Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Deadlift – proper form
  • edward2000
    Free Member

Do you deadlift as part of your gym routine?

I always feel like i bend at the lower back too much, is this correct? But then if i make the effort to not do this, then it feels more like a squat.

Bending at the back might not be bad though, i dont know! BikeJames doesnt really cover this Point. And the Internet if full of a lot of waffle, so i thought id ask for peoples direct experiences.

Any thoughts?

chiefgrooveguru

Don’t bend your lower back – hinge at your hips! Hold your whole trunk straight and strong throughout.

bigyim
    Free Member

Quite a few good tutorials on YouTube worth a look. Straight back and drive through your heels

zilog6128

You should be keeping your back straight, like this guy [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZF69K6awJh8[/video]

Bending your back is poor form and will get you injured. The deadlift is pretty similar to a squat except it’s more in the hips whereas the squat is more in the knees.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I implore anyone who does dead lifts to research and practice proper form.

I didn’t and compressed my L5-S1 disc when I was 18. It significantly degraded my quality of life for the following 12 years and now whilst now very well managed, at the age of 41 I am still living with the consequences, and likely will be for the entirety of my short stay on this little rock.

edward2000
    Free Member

Thanks

I actually think i do hinge the hips (i do pilates often), but it feels like the Motion of pivoting in my hips puts a lot of force through my lower back.

I have a bot of DOMS in my lower back this morning, i would expect this to be normal though.

More difficult to explain than i thought!

wrecker
    Free Member

I was taught by a female and was told it’s all “tits and ass”.
    At the bottom; stick your ass out to ensure your spine is neutral/arched. At the top stick your tits out to ensure same.

BillOddie
    deviant
    Free Member

My deadlift form is impeccable (even if I say so myself!) due to a back injury in my early twenties.

As above, back ramrod straight with chest out and bum out, drive from the hips not from a rounded/bending back..
    After a good deadlift session it’s my hamstrings and traps that are sore the following day, not my lower back!

You’re doing them wrong, sorry.

philwarren11
    Free Member

I got told..

Straight back, ass slightly out to help straight back.

Head level, not looking up too much, stop posing and checking yourself out.

Shins close the floor. Push feet through the floor then push hips forward. Boom!

Reverse hands.

Oh, I love deadlifts. Probably my favourite thing to do in the gym.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I love deadlifts. Best feeling in the gym.

Don’t do it with a hood up or with Beats by Dre massive headphones.
    Terrible form.

Edit: that Rippetoe video is superb

toby1

that Rippetoe video is superb

Your best bet is to ask for some coaching in the gym, if they have a professional staff they should be able to help, but as said above – that video is great, it’s given me some pointers!

mcnultycop

Commercial gyms won’t have a decent deadlift instructor, generally.

Drag the bars up your legs. Long trousers only.

BillOddie

Commercial gyms won’t have a decent deadlift instructor, generally.

This! They will however likely have a sign up saying “No Deadlifting”.

My works gym has such as sign. I just wait for it to be empty (ie late-ish at night). 😉

kudos100
    Free Member

Mark Rippetoe deadlift video.

Rippetoe is the man when it comes to the big lifts. SS devotes about 30-40 pages to the squat and deadlift.

Invest in starting strength if doing compound exercises, it will pay off in the long run.

mcnultycop

I got banned from a commercial gym for making too much noise dropping the bar when deadlifting. I was taking powerlifting pretty seriously at the time so it was big weights, so they went up slow and went down quick!

bigyim
    Free Member

I get encouraged at my gym. I can draw a crowd haha

scaredypants

Can’t believe I opened this, or wathced the video … but it was well worth it for the guy’s comments on bar-dropping 😆

matlockmeat
    Free Member

Being as one of my other interests is weight lifting I’ve found this an interesting read.

What sort of numbers are people putting up?
    I’d consider my dead lift quite small. 170kg at 85kg body weight.

bigyim
    Free Member

Best I’ve managed is 205 @ around 90ish

mcnultycop

237.5kg at 115kg.

After two years off and an arm break I’m back up to 180kg.

WaywardRider
    Free Member

form trumps weight. Keep the weight low and form strict. Bent back ibvariably because of too much weight.

bigyim
    Free Member

Yeah as wayward rider said I’d not lift heavy unless you need too. And if it’s bike based training you want then I wouldn’t go too mad.
    If you go for max lifts all firm can tend to go out the window and it’s easy to ruin your back

footflaps

form trumps weight

This.

2x BW is a good target to aim for (I’m hoping to get there by end of the year, about 15kg off at the moment).

mcj78
    Free Member

Couldn’t resist…

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1e4SBxgqBEY[/video]

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Yeah I always got told body weight deadlifts is ‘normal’ 1.5 times , decent and twice body weight is good going . Ie you are now ready to crush heads on the outside

curiousyellow
    Free Member

If you want to know numbers then this is a good place to start:

http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/DeadliftStandardsKg.html

toby1

If you want to know numbers then this is a good place to start:

http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/DeadliftStandardsKg.html

Hah, according to that as an untrained lifter I should be using 75kg! I’ve been working up from 30 to 50 and even that has seen me loose form and need to revise technique.

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

Hah, according to that as an untrained lifter I should be using 75kg! I’ve been working up from 30 to 50 and even that has seen me loose form and need to revise technique.

pussy

curiousyellow
    Free Member

The definition for a novice in the standards is someone who doesn’t train, but has been shown how to do the exercise. It’s also for a 1 rep max I believe.

It’s supposed to be based on aggregated data. So I guess there may be some outliers.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Yes ha forgot to say my numbers are 1 rep max

woffle
    Free Member

Deadlifts are great, but a lot of ‘globo-gyms’ get stroppy about weights being dropped. Until 4 months ago I trained at a decent gym and now strugging to find one locally to my new job that’ll be accommodating or has a decent floor. (Dropping is not about throwing weights about unneccessarily; it is about safety – I’ve seen people focus wholly on getting the weight up and then form goes out the window getting it back down again)

It’s well worth spending the money on some proper instruction on the olympic lifts. As outlined above repeatedly you can do yourself some real damage. Form is everything.

footflaps

This is probably a more pragmatic set of weight standards:

Strength Standards…Sleepless in Seattle

For Men:
    Push
    Expected = Bodyweight bench press
    Game-changer = Bodyweight bench press for 15 reps
    Pull
    Expected = 5 pullups
    Game-changer = 15 pullups
    Hinge
    Expected = Bodyweight to 150% bodyweight deadlift
    Game-changer = Double-bodyweight deadlift

Squat
    Expected = Bodyweight squat
    Game-changer = Bodyweight squat for 15 reps
    Loaded Carry
    Expected = Farmer walk with total bodyweight (half per hand)
    Game-changer =Bodyweight per hand
    Getup
    One left and right, done with a half-filled cup of water

And a progressive scale for Hip Hinge:

Hip Hinge Movement

1. Hip Hinge with Proper Form (From stand, floor and loaded)
    2. Kettlebell Swing: 24K x 20 (Proper Form)
    3. Double Kettlebell Clean: 32K x 10
    4. Barbell Clean: Bodyweight
    5. Barbell Deadlift: Double Bodyweight
    6. Barbell Snatch: Bodyweight
    7. Barbell Deadlift 2.5 x Bodyweight

justatheory
    Free Member

Love deadlifts, counter intuitively they helped clear up my lower back pain. Close second to the squat.

+1 for Rippetoe and the starting strength programme. Jim Wendler’s 5 3 1 programe is good too.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

bend at the lower back too much, is this correct?

never bend the lower back; almost all the bend is at the hips, and slightly at the knees

230kg @ 100kg, several year back

edward2000
    Free Member

If i did keep the back dead straight and maintained good form, would one expect some DOMS in the lower back, considering i have just added this into my weekly routine?

I hadn’t deadlifted for ages until last week and i could feel the DOMS in the lower back. I usually do squats and lunges though so i wouldn’t expect DOMS in my hamstrings and quads as they are used to the stresses

footflaps

If i did keep the back dead straight and maintained good form, would one expect some DOMS in the lower back, considering i have just added this into my weekly routine?

Yes as you do use your lower back muscles quite a lot to keep your back position stable during the lift.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

good form, would one expect some DOMS in the lower bac

absolutely, yes

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Deadlift – proper form’ is closed to new replies.