Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Decent Pub nr Queen's Hall, Edinburgh?
  • MussEd
    Free Member

Any southsiders on here willing to recommend somewhere to for a decent pint before Christy Moore gig at the Queen’s Hall tomorrow?

gecko76

Cask & Barrel on (I think) West Preston st.

stanfree
    Free Member

http://www.list.co.uk/place/100710-the-new-bell/

Was In the New Bell before having a lovely curry a few weeks back. Quite busy and decent beer.

hels
    Free Member

Decent pint ? I’d be in the Bow bar on Victoria St, it’s not that far away and Edinburgh has these odd wormholes that get you across town fast, like the Canongate. Southside is Studentsville so most pubs are “2 pints of foster for £2” type places.

If you like it Belgian there is the Centraal down below the Pear Tree or for a classier experience the Borough.

Garry_Lager

The 1/4 gill next door – a very Christy Moore type of alehouse. You might even see him in there before the gig.

bigjim

Bierex

hels
    Free Member

Yuck not Bierex if you want food – chose from their selection of small brown fried things last time I was there – unless you like that kind of thing of course…

cynic-al
    Free Member

Meadow/Moo bar?

Ages since I drank round there but IIRC it had nice ales.

Garry_Lager

closed down that one – not sure what’s there now.

MussEd
    Free Member

Meadow bar is shut, was at a big fire there a couple of months back. Don’t think it’ll be open for a while…

No food required. Or coffee or anything other than decent pint really. Well maybe some Seabrooks…the Cask and Barrell Broughton Street is a good pub so might venture in there sister pub(if that’s what is?)

Thanks for all your suggestions…

bigjim

Well not tried the food at bierex but it certainly used to have excellent beer, not been for a while though.

The Maltings used to be awesome and really popular, but I went in a year or two ago and apart from the new owner the only people in there were a bunch of old alcies drinking their own booze and shouting at each other, not sure if it is any better now.

Shame about the Moo bar, it used to be good, though allegedly it was being used by heroin dealers dropping and collecting stuff behind the bar, some drunk guy told me!

cynic-al
    Free Member

The Southsider is a bit Gash IIRC, serves awful Alloa beers, avoid.

There’s a wee one on a sidestreet near it which is OK I think…Greenmantle.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Decent Pub nr Queen's Hall, Edinburgh?’ is closed to new replies.