Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Decent riding in NW Leicestershire?
  • BehindBlueEyes
    Free Member

I’m living in Castle Donington right now and wondering what decent riding is nearby? I’ve been riding up at Grace Dieu quite a lot and basically want to find more of the same (although steeper and more technical is always good). I’ve had a look at the routes in the trail guide on here, but they’re not really the kind of thing I’m after.

Ta,

Matt

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

You will struggle to find anything steeper and more technical. There is more of the same sort of wooded singletrack in Swithland and Martinshaw woods and there are some cheeky trails around in areas in-between but I’m going to let you find these for yourself.

Merlinman

Gracedieu/Cademan is in line for considerably more tree work shortly – so expect the tight singletrack to be hidden for a while. If it deters the ‘diggers’ and their proliferation of half built jumps/pits that’d be a good thing 🙂

The car dumpers seem to have found their way in too and also the occasional MXer. Police have been active on that count recently. (I live within 400m of there)

Sorry but as stated above you’ll have to go a bit further north if you want steep and technical.

iain1775
    Free Member

where is this Gracedieu/Cademan Swithland and Martinshaw woods you all talk of?

OP – bit further away but Cannock Chase for DH courses is your best bet locally or some cheeky stuff in Shining Cliff Woods, Ambergate and Drum Hill north of Derby
    Jumps etc at Bestwood north of Nottingham
    other than that its probably Peaks or Wharnecliffe for anything steeper
    the Ticknall route on the ride guide is a good little local blast, definately the best you have the local area (im centre of derby btw)

vdubber67
    Free Member

You’ve hit the best of the local riding already really as people have said. You’re within striking distance of Sherwood Pines (yawn) if you’ve not been there maybe?

Failing that, have you checked out the stuff that you can link to Grace Dieu? A lot of it cheeky, but have a look at an OS map for the stuff around Whitwick quarry and a bit more over towards Shepshed?

Drop me a mail at rtedgeAThotmail.com if you want any specifics.

Ta

Rich

StuF

For a bit of a play there’s the Hemlock stone hill opposite Bramcote park in stapleford. There’s not much but you could waste an hour there. There is also a few bridleways going north of there but they’re not gnarly

Blackhound

Iain1775 (I am Derby city centre also) – Those woods are in the Shepshed area, used to go orienteering there 20-30years ago. Ridden road bike near there but could never be bothered to drive down to ride mtb. Rather go to Cannock or Chatsworth if getting in car.

I have ridden from Derby to Bramcote off road a fair to ride Hemlock area, and back via Nutbrook trail and Shipley Park.

BehindBlueEyes
    Free Member

Merlinman – There’s also some old clot who’s decided that bikes make the paths “muddy”, so has started dragging logs across the trails. Kinda ruins the relaxation. Those jumps scare the hell out of me! There was a freshly burnt out Astra down there last week.

Iain777 – drop me an e-mail at matt(at)southerndownhill.com if you want directions. Will give the Ticknall route a go soon then. I keep forgetting about Ambergate too, the DH was good fun last time I was there, but never got round to going back.

vdubber67 – Yeah, I nearly fell asleep going round Sherwood. Will drop you an e-mail, cheers!

StuF – Had a look at Hemlock a year or so back, but wasn’t too excited and got chased off by angry bees…

Merlinman

BBE – I spend hours removing the damn things – interrupt the flow 🙁

I did once challenge an old boy – yes even older than me, when I caught him him the act – he told me it was to stop the crossers – I bet he told the crossers it was to stop us bikers 🙂

I thought it was a Cavalier?

If you’re out near Robin Wood – it’s worth exploring there 😉

BillOddie

Steep and tech in Leicestershire… :howls with laughter:

Oh, there is “Dave’s Lament” in Swithland and there are a couple of steeper bits in Leicestershire foremost deer related tourist attraction, but no one ever rides there ever.

There is the Tetanus Shot line on Beacon Hill, I suppose but the Tech of that is increased by the Barbed Wire fear factor. (watch your elbows!)

BehindBlueEyes
    Free Member

Merlinman – Did he have long hair and three dogs? Dragged a load out earlier this week, I’m impressed the old boy can even move some of those trees.

Where is Robin Wood, never heard of the place.

BillOddie – Where do you park for Beacon Hill? I had a drive up there and ran into a couple of fellas who told me you get chased off my landies and then tried to sell cycle orienteering to me.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Decent riding in NW Leicestershire?’ is closed to new replies.