Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Dead man walking
  • Harry_the_Spider

I’ve done something particularly stupid.
    After Friday’s ride in the pouring rain I left my shoes in the hall to dry off. Unfortunately I didn’t stand them on any newspaper, so we now have a black cleat shaped mark that has soaked into the hideously expensive antique reclaimed oak parquet floor. It’s a good job that the missus is vegetarian as she may otherwise have bitten my face off. If it doesn’t sand out I’m going to face the firing squad at dawn.

Farwell my interweb friends. I can’t see The Spider surviving this one.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

(Stands. Salutes, as the Last Post plays, forlornly, in the distance)

Do you get a final meal?

Harry_the_Spider

Yeah, and i’m cooking it. It’s the mother in law’s birthday party tonight.

I may ask to bring the execution forward.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Lesser of two evils, eh? 😯

Your lot don’t sound a happy one, mate.

Sandwich

Cigar and blindfold for the morning sir? Alternatively a large brandy and use a revolver in the study as a true gentleman would.

Joxster
    Free Member

Buy her a rug and cover the stain

Oil" alt="" title="" class="bbcode-image" />

This is how I covered a few oil stains, the wife hasn’t caught on yet

AB
    Free Member
    AB
    Free Member
    AdamW
    Free Member

Nah you need this.

Mind, you may end up dissolving your way down to Australia! 😀

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Nah, you need this Here to help…. 😀

franksinatra

Follow Shaggy’s example, ‘It wasn’t me!’

stompy

Oxalic acid removes Iron stains pretty well or a half ‘n’ half mix of alcohol and thinners. With both you’ll have to remove the finish from the area first so as to allow the stuff to get into the timber……. If that all fails mix all three, drink in quantity and wait for the darkness to come 🙄

CountZero

At the very least there’s accomodation in a small wooden hut at the bottom of the garden, with a small bowl of water, some dry biscuits and a bone, if you’re very lucky.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Joxster; that would right piss me off, bloody plant pots all over the place. I’d just trip over the bastards, and then they’d get lobbed through the window.

And please, put a saucer under that middle one.

shoefiti
    Free Member

“”Hello – French Polishers””!?!?

RustySpanner

Don’t you have a small child you can pin the blame on?

Harry_the_Spider

Rusty Spanner – Member
    Don’t you have a small child you can pin the blame on?

I do, but he has an alibi and he performed well under cross examination. Also, he doesn’t own any shoes with cleats in them.

Let’s face it… I’m monster-trucked.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

What’s the floor like at the moment Harry? I know a fair bit about wood floors so might be able to help…? Can you post a pic?

Harry_the_Spider

Here you go. Any suggestions?

richcc
    Free Member

Have you considered Photoshop or a spot of the old Derrin Brown so she can’t see it?

(loving the term Monster Trucked BTW!)

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Ah, it’s not so bad mate. At least it’s only one block so it can be worked on in isolation. Not like it’s part of a large plank or anything. I’d suggest using a fresh stanley blade held pretty much perpendicular to the surface of the block and then gently scrape the surface finish off. Be gentle and don’t angle the blade so that it digs into the timber. This should help expose the dark stain. Then, I’m afraid it’s going to be painstaking sandpapering (BY HAND). You’ll have to do the whole block but I reckon it’s not gone too far down into the timber. Try starting off with 60 grit, then 80 and finish with 120. If you’re having to remove a lot of wood, then do the adjoining block too.

Then finish with whatever was used before (hopefully you should have some?).

Best of luck.

Harry_the_Spider

Ta. That’s my afternoon sorted then.

chakaping
    Free Member

Joxster – Can’t work out if you’re joshing, but that picture made me smile anyway.

“No darling, nothing’s wrong with the carpet, I just think the plant looks best there.”

I’d be careful watering that one with no tray underneath though.

😉

brant
    Free Member

Ta. That’s my afternoon sorted then.

[quote]

I’m sure Mrs Spider will appreciate the site of you on your hands and knees scrubbing.

The lamb shanks worked out OK then?

Sandwich

Move the rug 3 to 4 inches?

MikeT-23
    Free Member

The annoying thing is that it has absolutely no resemblance to a religious icon, or Mother Theresa, or Susan Boyle, or anyone else that could be used as a sign of good fortune or divine intervention….
    Had that happened, you’d be blameless, and in the cash no doubt as you’d be charging the pilgrims and journos a pretty penny to pay their respects.

Nah. Even with squinty eyes and a rotated screen it’s still rubbish. Sorry for you mate. Bad luck.

samuri
    Free Member

It looks a bit like a prancing horse with a big bushy tail.

brant
    Free Member

It looks a bit like a prancing horse with a big bushy tail.

Or a bull. In sort of mid-stomp, attacking a matador.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

To me, it looks a bit like a silhouetted mountain, with some snow-covered pine trees in front. There’s a bit of cloud slightly obscuring the hill on the right.

Harry_the_Spider

It looks to me like a lot of nagging if I can’t shift it.

samuri
    Free Member

How about this? Apply paint in the places I’ve indicated and now it *does* look like Jesus, with a big bushy moustache. Your wife can’t possibly complain about it now, it’s sacred!

sq225917
    Free Member

if she mentions the stain simply direct her to this post and tell her she must be imagining things and wouldn’t she like a sit down and a cup of tea.

samuri
    Free Member

Yeah, tell a woman she must be imagining things. They *love* that. 😉

druidh
    Free Member

I was sure this thread was going to be about Gordon Brown.

Harry_the_Spider

Thanks for the tip about the Stanley Knife blade Mr Darcy. Most of the stain came off with the wax coating.

Unfortunately while I was doing the repair I left the down stairs loo door open and my son put his arm down the khazi, so I’m still in the dog house.

druidh
    Free Member

Oooh – I’d call that a win.

Harry_the_Spider

[smug]So would I.[/smug]

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I left the down stairs loo door open and my son put his arm down the khazi

pre- or post- flush ??

I recall one time I was peeing and my 18 month daughter came to watch and then put her hand in the stream :o)

edit: stream of pee…

druidh
    Free Member

Why were you peeing in a stream. You’re supposed to be at least 50m from a water course 😉

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

You’re supposed to be at least 50m from a water course

really ? I always find it quite satisfying to pee into running water and think “Drink THAT suckers!” :o)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Dead man walking’ is closed to new replies.