Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Decent winter tyre for a rigid fork?
  • jimmyjuju
    Free Member

Need to swap out the sketchy Nobby Nic that came on my Salsa El Mariachi, mate of mine recommended Maxxis Beavers. Thing is, he’s a bit of a masochist and they look a bit skinny. Any informed opinions? The front rim is an oem Stans Arch Ex if it makes any difference…

dawson

2.4 chunky monkey from on one. Cheap, bit of volume and well spaced, doesn’t clog too badly (but depends on your local conditions)

fifeandy
    Free Member

Really depends what kind of riding you are doing.
    If its XC stuff (which i assume it is on a rigid) through deep slop then a narrow low volume tyre is what you want to cut down to the hard beneath.
    Bigger volume is more comfortable, but more likely to skate about on top of the mud.

coldlambcurry
    Free Member

I use a Conti Trail King 2.2 black chilli nice grippy tyre with decent sidewalls for comfort.

jimmyjuju
    Free Member

Thanks everyone.
    Ah… Yes it does depend – sorry – xc for sure (it’s SS) and I’m in Bristol area. Beneath the leaves is a layer of clay and beneath the clay a perfectly polished mirror…
    Seems like a simple balance between comfort and cornering death.

tomd
    Free Member

^ Chunky monkey was fairly horrendous on the front of my rigid mariachi in the mud. Clogs easily and seemed to slither lot. I can imagine it’d be good for gritty or loamy stuff in the wet though, just not my local clag.

I’ve just put a 2.3 Spesh purgatory on my salsa OP. Seems a good compromise between grip in mud and a decent all round tyre. It has enough volume to be OK fully rigid, also cheap-ish.

gravesendgrunt
    Free Member

I’m having fun on the new fat albert fronts so far this Autumn on my hardtail,loads of grip over all the debris on trails at mo and good volume(2.35) for comfort over the bumpy stuff.They are designed for soft/loose conditions.I’ve yet to be able to try them in the wet stuff though so time will tell.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Decent winter tyre for a rigid fork?’ is closed to new replies.