Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Decent pads
  • luigi_t8
    Free Member

I haven’t been having much luck with pads recently. I bought some new formula oro k24 a while ago and the pads they came with were excellent, they were like switches; but then in the lake district last year they suddenly became rubbish (I think I glazed them). I then decided to buy superstar organic pads(which was a bad move as I ride in the peak district, lake district and Cannock mainly). These pads have never been very good really and I glazed them pretty much straight away.

I now realise that for the riding I do there is no point in getting anything other than sintered pads:

My question is, can someone recommend some decent sintered pads that aren’t too expensive so I can get my brakes back to how they were working when new. ( I have looked at clarks which are fairly cheap and at formula pads but they are rather pricey. what are the superstar sintered like?)

thanks.

Northwind

I always used Superstar Sintered or kevlar in my Oros, worked well. The kevlars could lose their bite a little in cold/wet conditions but were a little better the rest of the time.

luigi_t8
    Free Member

ok, any where did you ride with them? which ones would be better against glazing? i seem to be doing a lot of that lately.

luigi_t8
    Free Member

I have compared prices and i can get a set of clarks sintered for the same price as superstar sintered. will the clarks be better?

nealy
    Free Member

I think they’re pretty much all the same so get whichever sintered pads are cheapest from superstar or uberbikecomponents etc. dragging the brakes can make them glaze so try to brake harder but just when you need to

andrewh
    Free Member

My default option is Alligator sintered.
    Decent performance and excellent longevity (done Gorrick 12hr, Keiler 100 and Tour of Ben Nevis on one set, which is still going!) Reasonable price too (can’t remember what off the top of my head, but sub-£10)
    For more bite EBC Redstuff are the best but these won’t last nearly as long. And are 50%+ more expensive.
    I have Formulas on all my bikes too. Formulea?

luigi_t8
    Free Member

just bought some clarks. £5.49 per set of sintered

Northwind

luigi_t8 – Member

ok, any where did you ride with them? which ones would be better against glazing?

Pretty much everywhere 😉 Trailcentres, downhill racing, trip to france, highland xc, bit of xc racing. Glazing wise, I did glaze a set of sintereds slightly. The kevlars are extremely good with heat- first time I did the world cup dh at fort william I deathlocked the brakes, the rotors went some very pretty colours but the brakes didn’t fade and the pads were fine afterwards- impressive.

I’ve stuck with the kevlars but I think they might wear too fast in the peaks, we don’t have that sort of gritty mud here.

TBH most pads are very similiar (some are identical)

PaulD
    Free Member

Alligators are £20 for 4 sets at XC-Racer.com

PaulD

nealy
    Free Member

Alligators are £20 for 4 sets at XC-Racer.com

PaulD

I can only see semi-metalic compound which isn’t sintered and won’t last one ride in the peaks

mikewsmith
    Free Member

What about formula sintered ones?
    Also what rotors do you run ire you overheating the brakes?

I use hope or ashima mostly not thwarted cheapest but work and last well. That’s my priority

nealy
    Free Member

Formula own brand pads at £20 a pair?! Nah, get them for £5 from above vendors.

Most rotors are made of stainless and do the same job so just get bigger ones if they’re overheating…or brake less 😀

downhilldave

I run Aztec sintered on my Formula R1’s. Best I’ve used, in fact stopped looking for anything better. Good performance wet or dry and don’t squeal. Lex’s were doing deals on 4 sets

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Formula own brand pads at £20 a pair?! Nah, get them for £5 from above vendors.

Most rotors are made of stainless and do the same job so just get bigger ones if they’re overheating…or brake less

Can’t comment on Formula pads as such but the Hope/Ashima have been better squeeled less and lasted longer than the generic cheap alternative. They also have a proper tolerance so that when fitted they are not so fat that they drag.

As for rotors I was meaning size.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Decent pads’ is closed to new replies.