Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Decathlon Kid’s bikes. Anyone got one?
  • Harry_the_Spider

Ollie The Spider is growing out of his Ridgeback MX14 so he needs something bigger.

Anyone got one of these? Is it any good?

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/16-hyper-hero-id_8155993.html#avantages

We’ve done the Isla Bike thing and whilst they are brilliant I’m not going to blow a massive wad on something that he will grow out of inside 12 months.

The Ridgeback is good to, but the MX16 is £55 more expensive than the Decathlon bike.

mogrim

We had the girl’s version of that, it’s heavy (but then so are most kids bikes as far as I can see), but it worked fine – no major problems with bearings dying or the wheels falling off for example. I wouldn’t hesitate to get another one.

the-muffin-man

I’ve had several Decathlon bikes for my daugther and they’ve all been good – we had a variation of that one and its still going strong (with relatives kids) 5 years on.

Harry_the_Spider

Ta. Any other suggestions for 16″ wheel bikes in the sub £100 price band?

I would like a CNOC16 but the money is a bit silly.

ocrider

As you know, you pay a serious premium for light kid’s bikes
    If he’s big enough, have you considered an 18″ bmx? There’s one on the Halfords website that looks good VFM and it couldn’t be any heavier than the Decathlon ones.

the-muffin-man

Decathlon bikes aren’t heavy – they won’t be a light as Isla Bikes but they’re a lot lighter than the tat Toys’r’Us and Halfords sell.

And kids don’t care at that age!!!

Harry_the_Spider

Just been looking at the Ridgeback MX16. It has an aluminium frame so it will probably be lighter than the steel framed MX14 that he has at the moment. He does struggle a bit on inclines but I don’t know if this is the weight or the increasingly cramped geometry.

He’s got a load of cash in the bank after Christmas and his birthday. I think he should buy himself a new bike. 😉

Garry_Lager

Our 4 yo lad has just started on the 14” decathlon bike below that – seems really heavy to me but maybe that’s standard as people are saying [Going from his balance bike, which was superlight and manouevrable, onto it actually took ages because he didn’t like the new bike].

The drivetrain looks a bit odd on the 14” one, I’ve not actually had a close look at it but it doesn’t appear to have a chain and looks a bit rinky dink? Maybe the 16” isn’t like this.

mogrim

Decathlon bikes aren’t heavy – they won’t be a light as Isla Bikes but they’re a lot lighter than the tat Toys’r’Us and Halfords sell.

This – when my girls grew out of their Decathlon bike I got them bikes from more established brands: Orbea and Conor (both pretty big in Spain). Neither of them is particularly light, either… I don’t know how much you’d have to spend for a light kid’s bike, but given the speed they grow I don’t think it’d be a wise investment!

ads678

My lad rides a Carrera Blast 16, I only paid £115 for it after i searched around for various discounts. well worth the searching though as it’s a great bike and not much heavier than the Isla, which is probably due to the suss forks (which actually work as well).

Not all Halfords sell is heavy tat!

No idea about the decathlon ones though sorry.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Decathlon Kid’s bikes. Anyone got one?’ is closed to new replies.