Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Decathlon Inflatable kayak
  • daftvader
    Free Member

Morning. I’ve been trying to find a reasonably priced dual kayak for me and the lad, I do t want one with a spray deck so it’s sot or inflatable. Does anyone have any experience of the decathlon itiwit ones? They look (online at least) pretty similar to the sevylor/gumotex ones at a better price. Plus can be paddled solo if need be (when he inivetablu decides it too much work)
    Cheers

AlexSimon

They looked good in the flesh when I had a prod about. As good as the Sevylor next to it, but you can never tell how robust the bladders will be inside.
    I didn’t inspect the seating though.

The proper gumotex ones made from Nitrilon are a definite leap above though. I have a Scout and had a Palava before that and they are superb. Feel like they would last forever. The Palava sold for more than I bought it for too.

daftvader
    Free Member

There in lies the issue. I have a limited budget of about 300…. the gumotex Ines are waaaaaay more than that, even second hand

AlexSimon

Yes, agreed. I came away from Decathlon thinking they would be a good budget option.

AlexSimon

(but I’d still buy a Gumotex Solar)

AlexSimon

I always thought the Stearns Backcountry looked just the ticket.
    I can’t find them new any more, but there’s one on Ebay at the moment:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stearns-Back-Country-Inflatable-Two-Person-Canoe-/152612671546?hash=item23886c903a:g:QEYAAOSwbtVZXPhC

Edit: and another:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stearns-Back-Country-inflatable-Kayak-/122588824824?hash=item1c8add04f8:g:D4QAAOSwUIhZYcmO

Mister-P
    Free Member

That second one is only up the road from me. Now I need to justify buying another toy.

irelanst
    Free Member

We’ve had one just over a year now, mainly canal use but it’s been in the sea a few times. Haven’t had any issues yet. They are a lot harder to paddle than a rigid one though.

daftvader
    Free Member

I know they’d be harder to paddle. But I don’t want to be left with a double kayak that I can’t paddle on my own. I will be getting a single sot for me as a fishing/play boat but I’m trading a custom knife for that. But need a budget option for me and the lad to do stuff on the canal, and a couple of hundred meters off shore for a bit of mackereling over the summer

giant_scum
    Free Member

Have had a Decathlon one for 3 years now, it’s the 3 seat one although the middle seat is really for a non-paddler and can be removed easily!
    Build quality seems to be as good or better than the similarly priced Sevylor one.
    Only issues we’ve had has been water getting in through the drain hole but this was due to sand being in the seal.
    Also one of the inflatable tubes seems to be twisted but that is only an aesthetical issue.
    With regards steering and paddling my 3 kids(16,15,10) seem to manage fine and with me and the youngest it’s a breeze to paddle.

dissonance

My dad has had one for several years. He has taken it abroad a few times for the Rhine etc. Used it a few times on local rivers. Two seat is comfortable for a couple of adults. Works pretty nice although struggles a bit in the wind and when it gets choppy.

seosamh77
    Free Member

just bought a cheap and nasty effort out of aldi, 40 quid! 😆 Think it’s probably more a lilo with sides, but looks alright!

Heid first doon the nearest rapids! What possibly can go wrong?

seosamh77
    Free Member

https://www.aldi.co.uk/crane-inflatable-kayak/p/094857153602600

looks fine for flat water, lightly rough water anyhow.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvveOvcPvoc[/video]

daftvader
    Free Member

Thanks for the replay people! I looked at the Lidl one but figured going for somewhere that have them in stock more than once a year would be better… going to get the 2 seater one. Gives me a bit more to spend on paddles and buoyancy.

chrisylad24
    Free Member

I looked at the decathlon kayaks and sevylor Wabash and in the end went for the sevylor but to be honest don’t think there’s much difference used the sevylor a couple of times on a local boating lake it seems ok. Paddling with two was faster but I moved the seat to the middle and had an hour on my own and it performed better than I thought it would so pretty happy with it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Decathlon Inflatable kayak’ is closed to new replies.