Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Decent quality 24" wheel XC bike for 13 yr old?
  • Digger90
    Free Member

Looking for a decent quality XC bike for my 13yr old son. He's extremely good at BMX and DH, and has a very modified, blinged-out Kona Stinky 24. BUT, that's his DH bike and we're looking for something much more pedal-friendly for XC duties.

Seems hard to find decent quality smaller bikes…. i.e. not Halfords-quality cr@p.

Any recommendations?

rolfharris
    Free Member

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-GB/bikes/model/xtc.jnr.team.24/5722/39222/

something like that?

Will he not fit a 26" bike yet, though?

avdave2

This is 26" wheeled but might be suitable.

genesis
    Free Member

How about a small 26in bike?

rolfharris
    Free Member

Saw one of those Islas at the weekend and swear to god it's the coolest little bike I've ever seen.

CHB

Get him a 14" on-0ne. My son has been riding one since he was nine so size should be OK.

avdave2

Our son is getting the Beinn 24 tomorrow and it looks even better in reality than in the photos on the website.

epicsteve
    Free Member

My 13-year old son has been on a small 26" wheeled bike I built for him for a couple of years now.

james
    Free Member

"has a very modified, blinged-out Kona Stinky 24"
    I hope it wasn't that one in MBUK recently ..

Isla seems to be the standard answer to decent non-adult sized XC MTBs

Digger90
    Free Member

Thanks folks – like the look of the Isla and the Giant.

Big-M
    Free Member

Interesting thread, I'm in a similar situation

CHB, how tall was your lad when you got him on the on-one?

My lad is 8 in March, he can handle his BMX and rides a Giant MTX 225 which is rigid and 24 but I want to get him something lighter and that he'll be able to ride further.

Those Isla's do look very good, but just buying a frame might be a more economical way forward, like everyone else I got a few spares kicking about in the garage that could go on a new frame.

Digger90 – Apologies for the hijack

coatesy
    Free Member

If he's happy with Kona then you could do a lot worse then a Hula or Kula 2-4,we've sold a few Hulas and they seem a pretty nice bike, and the boss' son has the Kula 2-4, well worth looking at.

Digger90
    Free Member

Any full suss options?

ratadog

+1 for the Islabike – just a class above everything else and everything sized for small people.

becky_kirk43
    Free Member

I quite like the giant…this specialized may be worth a look too
    http://www.specialized.com/gb/en/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=45770&eid=4360&menuItemId=9346
    although at his age, I really would look into getting a small framed 26" wheel bike – you'll have so much more choice and it may well fit him better.

mboy
    Free Member

How tall is he @ 13 to still need 24" wheels? He must be a midget! I'm pretty far from tall myself (probably bang on average height at 5ft 11) but by 10 years old I was already tall enough to ride small sized 26" wheeled MTBs.

Crell
    Free Member

I was at Islabikes last week picking up a small Beinn 20 for my 5 yr old daughter and the Creig 26 was very nice. As a package it's hard to fault. At 13, unless your kid is super small they should be fine on a small (12"-14") 26" MTB.

My 8 yr old has outgrown his Spec Hotrock 20. I've been thinking about building up a bike around one of these with my spares as an alternative to the Creig.

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/23366/Kinesis_MaxLight_KM210L_WomensJunior_Frame_2010

They come in 35 and 38 cm frame sizes with short HTs – ideal for kids. Granted I'll need to source some shorter cranks but I already have some reach adjustable brakes and a super short stem. I did look at the one one but for a kid I'd much prefer a lighter frame.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Decent quality 24" wheel XC bike for 13 yr old?’ is closed to new replies.