Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Decathlon 29ers – anyone got one?
  • MoreCashThanDash

Popped into Decathlon to get a cheap sports watch and got distracted by this

Bargain big wheels – possibly

I’m guessing corners have been cut to get it to that price, but it looked a great way to scratch the big wheel itch. Anyone tried one?

Their baggies looked decent for the money as well, btw.

MoreCashThanDash

Are you all outside actually riding them?

MoreCashThanDash

Really not popular then?

HughStew

I don’t know about that specific bike, but Decathlon bikes tend to be v good value.

Wally

I don’t think they have any/many in stock.
    Or they are a very new line. Lakeside certainly have none on show.

I have a BTwin full carbon road bike and had a mountain bike, I regularly purchase and chat to the French mechanics. The warrenty is faultless. Recommended.

project
    Free Member

Went to the warrington store last week ,didnt see any but got some lycra shorts, multi pannel for a fiver each 2 year guarantee, and weirdly the last ones i got i still wear after 3.5 years, they do get washed frequently though.

Cheap cycling shoes and sunglases there as well.

Problem with shop berancds is when you decide to sell it has the value of a rice pudding skin, not many buy shop branded bikes s/h

cp

It’s an ok spec, but this is similar and 100 quid cheaper

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CBOOPWX5/on-one-parkwood-sram-x5-mountain-bike

MoreCashThanDash

Fair point cp – for some reason I’ve never liked the look of the Parkwood, or Sram shifting.

The Nottingham store had one if anyone nearby wants to look at one in the flesh

cp

Crikey, 620mm bars on that b twin

I think decathlon do great cheap end bikes but I’m less convinced above about 300 quid.

I’m a very big fan of lot of their own brand stuff though, clothes and shoes are very keenly priced for what they are and what the named brands offer.

mtbel
    Free Member

I’d be the first to admit I’m completely out of touch with 29er hardtail pricing but is a bottom of the range rockshox fork, Deore drivetrain and Tektro brakes really all £750 gets you these days?

edhornby

my brother (tthew on here) had a decathlon bike and really liked it

but at this price point there is this

http://www.merlincycles.com/sensa-livigno-tnt-sport-29er-mountain-bike-2015-75665.html

there is also the classifieds, there are some corking bargains on full bikes…

Inbred456
    Free Member

I’ve just got one of these to scratch that 29er itch from Pauls Cycles for £499.
    http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m1b0s155p5408/CANNONDALE-TRAIL-SL-29-3-2014

cp

That Sensa is a real bargain!

prawny

The decathlon mtbs are very xc generally, good value though, I liked mine but wanted something more gnar (obvs)

The baggies are decent, but a smidge short and lacking pockets but tbf, I wear mine more than any of the others I have. The Lycra bibs are great, especially the higher range ones

tthew

Are the XC range forks any good? I’d prefer the 32’s of the Decathlon over the 30mm on the others, could be a bit twangy on a 29er.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

cp was about to berate you for recommending a bike as ugly as the parkwood. Then I had a look at the decathlon. Yakk. Am 29 curious and fancy a race bike but it’s looking spendy. That sensa LOOKS ok, but 12.9kg?

ads678

I had some xc32’s on an inbred 29er, thought they were decent for the price. I paid £99 for them.

bikeneil
    Free Member

but it looked a great way to scratch the big wheel itch

It takes a lot more than big wheels to make a good 29er!

will
    Free Member

The Pinnacle Ramin range looks very good:
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/pinnacle/ramin-three-2015-mountain-bike-ec071314

I’m looking at a Ramin One as a second 29er, and for £500 it looks a great bit of kit.

Northwind

Voodoo Bizango comes in at £600, bit heavier/sturdier/trailier than some of these but probably the best sub-grand bike I’ve ever ridden

stanfree
    Free Member

I got one of thesesecond hand for £450 but even new at £760 I think It’s a decent deal. That said I’d happily ride a Btwin as , as others have said they are solid well specc’d bikes. The way I looked at mine was just replace the fork with a better one and eventually get a better wheelset and you have a pretty tidy wee bike.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Decathlon 29ers – anyone got one?’ is closed to new replies.