Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Decent shoes. Cheaney?
  • benz
    Free Member

Decided to invest in a good quality pair of shoes with classic styling.

So…pair of brogues with commando soles. Tried on a pair of Cheaney at my local old fashioned shoe shop and they looked well made and robust.

Any other brands I should be looking at?

Thanks.

Tracey

Have a look at some Barkers.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Cheaney are well made as are Trickers, both a cut above loake and barker. And do budget for some cedar shoe trees and don’t wear them every day.
    Avoid grenson as most are made in India and don’t last 5 min.

BillMC

Cheaney are good and have a factory shop. On a Saturday morning you could get round the factory shops of Cheaney, Church and Crockett and Jones if you go to Northants.
    Cheaney used to be owned by Church then they sold it to Prada who have now, I believe, sold it back to a couple of the Church brothers.

twicewithchips
    Free Member

Excellent way to invest – I thoroughly approve. Look after them well and they’ll last forever.

Have a look at Alfred Sargent – their range includes some ‘daintier’ shoes at the moment, but they do a good line in brogues. There’s a guy in Carlisle that does resoles, if you can’t get the commando sole on the shoe you want direct.

Take your time, make sure they fit, etc. A bit like Brooks saddles the breaking in process may be two-way…

I’ve had bits off these guys before too Shoe Shop – the saphir stuff is marvellous.

(edit for typo)

downhilldave

Have had some Loake brogues for over twenty years and still going strong. Also have some Grensons from the same era but not a brogue type.

Jamz
    Free Member

Goes without saying but make sure they fit your foot snugly.

With my lean feet and slim ankles I tend to get on very well with Cheaney’s but I’ve never found a pair of Churches that are anywhere near comfortable when worn over extended periods.

benz
    Free Member

Would the addition of a vintage Harris Tweed jacket from a charity shop be too much? I am over 45…..and wear shirts with cuff links….

twicewithchips
    Free Member

No problem – everyone will be admiring your shoes!

andermt
    Free Member

I would say there are around 11 decent manufacturers left in Northampton. (Plus Dr Martin still make some)
    Crockett & Jones
    Joseph Cheaney
    Edward Green
    John Lobb
    Church’s
    Trickers
    Barkers
    Alfred Sargeant
    Grenson
    Jeffery West
    Loake

I can’t comment on all as don’t own or haven’t seen in person shoes made by Alfred Sargeant, Grenson or Loake.

Cheaney are very good and well made, compared to some of the other Northampton brands their prices are reasonable I have a few pairs.

My person favourites are Crockett & Jones. One of the better makes at sensible-ish prices. Prefer them to some of the more expensive brands.

Edward Green are one of the best, along with John Lobb. But you do pay for the privilege, even from the factory shop.

Trickers are also very good but not one I’ve been inclined to buy, prefer the other brands.

Church’s are on a par with Crockett and Jones but they are more expensive and I’ve always felt they aren’t actually as good as they think they are, but that’s a personal thing.

Barkers are okay but only really the more expensive Barkers Black range is the top quality.

Jeffery West make some in UK but others in Italy. They are a bit different and not the normal English shoes.

If you are in the Northampton area Crockett & Jones, Tricker’s, Barkers, Edward Green, John Lobb, Cheaney, Church’s and Jeffery West all have factory shops. Friday is the best day to do the tour as they are all open that day.

TooTall
    Free Member

This’ll help you get around Northants if you decide to make the trip.

http://www.jackstephens.co/?p=25

It’s the only sort of non-bike shopping a chap should do!

bearGrease

Crockett and Jones FTW. Less in your face than many others.

Weasel
    Free Member

I’ve had about 3 pairs of Cheaneys – even found them in TK Maxx in the ‘gold label’ section.

In the past year I’m sure the price of shoes, even in the sales has shot up, Jones the Bootmakers were discounting Cheaney’s by about £25 in the winter sale

lunge

Cracking shoes, Crockett and Jones are similar in quality in my eyes. The other option is some Loake 1860, very nice range they are.

benz
    Free Member

Taken by Alfred Sargent too.

Jeffrey West? Got a few pairs of boots – the quality ones were made in Northhampton. Picked up 2 pairs at local fashion shop on their Jan sale some years back. At £25 a pair it would have been rude not to! Suspect they lost money on those. Also have some Jeffrey West but made in Italy and Spain. Nice to look at but not nearly as robust.

T K Maxx can have some decent shoes – you just have to be lucky. Sure I have some Barker from there which were very cheap to purchase.

Cheaney or Alfred Sargent??

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Cheaney or Alfred Sargent??

Crockett and Jones

Im on my 3rd pair, pair one is a black chukka boot still in superb condition after 8 years, pairs 2 and 3 were bought because of want rather than need.
    All 3 have been the same, they seem to mould themselves to your feet, fully broken in after 1/2 a dozen or so wears.
    I cannot recommend them enough.

andermt
    Free Member

The guys in the Cheaney factory shop have told me in the past that they off load the stuff they can’t sell to TK Maxx occasionally.

Some of the companies make shoes for other people. I have a pair of Crockett & Jones that I bought in their factory shop which have never been on any Crockett & Jones website etc, so assume they were made for someone else.

I have a pair of Cheaney’s I picked up in their factory shop last December which are in the Hackett 2015 Spring & Summer collection. Obviously a trial pair as their are some small cracks in the broguing. But then I spent £110 and they are on the Hackett site for £375. (The Hackett insole is replaces by a standard Cheaney one).

I always use the factory shops as I’m fairly local and I can’t really justify the full list price of the shoes, although I do have a pair of Edward Green which cost me the same in their factory shop as a full price pair of Crockett & Jones or Cheaney. They were a bit of an indulgence.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Decent shoes. Cheaney?’ is closed to new replies.