Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Decking & Planning permission
  • tymbian
    Free Member

My current landscaping project requires a deck to be built. The ” before ‘ garden sloped up from the back of the house. at the top part of the garden I’ve removed 30m2 about 40cm’s deep of soil then a step down of about 50 cms and removed about 30m2 of soil ranging from 50 cm – 10cm to take some top-soil and turf form a flat lawn. The lawn will have 4 steps up to the deck which will actually be lower than the original height of the garden. will I need planning as the deck is more than 30cm’s higher than the lawn although the lawn is 50cms lower than it used to be?

The planing portal states.

Common ProjectsDecking
    Decking

You are viewing guidance for England. To view guidance specific to Wales, please select the ‘Welsh site’ option from the top right of this page.

Planning Permission

Putting up decking, or other raised platforms, in your garden is permitted development, not needing an application for planning permission, providing:

The decking is no more than 30cm above the ground
    together with other extensions, outbuildings etc, the decking or platforms cover no more than 50 per cent of the garden area.
    Please note: the permitted development allowances described here apply to houses not flats, maisonettes or other buildings. View guidance on flats and maisonettes here.

jam-bo

Have you got nice neighbours that you get on with?

tymbian
    Free Member

neighbors are cool.

footflaps

I’d just do it, odds are no one will be at all bothered and planning rarely enforce small transgressions.

jam-bo

neighbors are cool.

Then I’d let them know my plans and if they’re happy crack on.

wrightyson
    Free Member

It’s bolloxks really, who has a garden that flat? If you’re using a hefty timber such as an 8×2 plus a good thickness deck board you’ll virtually be at the permitted height without any deviation in levels.

pjm84
    Free Member

Not sure if the deck is attached to the house or situated on the bank.

I would write to them on the grounds that you believe the works to fall under permitted development guidance, and under the implication that the “ground” is defined as the highest ground abutting the works (which I assume the deck would not be 30cm above?).

Along these lines.

http://www.pas.gov.uk/pas/forum/thread-maint.do?topicId=201362

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Decking & Planning permission’ is closed to new replies.