Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 99 total)
  • David Cameron – thick or a liar?
  • TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Having read what he has to say about the Human rights act and the constitution he must be one or the other as he has so much stuff badly wrong.

He talks about a British bill of rights – nothing for Northern Ireland then which is part of the UK but not of Britain.

He talks about the Human rights act having "hindered the fight on crime and terrorism" Now surely he must know that this is false and that incorporating the human rights act into UK law only made one difference – people could use the provisions of the human rights act in UK courts rather than going to Strasbourg. I'd love to see an example of this anyway – there are non that I can think of he he does not claim any specifics

But the biggest stupidity is in talking about altering / downgrading the Human rights act UK. Even if he becomes prime minister he will not have the power to do so in Scotland as the incorporation of the Human Rights act into Scottish law was in the Scotland Act which cannot be altered without the consent of Holyrood – which he will not get.

There is no way of stopping the European convention on Human rights being used in the UK without leaving the EU, the UK prime minister has no power over the incorporation of Human rights law into Scottish law.

He is pandering to the Neocons with this and either he is too thick to realise that he is talking utter bobbins or he is lying by saying things he know not to be true.

Which is it? Myself I am sure it is both.

mtbfix

Does it matter? he is our future PM and as leader of the Conservative Party it is reasonable to assume that two in every three words that utter from his mouth are untruths. Hunker down and look forward to at least ten years of rule by the rich and privileged.

binners

He knows he can't alter any of this. And he knows anyone with half a brain knows this.

But he's banking on the average foaming-mouthed, Daily Mail reading ****wit being too thick to realise this. Then he can turn round, having been elected and say "I tried, but they wouldn't let me. Not my fault" etc etc

5thElefant
    Free Member

Look how the French interpret human rights legislation. I'd assume we can do the same as them. i.e. whatever we want.

br
    Free Member

both, he's a politician if you hadn't noticed

scaredypants

I, for one, welcome our new reptilian overlords

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

5th – there is zero difference between UK law and French on this – Zero.

So this proves him to be the liar I always thought he was?

roper
    Free Member

Good lord!!!It's bad enough with the politicians slagging and moaning about each other with "the run up to the next election".

TJ WE KNOW YOU HATE THE CONSERVATIVE PARTY!!
    now don't get your knickers in such a twist or you will reach overload by May.

clubber
    Free Member

Politician in spouting b******ks and being liars shocker.

They all do it TJ, even your beloved Labour party – even in the good old 'honest' days before they became New Labour.

phinbob

TJ.

I'd have thought that it was obvious, he probably has a pretty good idea of what percentage of the voting population would be able to provide your level of analysis ( I, for one, would not) and what percentage of the population would be more likely to elect him based on what he's said.

He – like all mainstream politicians – has done the maths and will act accordingly. Most of them probably believe that a little blurring of the reality is justifiable as they will save the country form the terrible mess that their opponents will create.

To a large extent, we get the politicians we deserve. Imagine a politician saying something like:-

"well the evidence suggests that to make thing x happen we should do thing y – but hey we can't be 100% sure, we're just doing what we think is best for the country" – instant savaging by the press / opposition.

I'm even sure that many politicians start out wanting to be accurate and honest but soon realise that spin and messaging is the only way in the current system to achieve any of their aspirations to change things for the better.

Gosh, a long post, sorry.

BigDummy
    Free Member

There is no way of stopping the European convention on Human rights being used in the UK without leaving the EU

This isn't right. But that doesn't necessarily make you either thick or a liar. 😉

tiggs121
    Free Member

TJ – I'm with you – he tells lies – but will the voting public see through him in time??

5thElefant
    Free Member

5th – there is zero difference between UK law and French on this – Zero.

The law is the same, implementation isn't. Which is what callmedave seems to be looking at.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I am no great fan of the Labour party – in Nu labour lite or other forms.

No do I hate the tory party. I hate liars and political lightweights.

I just want to see some of the toryboys on here defend this load of utter bobbins from Cameron. Its the worst load of tosh I have heard from a politician since "45 mins"

What is particularly awful about this is the way it shows him pandering to the ignorant and predjudiced in society whith what he really should know is a load of lies.

So toryboys – defend this idiocy from your lying leader then

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Bigdummy – how can you stop EU law being used in the UK without leaving the EU then? Please tell me.

5thElefant
    Free Member

So toryboys – defend this idiocy from your lying leader then

That's an impressive chip.

midlifecrashes

This is because he usually wears a helmet for commuting, isn't it.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

What chip – come on 5th – you are a tory supporter are you not? can you defend this mendacious piece of windbaggery?

I will attack cant and humbug where ever tehy come from

Junkyard
    Free Member

Dont all politicians pander to idiots – lets be honest most of the electorate could not answer some fairly simple political questions if we asked them at the ballot box. It is politically astute by Dave as it panders to the euro sceptic wing and the Mail reading neo -cons without alienating Disraelli /European Tories [who know he cannot do this].
    In power he can either ignore this or use it as a tool for moaning about Europe…whichever is the most useful.
    Unfortunately the days of principled politicians [of either hue]sticking to their guns are a thing of the past.

clubber
    Free Member

TJ, to my mind you clearly do have a chip on your shoulder which has been regularly demonstrated by your perjurative use of the word 'Toff'.

GrahamS

Hunker down and look forward to at least ten years of rule by the rich and privileged.

So vote LibDem, forcing a coalition government that will take the edge off the right-wing sword?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Pejorative?

Clubber – are you or have you ever been a toff? 😉

BTW – I am so middle middle class you would not believe it 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Junkyard, very well put.

Oh, and TJ, thick people don't get on to a PPE course you know…..

the-muffin-man

I hate liars and political lightweights.

Thats 99.9% of the Labour party then!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Really CFH? *Raises eyebrow*

So he is a liar then?

Merlinman

PPE?
    Is he in 'elf 'n safety then? 🙂

uplink
    Free Member

GrahamS

most of the electorate could not answer some fairly simple political questions if we asked them at the ballot box.

I've often thought this should be compulsory.

"You have selected: LABOUR.
    Which of the following statements describes the LABOUR manifesto policy on the European Union…"

Minimum 3 out of 5 or your vote only counts half 😀

clubber
    Free Member

TJ, in your class war way, you'd probably say I was a Toff but I'm pretty sure I'm not. I'm from a comfortable middle-class family. Not rich enough not to worry about recession and so on but comfortable enough to have been to private school. Probably similar in essence to our Glorious Leader actually.

I'm also lucky enough to have been to a very mixed class state school (one of the kids in my class was from just about the richest family in Britain at the time while there were also kids from the nearby housing estates) when younger and a very public school uni later on.

Funny thing is that having met people from lots of well known private schools, I'd have said that the Etonions while being a little separated from the real world as you might expect were far less bad than many at other schools which wouldn't be used as ammo in political discussions – Winchester College is one in particular that seemed to breed people with no concept of people less fortunate than themselves and worse in fact, contempt. Eton as far as I could work out did at least try to ensure that their pupil's appreciated how lucky they are.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

PPE – politics, philosophy and economics. Traditionally the easiest degree to get and the haven for the thick sons of the aristocracy ( if they are not too thick when they go to agricultural college instead) and sportsfolk

5thElefant
    Free Member

What chip – come on 5th – you are a tory supporter are you not? can you defend this mendacious piece of windbaggery?

The last time I voted Tory was in 1986. So no, I don't see myself as a tory.

I gather callmedave's point is we can look at how we implement the law. France appears to manage to do what it wants, so there's no reason we can't.

Is he thick or a liar? Probably. He's a politician. Is he less thick and less of a liar than brown? Hard to believe otherwise.

allthepies
    Free Member

TJ – where is your source for "There is no way of stopping the European convention on Human rights being used in the UK without leaving the EU" ?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Clubber – you don't sound like a Toff to me – sound rather middle middle class much like me.

I am not interested in class war. I am interested in fairness and equality of opportunity rather than the entrenching of privilege. Thats equality for all no matter the background

Interesting what you say about etonians – the only ones I have net were dreadful stereotypical upperclass twits

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Or, TJ, PPE – current entry requirements for Oxford are at least three A grades at A-level (At least one of which must be maths) and a supplementary entrance exam.

So, not exactly one for " thick sons of the aristocracy ( if they are not too thick when they go to agricultural college instead) and sportsfolk " (Your chip is showing again….)

mudshark
    Free Member

I'm far more interested in how the economy will be dealt with than something like this so I don't care. Maybe Gordon is less of a liar than Tone but that don't mean I'll vote for him.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

All the pies – that is the position. The UK is a signatory to the European convention on Human rights which is incorporated into EU law. It is a prerequisite for being in the EU that you obey EU law.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

CFH – he got a first as well IIRC.

Its still the tradition haven for the thick as you well know

backhander
    Free Member

What about Blair?
    Was he lied to by everyone (Bush, Govt Int) about Iraq or did he lie?
    Didn't Brown support his decision to invade?

5thElefant
    Free Member

It is a prerequisite for being in the EU that you obey EU law.

You seem to be failing to grasp (or ignoring for argumentative purposes) that EU law is implemented in completely different ways in each member state.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Blair – my feeling is he believed what he said – even tho it was utter bobbins some of the time. I believe he was sincere – just deluded. I am not sure that is any better – infact probably worse.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 99 total)

The topic ‘David Cameron – thick or a liar?’ is closed to new replies.