Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Day ride in the Peaks after so much rain?
  • ahsat

Looking for suggestions of a days ride in the Peaks. Based in the Hope Valley for the weekend. Will have the full sus with us. Something ~15-25 miles. Got the Vertebrate books, but just wondering what people suggest as a good route after so much rain this week?

Cheers

jekkyl

standard. Park in Hope, up the roman road, down potato alley, straight up the other side past the farm with a thousands tons of junk, and left at the cross roads to take you down to the res (screaming mile nabbs wood) if you have time take the scenic route round the top of the res if not then down to fairholmes, coffee at the cafe. Round the other side and up the slabs to winston lee tor, then cut throat bridge and down to the pub. then time depending straight back to hope or climb up through the woods to drop down the roman road to finish. All rocky and pretty much bomb proof. there’ll be some mud on winston lee tor. Let me dig out the gpx. A few thousand people will now comment and suggest different routes 🙂

Garry_Lager

The Chapel Gate – Roych – Hayfield – Jacobs ladder – Edale loop is a classic for wet conditions as it’s quite rocky. Comes up quite modest on the mileage, think it’s only 15 or so, but it’s a hard 15 for most.

Can easily add extensions for a longer day – Some variation of the Ladybower trails in the afternoon, for example.

ahsat

Lol! Thanks jekkyl – as a non local (only been the Peaks with the bike once before!) a .gpx translation of that would be great 😆

The Chapel Gate – Roych – Hayfield – Jacobs ladder – Edale loop

I am thinking this might be the one we did before, but it was probably 5 years ago so need to go and check. Was a good ride though – so flipping hot we were grateful to finish it! Thanks, will look at the map.

mintimperial

I’d go for Garry Lager’s suggestion: Vertebrate guide here. Jekkyl’s loop is a good one but WLT will be a shitshow after this week and Lockerbrook will probably be a bit grim at the top too.

jekkyl

here it is. exactly as described. Minty’s right though wlt will be muddy but not impassable, if it’s not raining than it’s just more fun sliding about! 😀 have fun.

https://www.justgoride.co.uk/routes/28777

dannyh
    Free Member

A few thousand people will now comment and suggest different routes

And thepodge will be along soon to say that you can’t ride Cut Gate because there has been two splashes of rain in the last month…..

🙄

jekkyl

Peveril Stores in Castleton for the best cakes after you finish.
    https://goo.gl/maps/2unNaT4fvbG2

munrobiker
    Free Member

I’d agree with jekkyl’s suggestion. It doesn’t get that muddy in the Peak.

ahsat

Cool thanks all. Gives us two options – will look at the maps, and a cake suggestion. Excellent. Plan to call into Alpkits shop as well…

bails

The Chapel Gate – Roych – Hayfield – Jacobs ladder – Edale loop is a classic for wet conditions as it’s quite rocky. Comes up quite modest on the mileage, think it’s only 15 or so, but it’s a hard 15 for most.

Can easily add extensions for a longer day – Some variation of the Ladybower trails in the afternoon, for example.

Not the OP, but we did this on Sunday, based on the Vertebrate link above. I added in a little diversion down to Birch Vale and then had a potter alongside the river to Hayfield before climbing back up to Jacob’s Ladder. It made it about 17.5 miles rather than just under 14 for the original route. Great day* out.

Well, half a day really, but it took 4 hours of driving to get there and back!

ransos
    Free Member

I’d agree with jekkyl’s suggestion. It doesn’t get that muddy in the Peak.

I rode there last November (from Hope) in loads of snow melt, but I was surprised at how little mud there was.

scandal42
    Free Member

Slight hijack but does anyone know how the Linacre trails are running at the moment?

Is it massively overgrown and unpleasant or is it sweet spot territory?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Day ride in the Peaks after so much rain?’ is closed to new replies.