Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Decent padlock?
  • ononeorange

Any suggestions for a really rufty-tufty chap that will have thieves running in terror of its awesomeness?

(Doesn’t need to be carried anywhere so weight is not an issue).

RustyMac

Hear is a heap of Padlock Info. What is your planned use? is it for a big heavy chain or for some kind of door/hasp lock?

neninja
    Free Member

Squire SS65CS Stronghold padlock is pretty much the best around.

ononeorange

Thnaks Rusty. This is for door security duties.

Will take a read through that lot.

Stoner
    Free Member

Ive always thought a closed shackle looks the most serious bit of business.

Stoner
    Free Member

in fact I use one of these on my shed (but made by abus): Has the same lock/key mechanism as the Abus D-locks and I like my Abus Granit and rely on it in London.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Look at some of the motorcycle locks – some serious padlocks amongst them

RustyMac

If the lock is for a door, you need to think about how secure the locking point is:- There is absolutely no point in getting a £120 lock if is is holding together a flimsy hasp that is screwed in place and could easily be leavered off.

To give you an example, on the shed at my mothers i installed a large brenton bolt with button head coach bolts which secure through the main uprights and cross members of the door and surround and put one of These Locks on the door and i would concider it to be a pretty good match.

In my oppinion where the Squire SS65CS really comes into its own is when used like THIS and the chain is secured through a ground anchor.

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

When I had stuff nicked they did the 11mm chain, not the Squire lock, although they could get to both. I’m still using the lock but have sidelined the chain for something thicker. In fairness to the chain itself the scrotes used (and ditched) some decent Irwin Record 42″ bolt croppers, I doubt anything of the thickness would have stood up to that. They had to cut both sides of the long link and the blades were heavily marked so it put up some fight.

Personally I don’t like ground anchors because it means the chain is at ground level and scrotes can use teh long arms of bolt croppers and floor as leverage. If the chain is up high enough (and can’t be pulled down) then they can’t lever so easily.

IMO, having been burgled, your and other’s POV may vary.

Having been burgled I now don’t rely on the chain. I’ve fitted heavier ones but they’re still in a garage. The house and garage are tied into one alarm so my hope is they won’t have time and cover to work on whatever is securing stuff at “leisure”.

Burglars and thieves, scum the lot of ’em.

neninja
    Free Member

I use one of these Abloy locking plates on a garage door with a large closed shackle padlock. They are very solid and very hard to attack from outside. To protect against internal attack the nuts are glued on the bolts (at some point I’ll put a couple of welds on them.)

http://www.lockshop-warehouse.co.uk/acatalog/Lockshop_Warehouse_Hasp_and_Staple_Padbars__and_Padbolts_41.html

ononeorange

Thnaks everyone. Reasonably satisfied that the fixed “furniture” is pretty tough, I didn’t want the padlock to be the weak link. Chased some little scrotes away from the neighbours garage last weekend (in broad flipping daylight, can you believe!!), so upping everything.

Cheeky – agree with the sentiments.

5thElefant
    Free Member

I had one of those years ago. It did good job of defeating bolt croppers for me but the design means that when the clasp is mangled you can’t actually get it open!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Decent padlock?’ is closed to new replies.