Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • 'De-gassing' brake fluid
  • fattatlasses
    Free Member

Used an Avid bleed kit for the first time at the weekend. Followed the online instructions to vacuum the air from the new fluid, and I was really surprised at the amount of air that was dawn out of the fluid.

I’ve got to re-bleed one of my Hope brakes, and had wondered about ‘de-gassing’ the fluid before running it through the system. What I’m trying to achieve is a firm lever feel with minimal fade.

Has anyone experimented with ‘de-gassed’ fluid in non-Avid brakes?

p.s. I’m only bothering because I have an industrial vacuum chamber I can use.

z1ppy

post here t’other day reckoned you can get a lot of the air out of DOT fluid by putting it in the freezer – not tried it, but it sounds interesting and more importantly very easy…

dufresneorama
    Free Member

I can only imagine the least amount of gas in the fluid the better, no matter what brand of brake, but I have no basis for comparison as only ever bled Avids.

If I had an industrial vacuum chamber, I’d be putting all kinds of shit in there.

cp

the less air in the fluid the better for any brake system. I wonder if the avid kit just allows you to use this method with it’s lock-off clamps.

Interesting on the freezing idea.

fattatlasses
    Free Member

If I had an industrial vacuum chamber, I’d be putting all kinds of shit in there

There have been a couple of mysterious ‘incidents’ involving the chamber, not that I know anything about those of course…cough

fattatlasses
    Free Member

the less air in the fluid the better for any brake system. I wonder if the avid kit just allows you to use this method with it’s lock-off clamps.

Yes, I reckon the Avid kit could be be used to de-gas a brakes worth in one go without too much trouble. I was just going to be a lazy so & so and put the whole bottle of fluid in the vac oven – er..though in fact, it might be potentially less messy to use the syringes.

LoCo
    Free Member

Can we have a vote for things for you to put in the vac. chamber and you post the videos please 😀 ?

fattatlasses
    Free Member

Can we have a vote for things for you to put in the vac. chamber and you post the videos please ?

No chance of video-ing the action, as the glass window in there is so covered in gunk from previous mishaps, you can’t see in there 😀

p.s. I’ve just tried the bottle of fluid in the vac oven, but b****r all has happened, so it’s back to the syringes (and new seals on the vac oven again 🙄 )

LoCo
    Free Member

I’m dissapointed now 🙁 Anybody else have random industrial equipement they’re willing to put stuff in??? 😀 and no I’m not putting anything in my nice shiny new lathe!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Never done it, never heard of this until recently, never had any issues with not doing it.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘'De-gassing' brake fluid’ is closed to new replies.