Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Dect phones..
  • dbcooper
    Free Member

Almost disposable, the third set in 5 years is dying on us. Speakers failing, batteries failing, dropping signal. Any recommendations for a set of three that will last more than 3 years??

hammyuk
    Free Member

Home or business?
    I’ve used DectSys for years – business system but work great.

dbcooper
    Free Member

home

Cougar

Home landline? How very 20th Century of you.

Cheap DECT phones are hard on batteries as they spend most of their life on charge. Mine runs off AAAs though, so they’re readily replaceable (with something less crap).

CraigW
    Free Member

Recently got some Gigaset DECT phones, they seem pretty good, decent signal and sound quality. They use standard AA rechargeable batteries, so can be replaced if necessary.

brassneck

Home landline? How very 20th Century of you.

I do sometimes wonder why I bother plugging anything into it. Anyone I want to speak to has my mobile, it’s almost 100% cold calls on the land line now.

Can’t bin it till 4G data caps are a bit higher though.

Flaperon

Unplugged my phone from the landline years ago, no more spam calls for me. DECT also has the disadvantage of giving anything wireless in your home (ZigBee, wireless central heating etc) a headache.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Depends on how you use them too – rechargeables really don’t like being left on the stand all the time.
    They need to discharge.
    Until I moved – I had the same 3 part base/handset/handset as the office.
    Days of battery life, call transfer, on hold, internal calls, etc.
    Just have a single Gigaset no with no issues and a cupboard full of stuff to eBay! 😆

ericemel
    Free Member

Wow people still have land lines?

globalti
    Free Member

Yes, they are a cheap way of making phone calls.

phiiiiil

Can you get some kind of base station that just lets you use an app or somesuch on your mobile using your wifi instead? We still use the landline as the mobile reception isn’t up to much sometimes, but mobiles are so far ahead of any DECT phone I’ve seen in terms of useability it’s ridiculous. The phonebook on our landline phones are like something from twenty years ago…

toys19
    Free Member

Interesting, dect messes with wife-eye?

Cougar

Only in the US.

Cougar

Sorry, I’ll quantify that.

DECT operates at 1.8 – 1.9GHz in the UK. Home Wi-Fi is (usually) 2.4GHz. So they shouldn’t interfere (by design).

The US, however, has used 2.4GHz for phones in the past and this can obviously cause issues. I may be wrong but I’m not aware of this ever being the case in the UK.

40mpg

Can you get some kind of base station that just lets you use an app or somesuch on your mobile using your wifi instead?

I though of this when I started reading this thread. It would be ideal at home as we all have mobiles with us most of teh time, whereas the landline phones are in just 2 rooms.

Bit of googling throws up BT SmartTalk which uses a wifi connection to access your BT landline account from your mobile when making a call. Not sure if you can receive landline calls to mobile though? Anyone use this?

squirrelking
    Free Member

All well and good using your mobile but what if someone else needs to make a call when you’re out? What if the mast is down? Etc.

My mobile signal is shite unless I’m pressed against the font or back window or upstairs, again, non starter.

You pay line rental regardless (unless on cable) why not have a reliable backup?

brassneck

DECT operates at 1.8 – 1.9GHz in the UK. Home Wi-Fi is (usually) 2.4GHz. So they shouldn’t interfere (by design).

Shouldn’t, but I’ve noticed it. Thinking it’s either harmonics or the slope off of power from the centre point of the DECT frequency isn’t as severe as perhaps it should be. Whatever, moving the DECT unit a decent distance (3M or so) from the WLAN source/receiver seems to fix it.

Microwaves seem to be another common interference source. Not surprising with how cheap they are these days.

Cougar

I’d have thought that’s down to random RF noise though (you’d have to move it somewhat further if it was the DECT signal). Charging circuitry, perhaps? </random unfounded speculation>

brassneck

Would make more sense, but it was killing the Roku when it rang & was answered 🙂

phiiiiil

Bit of googling throws up BT SmartTalk which uses a wifi connection to access your BT landline account from your mobile when making a call. Not sure if you can receive landline calls to mobile though? Anyone use this?

I tried the TalkTalk equivalent; theoretically whenever someone rings your landline you can answer it on your mobile from anywhere with a decent data signal, and you can make calls as if you were at home, so much cheaper calls if you’re overseas for example. In practice incoming calls rarely rang on my phone, even when I had a perfectly good internet connection, and I never tried the outgoing direction before giving up on it.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Dect phones..’ is closed to new replies.