Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Decathlon chain whip (without a chain)
  • craig24
    Free Member

Not sure if this has been done already –

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/chain-whip-cassette-remover-id_8309913.html

Anyone tried one? Looks spot on and an improvement over a traditional chain whip.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

I bought one for use at work. It’s brilliant. I’ve had bikes in where the cassette is so worn the chain whip skips and some where the lock ring is so seized the chain has broken. This tool has never failed though.

johnw1984
    Free Member

I like that!

So simple, but so effective. May have to pop down and buy one.

craig24
    Free Member

Think I’ll go grab one tonight then, snapped by cheap chain whip yesterday.

mattyfez

I too am on the hunt after snapping the chain on my chain whip.. What exactly does it lock onto though.. Do the round nubs sit between the sprocket teeth?

jimfrandisco
    Free Member

yes – there’s a video on the decathlon page showing in it action.
    I’m sure someone will be along in a minute to call me an idiot – but how come this has never been done before, just seems so simple.

TiRed

And if you are running a 12-25? Are there different patterns for dofferent sprocket So?

EDiT. Double sided :-). Nice. Wonder if it can handle my track sprockets?

acidchunks

And if you are running a 12-25? Are there different patterns for dofferent sprocket So?

yep, on the other side to the one shown in the pic. same pattern, different spacing.

mattyfez

Thanks.. I was going to ask about 12t.. Does it cope with the new 10t sprockets too? Not that I have or intend to get a 10t..I’m sold I’m gonna buy one.. Little bit more than I want to spend but it looks like an improvement on traditional chain whips.

fitnessischeating
    Free Member

I’ve been using the pedros vice whip (or similar name…)
    Spendy but never regretted buying it.

mattyfez

Doesn’t do 10t..but hey.. I’m very tempted anyway.. I’ve always found chain whips to be a complete pain in the proverbial.

JoeG
    Free Member

Its a copy of this.

Edit – they’ve been around for a loooonnnggg time. I guess that no one knew about them since they aren’t blue…

dingleberry
    Free Member

Another Pedros Vice Whip here, loads less faffy than a normal chain whip. Looks like the price has gone up a bit though – mine was only about £35! Which I admit is still quite a lot…

Decathlon idea looks good for 12 quid though!

mattyfez

‘hyper handle’ obviously need to step up thier game in the marketing department then!

The principal seems much more sensible than wrestling with a chain whip.
    The only concern with these is the handle looks quite short, but if they grip better then great.

craig24
    Free Member

Went and picked one up last night, just took my cassette off in minutes, the same one that snapped my chain whip.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Are you all trying to use the chain whip with it wedged between your buttcheeks ? Ive never been able to describe my useage of a chain whip as wrestling,

Those pedros vice cassette grips are good unless it been put on by a hamfisted oaf when it was built and ergo tight

Or your trying to remove a very tight track sprocket. I struggled with leverage with the vice grip one.

Park sr2 provides plenty leverage to get most stuck things off 🙂

BobaFatt
    Free Member

I bought one of the Decathlon tools yesterday, Ive killed two chain whips trying to get a cassette off a wheel, this was a revelation and worth every penny compared to the the standard style.

wrecker
    Free Member

I have a unior one. It’s brilliant.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I also have a Pedro’s vice whip but never failed with the chain type. If the cassette is that badly worn, wrap it around a smaller sprocket so the whip presses down on the free end of the chain.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Decathlon chain whip (without a chain)’ is closed to new replies.