Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 146 total)
  • Debt………or the lack of.
  • nwilko
    Free Member

debt averse yorkshireman, £60k mortgage ~40%LTV.
    clear the credit card every month.

dont see the point in buying flash tat as a hobby..

brakes
    Free Member

yorkshireman in being a tightwad shocker! 😉

Kevevs
    Free Member

£3600 to go! down from 0ver £9000 in 2007, so I’m going the right way. I know friends who have run away from £5000 student loans though, and changed their names by deed poll, to call themselves “debt free”!

loddrik
    Free Member

Thoroughly depressing reading this thread btw.

Tbh it’s not the debt as such that bothers me as my car is nearly paid and I’ll never have another credit card or buy consumer goods on HP and I don’t really class my student loan as debt. I have at least 25 years to go on a mortgage which is probably not far off what my house is worth with the last couple of years fall in prices.

So at this rate I’ll be 62 before it’s paid off… 🙁

Though I guess when the kids are old enough and nursery fees are finished with then overpayment is doable. Unless I start buying unnecessary bike bits…

druidh
    Free Member

I do have a little debt – but only because I make more from investing the funds than I pay in servicing the debt.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Loddrik there aren’t that many folk around who are gonna retire before they’re 60 so if everythings manageable I shouldn’t get too hung up on it!! Then there’s always the ability to downsize once you’re rid of the kids, however looking at it that’ll probably when there in their mid 20’s the way things are going 😯

warton
    Free Member

Mortgage, about 133K – less than 70% of house value
    Credit Card 3.5K
    Student loan 14k – this is one thing I always forget about and when I think about it I get pissed off, I’ll be 50 before its paid off at the current rate of repayment..

donsimon
    Free Member

Nothing as the car loan is about to be paid off, cash is waiting in the wings.
    No credit cards, I refuse to have them.
    Hard as it is I don’t want consumer credit either even though there are thing that I need, I can live without them.
    Not interested in a mortgage after seeing how much the banks wanted in charges and inerest, I will buy with cash. Even with all the charges the greedy feckers can screw up the economies.
    I see the greed and living beyond means as the main contributor to the current crisis.
    Smug? Me? Never… 😉

ononeorange

I was brought up with a strong aversion to debt, and until recently was entirely debt-free (rented). Bought a house last year and now have a mortgage the size of a large elephant which scares the life out of me, but we’d had enough of ******* landlords. It may be late in life to be in so deep, but hey that’s the penalty of getting attached to someone in my 30’s who cynically took all my money and tried to get the house, essentially I had to start again despite having always been careful with money. But I’m not bitter, oh no.

If I use my credit card I always pay it down, except this last month I didn’t as I had several thousand pounds of annual season ticket on it. I was horrified at the size of the charge at the end of the month – I was completely unaware that they charge interest on the whole amount not the balance outstanding (I’d paid some off during the month) – now I see why credit cards are such good business and how they are the route to hell if the consumer doesn’t manage them properly. I won’t be doing that again.

Pieface

I hope to pay off my only credit card in 2 months – Its one that has had about 3-5k on it rolling from one balance transfer to another. I have had no overdraft for some years. I have a small amount of savings for emergencies, but once I’ve settled the credit card I’ll have substantially more disposable cash.

Apart from that I have the mortgage and student loans, however I’ve got used to the amount that goes out so not really noticeable, but it will be a bonus when I pay them off in a year.

So apart from the mortgage, not a lot really.

ourmaninthenorth

I come from a family that has a poor history in personal financial management. How my father has never been made bankrupt, I have no idea.

It didn’t give me a proper training when it came to managing my own money. Consequently, Mrs North and I managed to rack up a sizeable unsecured debt in our 20s.

But we’ve cleared that and, apart from a small amount on a CC (which I’m going to pay off in 10 minutes), an interest free car loan, and the mortgage, we have no debt.

But, by god, we still spend money like water..!

MrSmith
    Free Member

we are the most indebted (personal debt) nation in the G7
    interesting to see various comments from those who don’t perceive themselves as in debt despite loans, mortgage, HP or CC.

philconsequence
    Free Member

no debt, credit card only used for the odd online purchase and big things like holiday or when i bought my most recent car… paid off at the end of the month. no student debt, but no mortgage which is something i’d love as it would mean having a house that isn’t rented.

yoshimi

Had a lot of debt in my mid-twenties around 20k on credit cards. Didn’t think there would ever be a day when I would be rid of them.

Eventually I did and it felt like I’d been reborn; such a joyous feeling to be rid of the credit cards.

Going through that experience means I’ll never pass judgement on people who do have large debts and that I’ll never have any credit cards or loans again; I’ve got the mortgage but so what, it’s either that or pay rent, you have to live somewhere.

freddyg
    Free Member

I’m another who was brought up to believe that debt was bad. Consequently, I worry myself silly about the size of our mortgage. Even more so now I have experienced about a year of unemplyment over the last five years – it severely dented my confidence in my own earning ability and also wiped out most of the savings we had. Being rediculously proud and stubborn, I didn’t do the DHSS thing. Pillock.

Currently have £165k mortgage with 55% LTV (18 years remaining), 3k on a 0% credit card, plus another credit card we use for day to day expenses (to get the points) that is paid off in full every month. No loans. A few hundered in an ISA; pretty much bugger all in a few pensions but have retained our old house to rent out as an investment (£80k interest only mortgage currently at 50% LTV).

Actually, writing that down has been quite cathartic. We’re not doing as badly as we thought.

mansonsoul
    Free Member

I’m completely debt free, I suppose because I’m young with no mortgage or student debt and I live in a house share. Any time I’ve owed money I’ve hated the feeling, that sense of loss of control. I would never buy anything I couldn’t afford outright, except a house or land.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Mortgage, you must be mad, pay the bank 5%pa for an asset that loosing 5%pa when I could rent the same asset for 5% and not have to deal with any of the liabilities arrising from it?

So, are you telling me that for the 5% interest pa.. that you would pay the banks, you can rent a property?

I doubt it, so whereas everyone else’s monthly payment (minus the bank’s cut) will come back to them in 15, 20, 25 years – yours will be in your landlords pocket.

Renting is not a long term financially viable prospect and your logic seems flawed.

Our neighbours flat:

£140,000 ish, rent £650pcm ~ 4.6%

Our flat:

£150,000 ish, mortgage £850pcm ~ 5.6% repayment only

My last house:

£325,000, our rent £1100 ~ 3.4%

Definately cheeper to be renting

The concept of ‘owning’ your own house is almost uniquely British it seems. The only way it ever makes sense is if you buy in a market where prices are rising faster than wages, i.e. your income will pay it off eventualy, but seeing as its hit the limit of everyones income I cant see that being repeated ever again.

n.b. my numbers are for SE england, ooop north where prices seem to be 50% or les what they are down here its probably possible to buy a house.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I’m renting.. and totally debt free.. (and skint)

live outside the box and stick it to the man maaaaaan.

How are you sticking it to the man if you’re paying someone lots of money to live in their house?

LHS
    Free Member

Debt free apart from Mortgages – circa £900k

pixelmix
    Free Member

Hmm, I am (comparatively speaking) one of the younger folk alluded to in some of the posts above. I am quite debt averse, although do currently a mortage (with Mrs PixelMix) which we are repaying, and currently stands at 75% LTV, a car on finance (which will be paid off in full at the end of the 3 years, as we are saving a monthly amount which will equate to the balloon payment), and unusually, I currently have a chunk of my latest bike on my credit card (which will be paid off in full in a couple of months).

Whilst I am not a big fan of debt, I am justifying the above in my head on the basis that:
    (i) we need a car, and whilst we could make do with a banger, we spend a lot of time in it, and it is our little luxury. Mrs PixelMix also drives it to work every day, so it is nice to know she is in something modern with a full warranty. Hell, who am I kidding, I chose it and I love it. In 3 years time we will own it outright, and if we decide to trade in, will have a massive deposit for something else, so would only have a small loan next time.

(ii) the bike was a one off purchase on my interest free credit card. Once it is cleared, I won’t really use my credit card, as we generally pay cash for everything.

Thankfully I don’t have any student debt, as I had a job whilst at university. Mrs PixelMix has a reasonable sized chunk of student debt, so we chip away at that every month (her mandatory salary contribution plus an extra chunk of cash), whilst simultaneously putting an amount in an ISA for our next big purchases.

Having items on credit is fine as long as you are 100% sure that you can pay them off if required, and have an exit strategy. The difficulty is when it becomes a never ending cycle. I have no idea how someone can accrue £98,000 of credit card debt and have virtually nothing to show for it.

ianpinder
    Free Member

My sister spent £18,000 in 3 months and had nothing to show for it. So £98000 over a few years would quite easily be possible for some.

Apart from my student loan, I am debt free, and will never take out another loan, cc, over draft etc because I can not trust myself.

The only other debt I will have will be a morgage, but always one that is less then 50% of the house value.

amt27
    Free Member

everyone has debt, how many of you have not included your student loans, mobile contract, car insurance if you pay monthly, etc

credit goes hand in hand with capitalism, otherwise we would still be living in the dark ages,

frogstomp

thisisnotaspoon – Our neighbours flat:

£140,000 ish, rent £650pcm ~ 4.6%

Our flat:

£150,000 ish, mortgage £850pcm ~ 5.6% repayment only

My last house:

£325,000, our rent £1100 ~ 3.4%

But if you are paying off a mortgage you are building up the equity in the property which you could then access at a later date – with renting the money is just paid out and that’s it gone..

People tend to look at buying property from the point of view of it appreciating in value (profit), rather than the value of the original equity. For example, if you ‘buy’ a house for £100k and then pay the mortgage every month until it is paid off you will then have the equity available to you. House prices tend to rise in the long term, but even if its value fell 20% you would still have £80k to play with that you wouldn’t if you were renting.

Having said that, we are still renting because to buy something similar to where we are now would be stupidly expensive and we’re reluctant to take a backwards step in out quality of life to get onto the ladder.. although that’s probably a bit short-sighted, but works for now!

timc
    Free Member

100% debt free, nothing on HP etc…

the BIG BUT being, I’m not a home owner, so all my efforts going into saving for a house.

jon1973
    Free Member

Except of course that at some point, maybe in your 50’s you would have paid off your mortgage. If you rent, you’ll be paying that until the day you die – which could be tricky if you’re living on a reduced retirement income.

Wozza
    Free Member

Not everyone in debt gets there by “living beyond their means” and reckless abandon i’ve seen quoted.

I’m 29 and paid for myself through my undergrad, a postgrad and a couple of “s**t hitting fans”. I’ve got about £5k left and then i’m debt free other than the student loan.

It’s not a pleasant place to be in, i’ve learnt a lot and i’m very much looking forward to the day where I don’t owe a penny to anybody.

I’d like to add that some of the comments should try and walk a mile in some other peoples shoes before they pass judgement. The world isn’t an even playing field.

pixelmix
    Free Member

I’d like to add that some of the comments should try and walk a mile in some other peoples shoes before they pass judgement. The world isn’t an even playing field.

True, and no doubt many people who get into difficulty as a result of an unforeseen change in circumstances (job loss, health etc). That doesn’t seem to have been the case on the other thread though.

flip
    Free Member

I have no debt whatsoever, no mortgage, i still remember the day 2 yrs ago when this happened.

One of the happiest of my life 😉 I too was shocked at that debt thread, truly life wrecking stuff. Hope you all pull through.

Wozza
    Free Member

That doesn’t seem to have been the case on the other thread though.

I’d agree with that. £98k is reckless on anybodys scale.

DezB
    Free Member

Mortgage and a couple of 100 quid on CCs. Wife’s car bought new, now paid off, mine with a few months to go.

Someone I know (who earns more than I do) managed to rack up £30K in debt. I can’t fathom how. Drugs? Gambling? Hooers? Must’ve been. That plus a healthy dose of stupidity.

Hohum
    Free Member

LHS – Member
    Debt free apart from Mortgages – circa £900k

Wow!

I can’t imagine having that big a mortgage. The monthly payments must be pretty big.

I guess it’s fine if your income is high enough and stable enough to cover it though.

anonymouse
    Free Member

Mortgage only here.

LHS
    Free Member

I can’t imagine having that big a mortgage

4 seperate mortgages

ononeorange

LHS – you just made me feel better about the size of my mortgage! Thanks!

richmars

Lucky to buy a house at a ‘good’ time, so paid off the mortgage in about 12 years, no other loans so whatever happens we should always have a house. I realise how lucky we were to buy when we did, I can’t imagine how it is now, or how it will be for my son in 15-20 years time.

DrRSwank
    Free Member

There’s some very odd stuff being said on here. No wonder you’re all skint.

It is possible to have a mortgage, loans etc and not be in debt (in the truest sense) AS LONG AS your house is worth more then your mortgage. It’s then just an asset which you are managing.

As for the rent v mortgage argument above. Er, in 25 years I’ll own a house, you won’t. And 25 years of the rents mentioned would have pretty much covered a well controlled mortgage…..

There must be a lot of renters on here though judging by the number with no mortgage. Either that or you all live at home with your mums.

miketually
    Free Member

There must be a lot of renters on here though judging by the number with no mortgage. Either that or you all live at home with your mums.

Or, they’ve paid off their mortgage?

avdave2

None here other than a small mortgage. Down to a combination of good fortune and my attitude to shopping which tends to be if I don’t buy it will I die? No, well then I’ll do without.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

gary-m, frogstop and jon1973,

You missed the crucial bit, £850pcm is what the bank is asking in intrest! The intrest is more than we could be renting the equivalent flat for! I could put away some extra every month in a savings account and as long as the savings rate is comparable to the mortgage rates I’d have just as much equity/cash in 5 years as I would paying off a mortgage.

Like I said unless house prices are appreciating I can see little or no point jumping on the ladder when I could afford to rent a nicer house for less than the INTREST on a mortgage and still squirrel some away for a deposit.

I’d also save ~£1000 mortgage arangement fees every 5 years
    No maintenance or building insurance costs
    The stress of anything devaluing the house (planning permision for a supermarket next door, subsidance etc)
    And I could move on with a months notice, not have to wait 5 years to avoid early repayment charges then have to wait months for someone to buyt the house.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

I haven’t read all this thread! But it frustrates me how easy it is to get into debt. I was also brought up to believe that debt was bad and I remember saving for 2 years at 13 to buy myself a Kona Fire Mountain. Once I’d saved up my Dad surprised me and conributed to it, so I had extra cash for SPds.Went to uni and was a bit of a muppet and got into debt,4 student loans and £2000 overdraft. Suddenly left uni and thought “woah” spent the next 1-2 years working my butt over to pay off the overdraft, every month I’d go into the bank and ask them to reduce my overdraft by £100 and tehy would ask why and try to get me to extend it!!! Paid off my student loans after 5 years and now I’m happy as larry. Small mortgage and no debt. If I can’t afford to pay for it outright I don’t buy it.I save up for things. Rode the Kona Fire mountain for 11 years before I bought a new bike.The Kona still gets ridden now (but it’s a winter bike).

I have friends who have ridiculous mortgages 5 bedroom barn conversions on interest only mortgages and then they can’t afford to do anything! I’d rather live in me smaller house with a smaller mortgage,have holiday, enjoy meals out. I save money every month and top out of my ISA every year but I certainly still enjoy my life and treat myself to what I want. It really amazes me how much people get into debt and don’t seem bothered by it.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 146 total)

The topic ‘Debt………or the lack of.’ is closed to new replies.