• This topic has 19 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Spin.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Decent 2 man tent recommendation
  • gravity-slave
    Free Member

Just been camping and my 20 year old Wild Country Sirocco is leaking and showing it’s age – a good chance to replace and solve my niggles with it.

It’s a ‘side loader’ so end up climbing over each other.
    It’s a shallow dome, pretty flat, so not much space near the sides.
    Porch is about 40% of the footprint but shallow so not that useable.
    Door awkward to get in.

I fancy something a bit longer, straighter sides with a good porch and a door on the end.

It doesn’t need to be super small or light – mostly campsites, fields, possibly a very small hike, odd bit or ‘wild’ camping. I just want a small tent for easy pitching and packing but enough room to move about, 2-3 nights, with good organisation/storage inside.
    I don’t mind camping in any weather but not usually winter.
    We have a big 4 man tent for family use.

Top of the list is a Wild Country Trisar 2D, seems to fit the bill.
    End opening, 2 porches, pockets, looks like it’ll be weatherproof.
    http://www.outside.co.uk/shop/Trisar+2D

Any thoughts of other suggestions?

muttley109
    Free Member

I just bought a vango omega 350 which is a 3 man but they do a 2 man version. Decent size porch on it so I can chuck the bike in there if needs be.

pirahna
    Free Member

I bought an Exped Mira III HL a few months ago, openings on both sides with reasonable porches both sides. The cheapest place I could find was http://en.aventurenordique.com/ but for some reason the Pound appears to be worth a bit less this week.

grantway
    Free Member

Tarptent or try the trusted Wild country Zephyros

trail_rat
    Free Member

“vango omega 350 “

i wouldnt. They dont last very long – the groundsheet isnt very waterproof from the start and the poles are flexy like they are made from elastic.

we took a once used wild country hoolie 2 etc and friends took a new omega 350 to skye.

on the first night i was jelous of the extra space in their porch (height) given the 2 look similar.

by the third night – side by side pitched i was glad to note my hoolie was waterproof from underneeth – the omega had soaked the occupants from the bottom up – all their gear as well.

And took a battering in the wind such that it perminantly no longer has the shape it was designed with.

the hoolie which was pitched beside it was both dry and remained its designed shape the whole time.

muttley109
    Free Member

I hope mine isnt that bad! it’s replaced a vango spirit 200 which had hard use for a good 9 years before the pole sleeves finally split. During that time it encountered some pretty bad conditions and never leaked or died in the wind.

Spin
    Free Member

I hope mine isnt that bad! it’s replaced a vango spirit 200 which had hard use for a good 9 years before the pole sleeves finally split.

I was always a Vango fan but the quality seems to have dropped recently. Sorry!

firestarter
    Free Member

I’ve had a Vango omega 350 about ten years it’s still going strong

scuttler

@muttley109

Surely you didn’t need to post that pic. Entirely unnecessary to the outcome of the thread. Git er nice pic FWIW.

muttley109
    Free Member

Hahaha well i thought it was a good representation of what my previous vango tent dealt with. And its probably the best photo i’ve ever taken so any chance to show it off I do!! 😀

CheesybeanZ

I’ve been looking for a 2/3 man and the Vango Halo 300 is winning at tge moment.

Swelper
    Free Member

I’m on my second one of these 1st one was heavily used for appx 8yrs. Easy and quick to pitch. Can fit a double aired easily. Very sturdy and not too cramped. Can hold 2 people easily

https://m.blacks.co.uk/product/robens-fortress3-man-tent-grey/001007

ade9933
    Free Member

Happy with my vango mirage 300. Not used it in great extremes tho.

ironnigel
    Free Member

Vaude Hogan for more than 10 years. Bombproof in all weathers. Ludicrously quick set up. Never an issue with ventilation. Still my go to tent when camping on a site. If wild camping, multi-day walking or bike packing it’s a tarp these days.

Just had a look on the Vaude website. The Hogan no longer has the exo-poles. The ‘Mark’ does though.

firestarter
    Free Member

I tell a lie mine is an equinox but it looks exactly like the omega

onehundredthidiot

I get banshee 200s for dofe groups because they last.

Lazgoat
    Free Member

I have a Hilleberg Nallo 3GT, bigger than your after, but they are fantastic tents, might be worth a look.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Some interesting suggestions as always, thanks for the input.

I’m not after a super light tarp/tunnel/backpacking tent, the banshee/tarp/zephyros are too small for what I want.

The Hilleberg does look great but for the amount of camping it’s over budget.

Definately want an ‘end loader’. Don’t need a huge porch.

Vango’s looks OK, the Hoolie 2 looks nice but still drawn to the one I suggested. Any reason not to? I’m going to try and see if I can see one pitched somewhere.

kcal

Wild Country / Terra Nova Quasar are bomb proof and last ages.
    Still got mine from when top end was WC.

End loading, two decent porches, strong as hell, prob. can carry between you and def. out the car..

Spin
    Free Member

still drawn to the one I suggested. Any reason not to?

Relatively heavy and inner first pitching but it depends on how you feel about those things in relation to your intended usage.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Decent 2 man tent recommendation’ is closed to new replies.