• This topic has 32 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by petec.
Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Decent weedkiller that won't kill my lawn.. Moon on stick?
  • nickewen
    Free Member

Since turning 30 a couple years back and buying a house with a garden I’ve turned into a bit of lawn freak.. (I even bough a feed spreader)

It’s now looking decent(ish) after some graft last year – fertiliser/feed (no weedkiller) spreading, aerating, scarifying, etc. However there are quite a few weeds in there.. I used to dig them out as deep as possible with one of them tools but the lawn just ended up patchy as there were so many and the weeds just come back.

Does anyone know of some magical weedkiller I can spread that kills the weeds without completely ruining the grass?

Cheers

crofts2007
    Free Member

Grazeon 90 or Grazeon pro, professional herbicide, top rated stuff, better than Vitax or Verdone.
    Use with a spray applicator with correct PPE.
    Can be cheaper if not from Amazon.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Weed-Control/Grazon-Pro-1-1LT-Grazon-Pro-Weed-Killer-Docks-Nettles-Thistles-Brambles-Safe-to-Grass-Pad/B01FPEY61O/

footflaps

I use the standard feed/weed/moss-killer stuff they (DIY sheds / garden centres) all sell in 25kg sacks. Keeps the lawn weed free.

submarined
    Free Member

This seemed like a useful thread for me, then I realised that moss is technically a weed to most in this context, and therefore I wouldn’t have any lawn left 🙁

nickewen
    Free Member

Cheers crofts/footflaps.

Lol @ Submarined. I had quite a lot of moss last year and could not believe how much moss and other crap the scarifier pulled out of the lawn! Think I filled 1 black sack from the mower and about 8 from the scarifier.. there wasn’t much green left!

footflaps

and therefore I wouldn’t have any lawn left

yes, I scarified all the moss off last month and am left with lots of bare earth patches. Hardly rained at all in the east, so haven’t been able to re-seed yet….

jekkyl

I’ve half a mind to let the moss take over the entire lawn.. It’s green, spongy and doesn’t need chopping every 2 weeks.

redthunder
    Free Member

Most of mine is now a wildlife pond and set aside long grass.

I only send the lawn mower around the perimeter.

The place is now crawling with life and feels great 🙂

yetidave
    Free Member

last year I scarified too early and the weeds took over before the grass. this year im waiting until the grass is doing well before scarifying and hopfully keep the weeds at bay.

redthunder
    Free Member

[url=https://flic.kr/p/TRbGzB]P1420799[/url] by SGMTB, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/TRbGKg]P1420800[/url] by SGMTB, on Flickr

Yes! I’m currently adopting five gnomes 🙂 and I like them.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/TRbGrF]P1420796[/url] by SGMTB, on Flickr

Mmmm…Moss.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/TRbGTH]P1420801[/url] by SGMTB, on Flickr

alanl
    Free Member
    Stoner
    Free Member

Another vote for grazon 90,now replaced by grazon pro.

Excellent stuff. A litre cost me an arm and a leg from the local agricultural stores, but will last me ten years

Not sure how easy it is to get hold of by the general public now though

jumble
    Free Member

using Grazon for a lawn is rather extreme. For me this is not appropriate use of what is basically a poison. This is bonkers.

senorj

I’ve used the evergreen stuff footflaps mentions. Sparingly.
    However,IMO ,nothing beats many hours spent picking out the pesky mini violets , moss, magnolia and apple seedlings by hand .Dandelions (bastids) are despatched on sight and I reseed any patches.sometimes patching with turf .
    I have to confess to being a bit of a lawn nerd.
    My grandads lawn was lush and some of his techniques must have subconsciously sunk in.
    This is our third summer in this house , lawn was a nightmare at first and it’s not bad now.
    Even Doreen my neighbour has allowed me on to her hallowed turf to do my magic. Ha.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

So what the £$*% do I do with this pile o shite. (the ‘grass’ not Wilma)

There’s a bloke coming on Saturday to price up for re-turfing. It’s either that or the pretendy stuff I mentioned on another thread.

Edit, Senor J, are you anywhere near or in, North Yorkshire???

wilburt
    Free Member

Weedol(grazon), dilute it in a pump action sprayer, treat a couple of times a year or just get some green karma points by popping them with a weeder or metal stick.

Google “lawn care nut” for more youtube lawn care esoterica.

wilburt
    Free Member

@egf
    Whatever you do(barring plastic grass) it’ll look like that again in quick time.

I’ve just revitalised my own lawn after two dogs demolished it by reseeding but you’ll need to keep Wilma off the lawn maybe build her a gravel patch and put a little low fencing around the rest.

senorj

@essel.. I’m too far south for you .
    You love wilma really. 🙂

glasgowdan
    Free Member

I can’t believe people actually hand weed their lawns. You’ll never get all the small things out. And they’ll just bounce back.

The KEY thing is not to overdose. If you over spray an area, even once, the grass is likely to die off. Broad leaf herbicides depend on surface area of the leaf. Grass ha a a thin leaf so absorbs less. One spray won’t affect it. Two will.

I have been using Relay turf the past few years. A single spray kills all the weeds for the season pretty much. Granular complete products depend on a granule happening to land on a leaf and staying there until it gets wet and dissolved, so obviously they miss a lot of the smaller ones. And the bags of evergreen are only 13kg from memory?

If you don’t want to buy a proper sprayer, just get someone in (NOT greenthumb!). I’d typically charge £30-40 for a 100m2 lawn, weed free for a year. Very few weeds year 2.

Personally, I’m going the other way and trying to create a rich and interesting garden for my kids, which will have clover, dandelions, moss and daisies!

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

You love wilma really.

She’s a ratbag. 😉

I don’t think it’s actually her that’s killed the grass off TBH. There was a LOT of moss around there before we got Wilma & I think I went a bit OTT with the Weed & Feed.
    If we do get re-turfed I’ll do what a mate at work did & keep a watering can with a rose handy to dilute the pee.

cheers_drive

A weed and feed and scarifying filled our wheelie bin with moss and thatch. Lawn is now full thin or bare patches but can’t seed as it’s been so dry for the past few months

Xylene
    Free Member

Bit of diesel will do the trick

funkmasterp

Essel, just go to B&Q with some of your grass and get them to colour match some paint. Just paint over the brown bits. I won’t tell anyone if you don’t. 😉

My lawn is basically dandelions and moss. I’m tempted to just have it all, but would miss watching the blackbirds and Doves of a morning.

Xylene
    Free Member

Just googled Paraquat which is available here in all DIY/farming shops.

Scary stuff, and yet so easily available, no wonder it is the poison of choice.

Do famrers in UK require licenses for their herbicides?

iainc

glasgowdan – if you fancy a trip to EK in the near future I’ll take you up on the

£30-40 for a 100m2 lawn, weed free for a year

…… mail in profile

bikebouy
    Free Member

One application per year, job jobbed.

welshfarmer

Yes. Very very strict rules on their purchase & use. As a farmer I cannot even buy Grazon or Roundup without a licence and a multi day course on its’ use, yet I can walk into B&Q and buy the exact same stuff and spread around the middle of a housing estate with no training whatsoever. Thankfully, having farmed organically for 12 years, I don’t feel the need to use the stuff anyway so not an issue for me 🙂

petec
    Free Member

Broad leaf herbicides depend on surface area of the leaf. Grass ha a a thin leaf so absorbs less. One spray won’t affect it

selective herbicides don’t work on the size of the leaf. They work on the differences between monocotyledons (grass etc) and dicotyledons (weeds)

here

footflaps

yet I can walk into B&Q and buy the exact same stuff and spread around the middle of a housing estate with no training whatsoever.

Not the same strength, the stuff in DIY sheds is very dilluted.

welshfarmer

As in the B&Q stuff is premixed rather than a concentrate to add to a tank full of water? While this would make initial handling safer I would expect the strength of both products being sprayed is the same.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

petec – Member
    Broad leaf herbicides depend on surface area of the leaf. Grass ha a a thin leaf so absorbs less. One spray won’t affect it
    selective herbicides don’t work on the size of the leaf. They work on the differences between monocotyledons (grass etc) and dicotyledons (weeds)

here

POSTED 3 HOURS AGO #

You’ll know then that any overspray will kill grass!

tinybits
    Free Member

You can buy concentrate from B&Q as well, so I suggest it’s strong enough to do some harm.

I used Weedol on mine, works (i think) buy getting the broad leaved plants to grow themselves to death. Seems to work but at first it’s effectively a weed fertilizer so expect it to look a lot worse before it gets better!

I did my lawn (about 1/2 acre) in 2 hours spraying from a back pack sprayer 2 weeks ago and the weeds seem to be starting to die now, Total useage was about 45l once diluted.

petec
    Free Member

You’ll know then that any overspray will kill grass!

No it won’t. They have different hormones. It’s like you not being affected by glyphosphate, yet it kills plants. Or insecticides that target juvenile hormones. They will not work on anything else.

Grasses are completely different to broadleaved weeds; there’s no way an overspray will kill them.

It may burn them – similar to too much iron sulphate – but it won’t kill grass.

Even the RHS says so

Hormone or growth-regulating weedkillers (such as 2,4-D from lawn weedkillers or rough grassland weedkillers like Vitax SBK Brushwood Killer containing triclopyr) leave grasses unharmed but can cause damage to broad-leaved plants.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Decent weedkiller that won't kill my lawn.. Moon on stick?’ is closed to new replies.