Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 279 total)
  • Death Penalty.
  • Jenga
    Free Member

99.9999999% Yes. Although occasionally a tiny % of doubt appears.

For someone like Shipman I'd have happily pulled the lever.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Yes, for the worst cases – Baby P etc.

With a regular national lottery to select the hangsman 😈

FoxyChick
    Free Member

yes

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

no. Death penalty is pure hypocrisy.

It's a cliche, but in a world that takes an eye for an eye, ultimately ends up blind.

Killing people is wrong.

druidh
    Free Member

No – never

Killing people is wrong.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I know the OP said no debate – but those in favour of the death penalty – what would you have done with the Guildford 4?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

what would you have done with the Guildford 4

Ah now Teej, no smoke without fire and all that… 😯 🙄

scotabroad

no – replace it with hard labour and no priviliges gulag style

ton

teej, what about sutcliffes victims families? 2 sides to every coin.

Coyote
    Free Member

No.

Jenga
    Free Member

what would you have done with the Guildford 4?

Looked at the time like a politically correct decision to free them. Still does.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

what about sutcliffes victims families

No ton, I think they suffered enough don't you? There's no point in executing them.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Still does

Funniest (or least well informed) post of the week award?

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Guildford four? I think Lord Denning might have forwarded a position on that one…

Personally, I'd have had them declared Francs_tireurs and punished as such according to international law…

cullen-bay
    Free Member

yes, for somethings, people would be less keen to murder if they knew they would be hung. However, the guilty person should a) admit to being guilty or b) have conclusive evidence to show that they are guilty. c) should not have been a provoked murder. so that narrows it down to about 99.99% of crimes committed in the UK?

ton

dd, you know what i mean.
    when it is a open and shut case.

IHN

No.

CheesybeanZ

yes 100% yes

IHN

people would be less keen to murder if they knew they would be hung.

Sorry, but that's completely not true.

tazzymtb

It's never an open and shut case, that's the problem.

MTT
    Free Member

No.

roper
    Free Member

no

grumm
    Free Member

yes, for somethings, people would be less keen to murder if they knew they would be hung.

Yes that's why there are no murders in the US.

IHN

It's never an open and shut case, that's the problem

Damn straight

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Ton – Guildford 4 was considered open and shut – and there are many more cases of people convicted for murder since freed

Stephen downing

Signed confession, forensics – the lot.

jimmy

I was going to say yes but then I like this, too.

No – but make prison cheap and tough for lifers

But prison should be cheap and tough for all inmates. Death's too good for non-mentally ill psychos. They deserve to be locked in a hole and pooped on for the rest of their life.

trailmonkey

I know the OP said no debate – but those in favour of the death penalty – what would you have done with the Guildford 4?

In that case, executed 4 innocent people. There may be an argument that the 4 would have been less likely to have been framed had the punishment been death. Maybe that's a bit naieve though ?

Harry_the_Spider

No. But life inside should mean life.

ton

tazzymtb – Member
    It's never an open and shut case, that's the problem.

shipman
    nielson..panther
    nielson…cannibal
    brady..and friend
    sutcliffe
    maudsley
    fred's wife
    robert blak
    duffy and mulcahy
    ireland
    mark martin
    steven wright
    allott

shall i go on.

bruneep

YES! and I'd start with the bastid who killed my cousin.

druidh
    Free Member

trailmonkey – Member

> I know the OP said no debate – but those in favour of the death
    > penalty – what would you have done with the Guildford 4?

In that case, executed 4 innocent people. There may be an argument that the 4 would have been less likely to have been framed had the punishment been death. Maybe that's a bit naieve though ?

Or more likely in that there was less chance of them appealling once dead?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

grumm got there before me. I was going to mention the US but it'll never change some person's minds

GrahamS

No.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Ton – you want a ;list of people found guilty but now known to be innocent?

How about the mentally ill – as Beverly Allot clearly was

cullen-bay
    Free Member

#
    #
    IHN – Member

people would be less keen to murder if they knew they would be hung.

Sorry, but that's completely not true.

Im sorry, but My only knowledge of this was 1 year ago, some figures I saw in an R.E class, so they were probably wrong. Im just imagining that death would seem like more of a deterent to some doped up 18year old with a knife than the 30 years(?) he would probably spend atm

cullen-bay
    Free Member

grumm – Member

yes, for somethings, people would be less keen to murder if they knew they would be hung.

Yes that's why there are no murders in the US.

grumm, I said LESS KEEN, for goodness sake stop just jumping down someones throat, It was just an opinion.

ton

no teej, just open and shut cases.
    and do you think keeping people like allott locked up till they die is a better solution than putting them to death with a injection?

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

Aside from the fact that killing is just plain wrong, there will never be a justice system that is 100% reliable. it will never happen. and therefore, you cannot kill people when there is an element of doubt, however small to their guilt.

I'm sure Derek Bentley's family gains no comfort from his conviction being overturned 45 years after he was hung.

We talk of the guildford 4, but what about the birmingham 6, bridgewater 3, m25 3. judith ward.

too many people would have wound up dead because of an unreliable justice system. You can't say sorry to someone once you've killed them.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Ton – the point is both the Guildford 4 and Downing were considered open and shut cases.

Are you going to make a new category of guilt? Beyond all doubt is what is currently used – but now and then we get it wrong.

What is your new standard of proof to be? Really really no possibility of doubt at all? We could call it the Ton standarfd of proof.

If you want the death penalty you have to accept the excecution of innocent will happen.

tazzymtb

ton

yes, please continue and give the life backgorund to each of them including any history of untreated or undiagnosed mental illness and any abuse that may have happend to them in their develpmental years which may have made them more prone to act in a criminal manner in later years.

Are some people just born evil or are thay made that way through a series of life events, which if identifeid and managed early enough and correctly would lead to a significant reduction in such cases?

I'm not sure, but I think any taking of life is wrong, what would you like to do? torture someone to death because you think they were particually evil? have a public execution? how does that make you any better than them?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 279 total)

The topic ‘Death Penalty.’ is closed to new replies.