Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • David Millar for UCI….
  • rudebwoy
    Free Member

Seems that he is going to throw his cap in the ring, can only be good in my book….

MussEd
    Free Member

Only be god? Thats a tall order….

Rorschach
    Free Member

More chance of Lance getting the job.

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

UCI is not fit for purpose at the moment.

Dave Millar would be good there, he’s an excellent advocate for a clean sport.

MSP

Mcquaid and Verbruggen are not going to give up their power easily, there needs to be a “night of the long knives” for the old guard in the UCI, but honestly I just don’t see it happening. There will be muttering and murmuring, but nothing will change, and it will fade into the past by the next tour.

atlaz
    Free Member

It’s like most of these bodies, the people who want to be on the committees are the very people you’d usually least want on them. It would be good if Millar got on it but unless there was a lot of other new blood, I suspect he’d resign quickly as he’d never get anything done.

Rorschach
    Free Member

^ +1000

rudebwoy
    Free Member

i concur, it needs total clear out at the top, to have any chance of credibility, but someone like DM would have credibility for a number of reasons…poacher turned gamekeeper

midlifecrashes

Bollocks, Millar would be an excellent advocate for the sport if he had stayed clean, or maybe given up trying to be a top pro when he realised he wasn’t winning without EPO, or if he had shown any of this remorse or crusade for clean cycling BEFORE the cops waved the syringes in his face and said “You’re nicked!”

rudebwoy
    Free Member

so you don’t believe people have the capacity to change their behaviour/views then ?

footflaps

No way should a drug cheat (ex or not) be on the UCI. Millar is no better than LA, just got caught earlier.

headfirst
    Free Member

Paul Kimmage for president!

Lifer
    Free Member

footflaps – Member
    No way should a drug cheat (ex or not) be on the UCI. Millar is no better than LA, just got caught earlier.

😆

oddjob
    Free Member

Millar is not the same as Armstrong. Millar admitted the error of his ways when caught, Armstrong has not

Kimmage is not enough of a politician

footflaps

Millar is not the same as Armstrong. Millar admitted the error of his ways when caught, Armstrong has not

Yet.. Maybe LA will have a change of heart and become a reformed character – then we can all love him like Millar and maybe LA should become head of the UCI…..

davidjones15
    Free Member

Poacher turned gamekeeper. Who better?

headfirst
    Free Member

Kimmage is not enough of a politician

But he’d sure as hell shake things up! Perhaps with Millar as his VP??

midlifecrashes

so you don’t believe people have the capacity to change their behaviour/views then ?

I do, but in sport I don’t see any reason for second chances for cheats. The guy who came second will never get a chance to stand on the podium, the guy who played clean and missed the cut off time and lost his team ride and sponsors when you were so much faster will never get that back, the young kid hotshot turning pro needs to know they don’t have to resign themselves as also-rans or cheat to win.

theotherjonv

Who decides on the appointment of President?

‘Cycling’ needs to put up a credible candidate against McQuaid and co. Seems to me like Millar might fit this description. Then it’s up to the voters (who i guess are national governing body reps?) to mark their X appropriately.

In my mind, if a suitable candidate is found and McQuaid and co still get voted back in after this debacle, then the problem goes far far deeper than just the guys at the top, and i fear for the credibility of the sport as a whole.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Sports organizations are hugely political, whilst there might be a role for someone like Millar I’d suggest no matter how much the rank and file cyclist might want him in it’s very unlikely to happen.

How many professional footballers support Sep Blatter ?

zimbo
    Free Member

Armstrong AND Millar would be well nang, blood, And I’m not even lying. Standard.

kennyp
    Free Member

Millar would be perfect for the job. Read his book before you judge him too harshly. He would be great as head of the UCI.

Lifer
    Free Member

zimbo – Member
    Armstrong AND Millar would be well nang, blood, And I’m not even lying. Standard.

😆

Edukator
    Free Member

How about:

Christophe Bassons

Charly Mottet

Greg Lemond

Gilles Delion

Or anyone with a minimum of credibility.

Lifer
    Free Member

footflaps – Member

“Millar is not the same as Armstrong. Millar admitted the error of his ways when caught, Armstrong has not”

Yet.. Maybe LA will have a change of heart and become a reformed character – then we can all love him like Millar and maybe LA should become head of the UCI…..

Lance went way beyond Millar ffs. Who did Millar pressure into doping? Who has Millar smeared in the press or threatened to ‘make their lives a living f***ing hell’? Or sued or bullied or ruined their career?

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Bollocks, Millar would be an excellent advocate for the sport if he had stayed clean, or maybe given up trying to be a top pro when he realised he wasn’t winning without EPO, or if he had shown any of this remorse or crusade for clean cycling BEFORE the cops waved the syringes in his face and said “You’re nicked!”

Unfortunately reformed criminals always come with a hint of doubt about them..

I think he’d be a bad call as there would always be those who would doubt his authenticity..

Me for one.

Edit: Basson or Lemond would be FAR better choices.

jfletch
    Free Member

Sports organizations are hugely political [/i]corrupt, whilst there might be a role for someone like Millar I’d suggest no matter how much the rank and file cyclist might want him in it’s very unlikely to happen.

FTFY

brakes
    Free Member

remember that the UCI are the governing body for the sport. they set and regulate the rules. having a rule-breaker as a leader of such an organisation would be folly and hypocritical, no matter how well regarded he is in the cycling community.

yoda
    Free Member

how about Graham Obree? we could forget about minimum bike weights and frame configurations for a start!

footflaps

Lance went way beyond Millar ffs. Who did Millar pressure into doping? Who has Millar smeared in the press or threatened to ‘make their lives a living f***ing hell’? Or sued or bullied or ruined their career?

Just because someone commits a worse crime doesn’t mean we can forget about all those who aren’t quite as bad. Millar is a doper, you can’t hold him up as Pillar of the community just because he’s not American. Would you want an ex-rapist as local Police Commissioner? Thought not…

thomthumb
    Free Member

Who decides on the appointment of President?

this covers it

How to Replace Pat McQuaid

thomthumb
    Free Member

Would you want an ex-rapist as local Police Commissioner? Thought not…

no, but you might want a burglar as a security consultant…

footflaps

A lifetime ban for any doping offence would probably be a better solution, if you know you can apologise, admit the error of your ways and come back a hero to some on STW, you might be tempted to give EPO a go and chance your luck…..

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

How about Phil Liggett?

😉

Junkyard
    Free Member

Millar is a doper, you can’t hold him up as Pillar of the community just because he’s not American.

Straw man and bringing in nationality is stupid , as if we are all racist for saying that LA and Millar are not the same and race is the real reason ..poor and tragic

Would you want an ex-rapist as local Police Commissioner? Thought not

Yes this example is very much like appointing a rapist as a police commissioner 🙄

Would you want a burglar to design your alarm system or help you with security for your house is the example you were most probably looking for

perhaps we can have some mor ehyperbole, non sequitor and straw maa arguments from you

Junkyard
    Free Member

[/quote]

A lifetime ban for any doping offence would probably be a better solution, if you know you can apologise, admit the error of your ways and come back a hero to some on STW, you might be tempted to give EPO a go and chance your luck….

you are right they cheat SIMPLY because the bans are not long enough amnd STW is important to them

ANY?
    what about accidental like say Alain Baxter?

A few days after his return home, Alain discovered that he had failed a drug test. His sample contained a trace amount of methamphetamine – albeit the inactive levorotary isomer of methamphetamine – levomethamphetamine (aka levMethamphetamine), an isomer with no significant stimulant properties. After an appeal, the IOC declared that Baxter was disqualified from the competition and he would have to return his medal. Reports suggested that Benjamin Raich (the Austrian athlete that received the medal following the IOC’s decision), gave his bronze medal to Alain suggesting it was rightly his, but this has been denied by Baxter.[6]

Baxter was able to confirm later that the trace had originated from a Vicks inhaler bought in the United States. He had been unaware that the contents were different from those found in the UK version. The International Ski Federation accepted his explanation and banned him for the minimum of 3 months.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

zimbo – Member Armstrong AND Millar would be well nang, blood, And I’m not even lying. Standard.

Brilliant! 🙂

Lifer
    Free Member

Pretty much what JY said

As for the lifetime ban – stupid.

Danielson, Vande Velde, Leipheimer and Zabriskie wouldn’t have come forward, admitted doping and given their evidence.

Lifetime ban for second (non-accidental) offense? By all means.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘David Millar for UCI….’ is closed to new replies.