Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • Dear Singletrackworld
  • JohnnyPanic

With all the meaningless junk posted on here we need a ‘worthy’ filter.

Weed out all the threads that are not worthy, then there’d be almost nothing left, and the site would rocket along. 🙂

Mark

Mudpup.. You are a Premier user. Turn the ads off! The button is in your account settings.

It’s not the ads though. They are served separately from the rest of the site on their own dedicated server.

I suspect that with the mag being delayed we are experiencing a lot more people downloading the digital version which is a 100mb PDF file.

As it happens though I’m waiting for a couple of prices on a new server to add to our collection because we are aware that the rate of downloads of content combined with the massive increase in user numbers we’ve seen over the last few months has started to send our current servers a bit red at times.

This is the spec of one of our servers…

Processor Quad Core Xeon 2.66Ghz
    CPU Cores 4 CPU Cores
    RAM 4GB DDR3 RAM
    Hard Disk 1 x 300GB Ultra-fast SAS
    Hardware Raid RAID 0
    Port Speed 100Mbit

We are looking to get another one to serve purely Premier content. The way the site is being used has changed remarkably in the last few months. Sorry for the slowness but we’ll have it sorted asap.

duntmatter
    Free Member

Slow here. Whip the hamsters harder.

sc-xc

Moonhead
    Free Member

Ok now…. almost bed time tho. Sweet dreams STW!

epicyclo

Ah that’s ok then.

soobalias
    Free Member

‘they’* always tune down the servers when ‘you’** swear and post teh pr0n too much

sooner you** lot start to behave, the quicker you** can have the hamsters back on steroids.

lots of love, Soobalias (sitting on the fence)

* STW Powers that be
    ** the rabble.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Mark – If it’s for Premier users, should it not have a better spec than the existing one? Leave that for Standard users.

Mark

The existing ones are fine.. Note the plural. They are fast. The problem is the Premier content is currently served from the same server the site is sat on. Consequently when demand for premier content is high the site slows down. Separating out the site from the Premier content will solve the issue of the site slowing, no matter what the demand on the Premier server is.

AdrianW
    Free Member

Rather than buying servers for content delivery doesn’t it make more sense to use systems such as Amazons S3/Cloudfront, I know Amazon aren’t everyones favourite service at the moment but there are plenty of other content delivery networks out there that can handle both public and private content

donsimon
    Free Member

Not the

donsimon
    Free Member

ads as it has

donsimon
    Free Member

been shakey

donsimon
    Free Member

for me fo

donsimon
    Free Member

r nearly two weeks now.

donsimon
    Free Member

👿

bellerophon
    Free Member

This is the spec of one of our servers…

Processor Quad Core Xeon 2.66Ghz
    CPU Cores 4 CPU Cores
    RAM 4GB DDR3 RAM
    Hard Disk 1 x 300GB Ultra-fast SAS
    Hardware Raid RAID 0
    Port Speed 100Mbit

We are looking to get another one to serve purely Premier content.

Hopefully it’ll have a Gigabit NIC in it

Mark

We are looking at cloud servers too. The only worry there seems to be the runaway potential pricing tariff. But we are weighing up the pros and cons.

And yes Don.. we know it’s not the ads. I think I explained that.

poppa
    Free Member

Needs more coal.

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Dear Singletrackworld’ is closed to new replies.