Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Dead BB – what replacement?
  • Woodcutter
    Free Member

My BB on my old faithful is dead – lots of play that I can now feel when pedalling. It's a square taper and the crank is nothing special – a Truvativ Comp G with a replacement Shimano big ring.
    So, do I go for the cheap option and get a replacement UN54 BB for £20, or do I shell out £125 for an XT 770 chainset inc BB.
    I don't especially need to lose weight off the bike (it's 27.1 lbs and I'm happy with that). Would I really notice any difference in spinning or shifting with a swanky cranky?

dmetcalfe
    Free Member

just get the un54, or perhaps look at the token BBs they seem pretty good for the money, had mine in a couple of months and its really smooth. Stay away from Superstar ones though!

z1ppy

How about the UN54 for £15? (£12 if your lucky)
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=17473

I really rate the HT2 but £15 is hard to knock, wait until your rings are knackered then buy some SLX, XT is nice but not worth the extra

trinity1
    Free Member

get a hope no nonsense good value and its easy to service yourself

Woodcutter
    Free Member

Decided to get a UN54 to keep the bike going and save up for a nice build in a couple of years time.

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

yep exactly what trinity said, i have had my hope one for about a year now if not longer and still no play… i also cleaned it out my self so its really easy to fit on and reliable 🙂 hope you go for hope!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Dead BB – what replacement?’ is closed to new replies.