• This topic has 48 replies, 26 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by br.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Decent kids bikes, someone had to do it.
  • ianv
    Free Member

http://lilshredder.com/2012_LIL_Shredder_Frames.html%5B/img%5D

These look awesome, no idea how much though 😕

rthomas17
    Free Member

My 6 year old just got very excited!

qwerty
    Free Member

Tim of the Sideways Cycles has a kids size Spot Brand custom frame and build, complete with shrunk down Pace carbon rigid forks, cut down White Industries cranks etc, I saw it in Bristol at the UK Handmade Bike Show, I believe it could be yours for a grand.

juan
    Free Member

Because obvioulsy you think a kid that small is going to have all the power to drag the weight of that uphill…
    If kid bikes are mostly HT or FR, there is a reason for that.
    However if you want a very nice kid bike have a look at scott range they have sub 10kg bikes for kids.

ianv
    Free Member

Because obvioulsy you think a kid that small is going to have all the power to drag the weight of that uphill.

I don’t think they are aimed at the Isla bike market.

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Jackson-Goldstone-Woodward-Spring-camp-video-2012.html

DrP

Me likey…

DrP

sputnik
    Free Member

Very cool!

juan
    Free Member

Well you still could have done the first bit with an isla bike. At the big green I was following a 7-8 year old who did all of it but the last tarmac climb, on an HT.
    Most important thing with a kid bike is weight and stability.

reedspeed
    Free Member

A grand !,is that frame only ?

jools182
    Free Member

Are they deliberately targeting gullible parents ?

jonathan
    Free Member

I suspect they’re targeting the very small number of kids whose skills go way beyond what most kid’s bike could cope with. Like any near-custom, small-scale builder I’ll bet they won’t make a ton of money… but those bikes look awesome 🙂

BoardinBob

£1k for something the kid will outgrow in a year?

ianv
    Free Member

I suspect they’re targeting the very small number of kids whose skills go way beyond what most kid’s bike could cope with.

Exactly! That FS would be perfect for a young ripper in the alps.

juan
    Free Member

That FS would be perfect for a young ripper in the alps.

PMSL. Off course it will, like the 20″ wheels are going to roll so well above the rocks in the alps. Sometimes you guys are geniuses.

GW
    Free Member

nice cranks, but they should be on a kids BMX where they belong.. as is any skillful bike riding kid.

Vid above is pretty lame until the kid gets on the right bike and ramps

Northwind

juan – Member

Because obvioulsy you think a kid that small is going to have all the power to drag the weight of that uphill…

I doubt they’re any heavier than the bikes I had as a kid tbh.

I think they’re ace, and I’m glad they exist but if I had kids they’d be on decent quality BMXs I reckon and once big enough, light-but-tough hardtails. But they’re still cool as.

bigblackshed

+1 for putting kids on small BMX bikes. This fascination with getting kids on to bigger and heavier MTBs serves no purpose other than lining trek / spesh / A N Other bike companies pockets. And it delays progression with developing good handling skills.

donsimon
    Free Member

This fascination with getting kids on to bigger and heavier MTBs serves no purpose other than lining trek / spesh / A N Other bike companies pockets

Are they heavier simply because they have gears? I mean kids don’t really need to ride with gears, do they?

randomjeremy
    Free Member

Hey that’s midgetist. Not all midgets are into wrestling you know, some want to ride decent bikes.

bigblackshed

Are they heavier simply because they have gears? I mean kids don’t really need to ride with gears, do they?

Gears, mechs, shifters, chainrings. Suspension????

skywalker
    Free Member

Starting on an FS is great for not developing any proper bike handling skills.

ianv
    Free Member

PMSL. Off course it will, like the 20″ wheels are going to roll so well above the rocks in the alps. Sometimes you guys are geniuses.

So is a good kid banned from riding bike parks because he/she cant fit a 24/26″ bike?

jonathan
    Free Member

I’m forever amazed ridiculous curmudgeonly attitude of some on this forum, it just makes my heart sink.

Are these people promoting these as “first bikes”? No. Are these likely to be an only bike for any of the kids lucky enough to get bought one? No. (My son as geared and SS bikes, and they’re not break-the-bank bikes like these.)

Are these beautiful bikes made for little people to hammer on? Do they look like you’d sell your brother/sister for if you were 6? Yes. I’m really glad someone is making stuff like this, and that some people (big and small) will get to enjoy some funky bikes.

Chill out and enjoy them for what they are, no more and no less.

geoffj

Jonathan +1

tomlevell

I already have an account accruing £10 a month just for such a bike in a few years.

I’m going to be such a bad parent.
    No you can’t have the full sus one as it needs a tensioner to be singlespeeded. You can have the other one only as you are going to grow a beard.

This appeared on my radar this week.

If it could have a front brake it’d be ace (ok with a new back wheel and a proper chainring and a chain…)

ferrit32
    Free Member

What is it? ^^^^

juan
    Free Member

it’s an actually usable kid bike. Long wheel base, very slooping light, it only needs a few gears.

tomlevell

Juan it’s for a 3/4 year old. Gears are not required.
    It does need a front brake IMO even if you remove it to start with.

http://www.earlyrider.com

ferrit32
    Free Member

No Sh1t Sherlock, I was after a bit of a clue as to who makes it etc.

Crell
    Free Member
    ianv
    Free Member

Off course it will, like the 20″ wheels are going to roll so well above the rocks in the alps.

Kid on 20″ wheels looking totally out of his depth in among some rocks. 🙄

All the comments about BMX, Singlespeed, fully rigid etc. etc. miss the point about who and where a bike like that is designed for. A kid with one of these will most likely have (at least) a bmx as well but no one in their right mind would consider riding a bmx through a rock garden for enjoyment.

skywalker
    Free Member

All the comments about BMX, Singlespeed, fully rigid etc. etc. miss the point about who and where a bike like that is designed for. A kid with one of these will most likely have (at least) a bmx as well but no one in their right mind would consider riding a bmx through a rock garden for enjoyment.

So you think by the age of five they would have learnt enough skills to ride a skills compensator and stop them learning any further? Doubt it very much.

jonathan
    Free Member

By the age of 5/6/7 some kids are very skilful and would really enjoy riding a good, properly small, full-susser. It’s not going to stop them learning – would riding a full-sus stop you learning? Of course not, it’s just a different style of riding that a lot of the time feeds back constructively to all your riding. It opens up new terrain and highlights different lines choices and puts all your riding in a different context. Skilful kids would be just the same.

It’s a fairly ludicrous notion that suspension is just skill compensation. Maybe it can limit beginners in understanding bike handling, but the kids these bikes are aimed at are not beginners, they’re just small and young, and often very eager to learn and improve their riding.

One of the problems is that the majority of suspension we do see on kids bikes is more of a hindrance than a help. It’s heavy and often simply doesn’t work. But if I could lay my hand on a nice light, supple, air-sprung fork for a 20″ wheeler then I’d be after it like a shot (finances allowing!). 20″ wheels really can struggle in the rock gardens, small drops etc that are regular features of a lot of our riding. Some good sus on a little bike could go a long way in making these trails more enjoyable.

It’s such a shame that we see so many kids shoved to early onto 26″ wheeled bikes (with good sus and disks etc) that are often far to big for them because there simply aren’t good smaller wheeled bikes available. Now that can definitely hinder their skills I think.

shaggmiester
    Free Member

Nice bikes!!! I reckon they’d be great as a second bike. Good to see some REAL mountain bikes for kids!. I think kids are better on a rigid or bmx though as they’ll learn to pick lines better, the vital ingredient for mountain biking 🙂 Theyre also lighter and more nimble for kids to learn on, than all these cheap shite so called mountain bikes they’re selling kids at the moment, which is false advertising cos theyr just gimmicks, i think they should ban em! 😀 cos kids can’t pedal em and they lose interest and it’s not good for the sport! 🙂
    Anyway, cheers for the bike Ian, Seth loves it! 🙂

RichPenny
    Free Member

No Sh1t Sherlock, I was after a bit of a clue as to who makes it etc.

The massive sticker on the downtube not enough, Watson?

skywalker
    Free Member

would riding a full-sus stop you learning?

Well yeah, which is obviously why I said it.

They make you lazy.

randomjeremy
    Free Member

🙄

patriotpro
    Free Member

I don’t get why a debate has to break out at the smallest opportunity.

These are just ace looking bikes – cheers for the pics!

skywalker
    Free Member

What do you mean 🙄 its a fact.

ianv
    Free Member

Anyway, cheers for the bike Ian, Seth loves it!

Good to hear, glad its got a good home 😀

Better not mention the fact it has suspension forks or it will kick up another s++tstorm 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Decent kids bikes, someone had to do it.’ is closed to new replies.