Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Decent, No, Great LBS pls
  • fazzini

In Newcastle and plenty of bike shops, however:
    Edinburgh Bikes – rude; don’t listen or care; unhelpful – with the exception of 1 member of staff who is always busy – not surprisingly.
    Evans (@ Metrocentre) – staff not very helpful and did not know an awful lot about mountain bikes – maybe I was just unlucky?.
    MSteels – useless buerk – ‘nah mate you definitely need this size I’ll order it for you……’ not even sat on a bike that size to see?????? No-one else around to save me.
    Cycle centre – couldn’t give a XXXX for anything else…..

Where to try next???? Help needed because like a lot of folks, I guess, I’d like to talk to a human who is knowledgable and cares about what I need not the sales target…….it’s not like I don’t want to spend my money in your shop.

Any recommendations please??

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Unforunately your’e gonna have to traipse down to Guisborough.
    Bike Scene.

fazzini

Day trip to the NY Moors it is then….second recommendation for Bikescene then…was hoping for somewhere closer but at least the scenery will be good!! Cheers esselgruntfuttock

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Ask for Craggsy, Ian or Anthony, tell them Jim the Geordie Yorkshireman sent ya

fazzini

Great stuff cheers ‘Jim the Geordie Yorkshireman’ – they’ll either know what I mean or throw me out laughing!! hahaha Thanks for the advice.

chrissyboy
    Free Member

Infinity at Durham gets my vote – a bit nearer than Guis, and on the way to Hamsterley too.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Which one’s that chris, Brandon/Meadowfield? If so Iv’e not been but heard decent reports about them.
    Haven’t lived in dear old Durham for 8 years. 🙁

muddodger
    Free Member

If you’re coming as far as Guisborough you may as well keep going to Westbrook Cycles in Stokesley.
    Far far more friendly than Bikescene (unless your spending lots) I used to live within walking distance but still used Westbrooks, luckily live nearer Westbrooks now!

neninja
    Free Member

What sort or make of bike are you looking for?

Westbrooks are excellent but the choice is limited to Trek, Scott and Cannondale.

Have a weekend away in the Lakes and visit – Biketreks (Ambleside), Keswick Mountain bike and Wheelbase (Staveley). That will cover pretty much all bases.

chrissyboy
    Free Member

Essel- Infinity are in Meadowfield, they moved a couple of years ago from the other side of Durham. I’ve used them a couple of times and it’s been good friendly service both times. Think they’re Scott dealers.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

My mate uses Westbrooks, (says he gets good service there), & Bike Scene (he lives in Stokesley) but his next bike is coming from Bike Scene. I haven’t found Westbrooks to particularly ‘friendly’ TBH.

fazzini

Thanks for the advice guys. As it happens I’m going over to Whitehaven next weekend so will call into Kes on the way home; and a mid-week trip to Guisborough is on the cards – just not a Wednesday as Bikescene are shut!! Cheers again.

fazzini

So it turned out to be the other way round…..Kes on Tuesday and Bikescene on Saturday! Guys at KMB were great so as I’m over the Lakes quite a lot with the family I’ll definitely be popping in there!

Must give praise where it is due – thanks for the tip esselgruntfuttock – Ian @ Bikescene was great – and unlike elsewhere really helpful, informative and actually gave a damn about it being right for you!! Was nice to a put face to the ‘screen’ name too Jim!!! Cheers again….I’m away to play on my new ‘toy’. 😀

o96192083
    Free Member

Give evans another go. Try in the week, as often on the weekend you get ‘saturday staff’ who are there to make money and that is all. Weekdays tend to be full time people who are actually knowledgeable.

edit: whoops just saw that, nice one, glad you got sorted

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

jebus – where to start?

you maybe just got the wrong person at Steel’s, as Blackie is a legend!

Stuart at Cestria is bloody wonderful, one of those guys who really goes out of his way to help you. Worth speaking to them. Further afield, Paul at Westbrook is worth a try too, all round good guy.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Pleased you got sorted Fazzini & nice to meet you too. Didn’t expect you to be dissappointed with Bike Scene. Thing i like about them is that they’ll sort you out with what YOU want & not with what they wanna sell you, & all the staff there are very knowledgable.
    The only thing I don’t like is it’s like Santas Grotto, toys everywhere!
    Mebbe a good thing I live 65 miles away.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

+1 for Stuart at Cestria Cycles in Chester le Street. Used to pop in just to chat about bikes, everything from BMX to racers. The shop doesn’t have the best selection of bikes, but if you want any work doing they’re ace.

Sanny
    Free Member

+1 for Biketreks in Ambleside. I consider them my LBS and I live in Glasgow! Sound advice, knowledgable staff, great stock and peerless trail knowledge.

Cheers

Sanny

rickmeister

@Sanny, plus they have a “Keith”… Great guy and makes a great coffee…

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Decent, No, Great LBS pls’ is closed to new replies.