Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • dead fuel
  • johnx2
    Free Member

Okay, a (v good) bike shop guy persuaded me to take the bits off my three year old fuel, and stick them on an old carbon scott scale frame, so I’d have something to ride (we’re deep into 26” territory here…)

I fancied riding a fast xc hard tail for a bit but am increasingly missing full suss (my preference is the techier end of mainly natural trails). All that remains of the fuel is a frame which needs new bearings + rear sus that needs a service.

Bike shop guy (who’s a good mechanic and who I trust, but who I also think is busy with a new business and bigger fish to fry) suggests it might be possible to make a project of it and do it up with 2nd hand parts for I dunno, £6-700. It needs forks, wheels, brakes, gears, a bell, basket, handlebars even. I don’t want to do any of this myself.

So my questions: is it worth it? What else could I do?

I’m not fishing for ‘buy a new bike’ (I’m minded to get a x-bike anyway), just the cheapest way to have something okay to ride…

timbur
    Free Member

Crc
    A mate with spanner knowledge
    Beer

njee20
    Free Member

So you have a fully built 26″ Scale, and a 26″(?) Fuel frame? Top Fuel, or Fuel Ex? Carbon or alu?

£700 is quite a lot to throw at a frame you deemed “dead”. Why can’t you unbuild the Scale and put the bits back on the Fuel frame? Surely that’s cheaper…?

That said I’d have thought you could do it for a lot less than £700 if you’re looking second hand, unless you’re wanting top of the line kit. Don’t understand the bit about not wanting to do any of it yourself, you either need to learn, or find a bike shop guy who’s not dealing with “bigger fish” (WTF, he’s a bike shop?), or carry on as you are.

What’s the question?

Northwind

You can get quality 26 inch wheels and forks for buttons now- and you’d arguably be a mug to pay any more than that since they’re getting deader by the minute especially for XC. I sold 2 sets of lovely XC wheels for a disgustingly small amount recently 🙁

But at the same time, unless you really like the frame, it’s not a great starting point with a bunch of work needing done to it. If I was you I’d seek out a cheap Anthem X 29, they can be stupendous value. Hoping to scratch together the cash for one this summer

johnx2
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies.

It’s a fuel x8 alu

Question is, is it worth building it up with new/2nd hand parts. The answer I’m getting is yes.

I’m leaving the old bits on the h.t. scale as it’s riding nicely and good at what it does.

I’m a shite mechanic but do have a mate with skilz (plus an on the side bike fix business) who’d do it for ££ + beer. I’m sure I’d have to source any 2nd hand bits myself. Not a prospect that fills me with joy, but looks like the way forward.

Just means diplomatically getting it off shop guy(Yorkshire diplomacy.)

scaled
    Free Member

My hardtail project, when I was injured

Frame BB and cranks – inbred + shimano XT – STW Classified £20
    Forks RS Pike 424 – STW Classifieds £120
    Wheels – Hope Pro II on Mavic 717s £140 (with adapters)
    32t single ring £32 from CRC
    X7 10sp shifter £7.99 CRC sale
    X7 mech was about £30

Everything else was from the parts bin in the shed, if you reuse the wheels from the other bike you could build something up for a couple of hundred quid

njee20
    Free Member

Just means diplomatically getting it off shop guy(Yorkshire diplomacy.)

*Walk into shop*

You: “Hi, can I have my frame back, not quite sure what to do with it, so I’ll hang onto it for now”

Him (donning flat cap): “aye, it’s in t’back wit’ whippet”.

*leave shop*

Not hard?

johnx2
    Free Member

you’re right. Tricky. I may have to roll-play that a few times.

I’m the yorkshireman in this scenario, as it goes. It’s nay biggie.

Ideally I’d like to just pick up the phone and go ‘yeah, do it’, and a in a couple of weeks pick up a bike, versus spend precious hours of my life buying stuff, and in all probability the wrong stuff. Doesn’t look like ideally’s going to happen.

njee20
    Free Member

Aah, sorry:

*Walk into shop*

You (donning flat cap): “ey up, can I have t’frame back, not quite sure what to do wit’ it, so I’ll hang onto it for’t time being. ‘scuse whippet.”

Him: “of course good sir, here it is”

*leave shop*

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘dead fuel’ is closed to new replies.