Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Decorating Experts – Anybody used that “Smooth It” stuff?
  • deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Have a room to paint in the house that has quite rough walls, but not quite rough enough to justify paying a plasterer to come in, skim them, wreck my house with dust and then fleece me.

The walls have a few cracks and quite a few dents in the old plaster which would take forever to fill and rub back individually. Also, where we had a leak from upstairs recently, some of the paint has bubbled, which is now all dry but will need to be sanded back flattish. So I’m tempted to try this stuff:

Anybody else tried it? I’m slightly reluctant because I know bloody well that there’s no such thing as a short cut when doing diy but maybe somebody’s used it and been successful. Or maybe even tried something else similar that they could recommend?

bigsi
    Free Member

I know a few decorators who all say its shite. One of them tried it on his own home and ended up getting a mate in to plaster it for him and another tried it in a clients house and ended up having to pay someone to come in and skim the wall anyway.

You said it yourself “there’s no such thing as a short cut when doing diy”. I wish there was 🙁

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

At £25 a tin, I reckon it would be cheaper to pay for it skimming properly.

I looked into it recently then decided against it – decided a small tub of filler and some sandpaper was suitable for my needs.

stumpy01

I bought the Ronseal equivalent recentlty and was quite pleased with it. I used this a couple of weeks ago.

I’m redecorating the hall/stairs/landing and the previous owner had put in a highly tasteful (erm) dado rail using something like No More Nails.
    Taking the rail off left a gouge around the whole wall where the glue pulled the previous paint off along with some of the surface of the plasterboard.

I found it best to use a decent sized scraper to apply it and built it up in layers. The first layer didn’t sit quite flush, so I did a second layer, once the first was dry.
    I am not sure it would be so easy on a large area, but on thin strip around the whole wall it was not too bad. It’s all painted up now and pretty indistinguishable from the rest of the wall (in fact, it’s smoother than the rest of the wall!).

twang
    Free Member

Scrape the loose off. Fill it with a wide, flexible, filling knife or a plasterers trowel, not a small, stiff scraper. The best tool to use, if you can get one is a dry-liners metal bladed spatular, which is basically a 10″ wide filling knife. Dont over fill it, press on hard and fill it flush, you want minimal rubbing down. Let it set and repeat on the deep stuff if needed. Best stuff to use is easifil, available from B&Q for about £12. (get a clean bucket to mix it in while you’re there!)
    There ya go, piece a p1ss!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Decorating Experts – Anybody used that “Smooth It” stuff?’ is closed to new replies.