• This topic has 16 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by nbt.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Day out on a bicycle built for 2
  • Bunnyhop

Can tha ride tandem by Mrs NBT, on Flickr

Dead things by Mrs NBT, on Flickr

Dead things by Mrs NBT, on Flickr

A day out in the Peaks. Dryish trails. no-one else around and lots of good views.
    Starting from the Roman Lakes, we headed up to Aspenshaw Hall. Over to Lantern pike. Some monkey screaming (oooh oooh, ahhh ahhh, eeee eeee) on the rocky downhills. Its amazing how much speed one of these machines can pick up.
    Sad to see the 2 baby weasels, food for the fox later. It certainly wasn’t obvious how they met their end.
    Back home via Robin Hood’s Picking Rods, then more or less back the way we came up, past New Mills golf course.

finishing with pizza in the garden.

ben
    Free Member

Looks like a reet top day out!

Bunnyhop

Indeed it was.
    However I was quite upset when nbt (the captain) discovered the 2 dead woozles, to which I’m very fond. As a stoker you don’t see much ahead, only to the side.

GavinB

There’s some outrageously jaunty pics of nbt there!

The second to last pics cracks me up 🙂

Glad you had a good ride around. Popped out myself after work – too good to miss.

wbss
    Free Member

i’d love to have a go at smashing out some turns on an off road tandem.

Bunnyhop

Gavin – indeed one should never take mtbing too seriously 🙂
    You should come round and have a go, it’s a right laugh when you’re not clinging on for dear life down Nealds way and then the Fox Inn descent.

i’d love to have a go at smashing out some turns on an off road tandem.

Are you local wbss (near Stockport)? I’m sure nbt wouldn’t mind letting you have a go, it’s certainly different.

Hairychested
    Free Member

What sort of budget would such a tandem require?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Hairychested – Member

What sort of budget would such a tandem require?

I am sure they will correct me if I am wrong but that looks like a dawes which come in around £1200 depending on spec and then its been significantly uprated with a decent fork and other bits at a cost of a good few hundreds.

wbss
    Free Member

not local! thanks for the offer though. I used to ride the peaks loads. amazo riding.

BadlyWiredDog

You found my weasels then. If you could drop them off next time you’re passing, that’d be ace, thanks.

nbt

Tandem is indeed a Dawes discovery, we picked it up on the forum here for a rather bargainous couple of hundred quid. They tend to go for around the 400 to 500 mark on Ebay. It arrived with 48 spoke wheels, rigid forks and v-brakes. I spent £150 on a pair of 203mm Avid COde brake with tandem length hoses (from a guy who was putting Hope 4 pots on his tandem), £70 on a Hope pro II 36 spoke on a DH rim with a 20mm axle, and £50 on an old pair of Marzocchi Drop Off IIs with 150mm travel, run with about 70mm of sag – so more on upgrades than on the original purchase. Damn good fun though, completely different to riding solo bikes. The upgrades were necessary, you could hear the rims heat up and being to ping with the heat of rim brakes, and since there’s now way to unweight and flick the bike onto the line you want, the big forks really help with “point and shoot” lines 😀

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Thats bargainacious allright

spacehopper

nice write up..! 😀

and that second to last picture… excellent!
    ‘i say old chap these tandem things are spiffing fun’

im gunna have to get myself a tandem to have a go on at some point… 🙂

GavinB

Yup, even the cow is interested in the tandem!

Bunnyhop

The cow drooled all over our saddle, which the farmer kindly pointed out, so nbt had a sticky bottom for the downhill.

BWD – too late they made a tasty casserole.

BadlyWiredDog

BWD – too late they made a tasty casserole.

Also nice as a kebab I think, the right shape to begin with, which is a bonus. What is that jersey though…

nbt

That jersey was a freebie from a mate. I have two actually, he gave me his when he quit as he said he would never wear anything with their name on again

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Day out on a bicycle built for 2’ is closed to new replies.