Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Dealing with mices…..
  • geoffj

….in an Edinburgh flat, if that makes any difference.

I’ve got a little rodent problem. Last time, in another flat, it was a case of filling up any holes with expanding foam and laying a few traps. I’m planning on the same approach, but I thought I’d check the great STW hive mind for more info.

What about these sonic plug in things or poison. Getting a cat is not an option unfortunately.

Hairychested
    Free Member

If you can’t get a cat, get two!

Onzadog
    Free Member

I had the perfect solution for you until you mentioned you’re in Edinburgh. It only works in Glasgow you see.

jon1973
    Free Member

What are they doing there? If there are mices there is probably a source of food which is attracting them.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

If they were southern mice I would suggest baiting the traps with Roccolo cheese, but then southern mice are a bit poncey.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

southern mice are a bit poncey.

My local east London ones aren’t. Right tough little bastards. And you should see the size of the rats we get round here! 😯

allthepies
    Free Member

Old skool trap and a chocolate button as bait.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Yeah but there not as hard as northern mice!

hora
    Free Member

Are you sure its Mice? Your council has a unit that they can send out (and collect the results afterwards) for a competitive fee. £50 here in Manchester.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Those sonic things are rubbish (at least when used on rats).

We ended up getting someone it to have it ritually slaughtered.

Cougar

Might be worth contacting the council?

I had a few a couple of years ago, traps sorted ’em out. Peanut butter for bait, very effective. You need to act fast though, they breed like crazy.

Hairychested
    Free Member

Elf, they’re cats actually 😉
    OP, have you tried owning them with some orange Bombers? Or a dictionary?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

should see the size of the rats we get round here!

*Insert inappropriate, vaguely racist, Harriet Harman joke here*

Markie
    Free Member

Seconded (thirded) contacting the council. Our neighbours had an indoor mouse infestation and an outdoor rat infestation dealt with by the council this past spring/summer – great service.

hora
    Free Member

I think if its mice its free if its rats it costs (or vice versa).

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

The one, the only – little nipper!

london_lady
    Free Member

Got the same problem – have tried the humane trap with no luck, currently trying “little nipper” traps without success – we have tried luring them with peanut butter (although we have been told we were using the wrong peanut butter!), chocolate, pate and the next food stuff to try will be smoked bacon …… I am hoping that they have gone because we haven’t seen or heard any evidence of them for a week.

Rubber_Buccaneer

When I had a little mouse problem I used poison plus a few traps. You need poison to kill all of them but catching one or two in traps is a satisfying bit of revenge (they got to my fig rolls, I wanted blood)

When all else fails I have heard of sticky tape type traps being used. I’ve also heard that a live mouse stuck to the trap is most unpleaseant to deal with as the animal will be in a lot of distress. You may prefer to live with the mice than deal with the inhumanity.

hora
    Free Member

Rubber’ hence leave it to the council team. Its grim, let alone the smell of them dead.

Rubber_Buccaneer

on reflection I agree with Hora & others. If you need to ask then contacting the council is the best advice.

geoffj

Right, been on the phone to the cooncil. Seems like they do a poisoning programme of three visits for a very reasonable price. Need to block the holes up first though. Little feckers!

sharkbait
    Free Member

I was out in the barn at the weekend when I heard a mousey scratching sound coming from one of the shelves. Narrowed it down to a box of grass seed – had a look inside and there were 5 little mice having a great time!
    I took the box down the field and the mice bailed out from a height of 4′. I guess they’ll make there way back but for the time being it made me feel good. Now it’s time to put the poison down.

jonahtonto
    Free Member

mine have returned for the winter 🙁 caught one yesterday.

some people may suggest that if you catch one and the trap doesn’t kill them you should drop said trap + mouse into a bucket of water.

DON’T DO THAT,
    ive not got a problem with killing things usually (lived on a farm for a bit) but stupidly following the drowning advice was the most upsetting thing iv ever done and i still regret it now

geoffj

Poison and traps laid and holes filled with steel wool + expanding foam.
    I predict victory will be mine 🙂

jamiep
    Free Member

I went for the traps over the poison option – the stench of a dead mouse is grim. I had to give in and rip up a wooden floor to retrieve one after week of the stink

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Dealing with mices…..’ is closed to new replies.