Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Days out from london – inspiration needed
  • harry
    Free Member

ok, so we're a bit bored of the usual plays in chicksands and the south downs around hassocks. Need some inspiration for tommorrow, but limited to the trains…

Anyone got any amazing recommendations?

singletracksurfer

sleeper train to Glentress!

what type of riding?

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

wales? im sure i used to get the train there for a good days/weekend riding

joemarshall
    Free Member

Presumably you know about the Surrey Hills (Dorking train from Waterloo or Victoria) & Swinley (Martin's Heron – on the Reading train from Waterloo).

Although like everywhere else they will be mucky.

Lots of other places on the S Downs that are easy by train – Amberley, Brighton, Eastbourne, Lewes.

Joe

harry
    Free Member

Love the sleeper and have done it a few times. Fantastic riding and then sleeper back just in time for work on monday…

Mostly xc riding

Haven't been to Swinley so maybe we'll give that a go – any tips on routes?

singletracksurfer

Swinley is well worth a visit, but try and meet a local or follow someone. May finally be rideable this weekend too.

Lots of riding in the Chilterns too. Train to Pangbourne.

br
    Free Member

Train to Tring, then ride back via Ashridge (good cafe) and then the Grand Union home?

Or how about train to Wendover then xc to Great Missenden (good cafe in the High Street), then back to xc to Princes Risborourgh?

Etc

No_discerning_taste
    Free Member

You can always take the train to Stockport (2 hours) for some great riding in the Peak District, same as theFlatBoy did

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/is-my-plan-ridiculous-can-you-suggest-better

grahamb
    Free Member

Train to Chichester. Centurian Way from the station up to Lavant. Up over Kingley Vale to High Harting. East along the SDW to west end of Houghton Forest, singletrack in there & Rewell Woods, ending up in Arundel for the train back.

psychle
    Free Member

I like the sound of that route, what's it like and what sort of distance is it? Don't suppose you have a gps file or something? 🙂

jedi

trust me, go to woburn tomorrow. it's BONE dry there

grahamb
    Free Member

psychie, sorry, i don't do gps. It can't be more than 30 miles. I could probably draw something out on a map if you want.

pinches
    Free Member

can i come? i am free most fridays and saturdays 🙂

Loving the sleeper train idea, but how do you get to GT from the station i guess in edinburgh?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Days out from london – inspiration needed’ is closed to new replies.