Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)
  • Dave Hinde
  • eskay

Currently experiencing very poor customer service from this shop, anyone else used them before?

RoterStern
    Free Member

Just Google the name and sit back and make yourself an extremely big cup of joe.

bren2709

Pitch forks at the ready!

Yes used them and have or had no issues or complaints!

GO!

paddy0091
    Free Member

Good luck. Regarded as Worst shop ever, their eBay shop was terminated as his feedback was unbelievably bad (fact), used to meet up with miffed customers in car parks for fights.(rumor). Have to buy all their Mavic parts from elsewhere as Mavic won’t deal with them

z1ppy

TBH the stream of complaints about DH have seemingly tailored off over the years, though personally I took this to mean maybe he’d gone out of business, but maybe they have actually improved. Though the actual physical shop was always defended quite vehemently. They also sold on ebay as “number1bikebits”, which is now a defunct member… I don’t take that as a good sign (LOL looking at the post above)

He has a bad rep as far as I am concerned, like Mark Anthony (active sports), I shall never be buying off him or considering giving them money. If you paid by credit card, just go talk to them, instead of waste breath with DH.

eskay

Damn, should have done a bit more research!

Gutted as my lad has a new frame and I ordered parts from various shops, all have turned up apart from Mr Hinde’s. Ordered a couple of weeks ago as he needs the bike tomorrow (not going to happen now)

I have been on the phone all week and the last person I spoke to was bloody rude.

Live and learn I guess.

paddy0091
    Free Member
    eskay

Wow. That feedback is something else!

Anyone got a new track chanset 165 arms, 48 t ring, 1/8″ for sale?

I’ll let you verbally abuse me on the phone!

BigJohn

This response to his feedback is a classic

Reply by number1bikebits (Jun-05-08 05:04):
    If you spent as much time cycling as you do moaning you would be world champion

justatheory
    Free Member

If it wasn’t real it’d be funny

spuddle
    Free Member

Just to balance things out, Ive never had a problem with them, they have custom built me 2 sets of wheels, which both times were ready the next day, and had a few parts ordered in, always been friendly and reliable. Just because they give real world replies to feedback like ordinary people would and not huge companies with plenty of legal backup.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Hi, Dave.

We’ve been expecting you.

yossarian
    Free Member

🙂

There are plenty of honest, decent and helpful retailers on the web. In my experience Dave Hinde isn’t one of them.

thorpie
    Free Member

Received a pair of hand-built wheels from him the other week, no problems at all and the wheels are fine.

Trevor.

inkster
    Free Member

bought a wheels & disk brake package from them 10 years back which they set up for me. All in all there were 4 errors in how they’d set the brakes up, cable fouled rear tyre, one rotor mounted wrong way round, rear brake not spaced properly [old is mount hope mini’s] and something else. All easily rectified but they were my 1st experience of disk brakes so thought I’d get a shop to do it properly!

Well, you live and learn don’t you!

Oh, and they threw away the V brakes and levers they’d taken off that I needed for another bike and didn’t compensate me.

Wheels are still going strong to this day though, and I’m a big bloke who had wrecked a few previously.

Dave Hind for wheels? Yes. Anything else…. No

crikey
    Free Member

I bought some wheels from him in 1993 and they were the worst set of handbuilts I ever rode. 3 snapped spokes in 3 weeks, rear so flexy it rubbed the paint off the chainstays.

Avoid like the plague.

eskay

I have a nasty feeling that I placed the order using my debit card.

I will try to cancel the order on Tuesday (on the basis of how they spoke to me tonight as well as the lies). In the mean time I am going to have to re-order the parts from someone else.

I remember seeing their adverts in cycling weekly for years so did not envisage any problems.

splashdown
    Free Member

Simply the worst outfit I’ve ever had the misfortune of dealing with…

I ended up paying a tenner for the privilege of letting them have my £300 for four months with the never ending promise of a pair of mythical wheels.

Bare faced lies Excuses included:

…been dispatched already (unable to provide tracking details…they used this excuse three times!)
    ….waiting on parts (hang on..I thought they’d been dispatched?)
    ….lost my address (they were beginning to run out of excuses by this stage)
    …..lost my details (…ran out of excuses)
    ….no one there to authorise my refund (this was a good one and they ran with it for about 6 weeks)

I really hope you can get your money back….

mmel
    Free Member

I’m afraid I’m going to have to mention that I’ve not had a problem with them and I find the wheels they build bob on. Three experiences now, first building a complete wheel set, second repairing said wheels set after the mech went into the spokes, and lastly building a rear wheel for me when I needed the rear hub changing to 142×12.

All I can say is that on every occasion I rang up and placed the order without paying a penny, then when the wheels were ready (2 weeks the norm) they rang me, I went to the shop, paid my money and job was a good-un.

On the last build, I was given a number of options for converting my rear wheel to 142×12 and in the end they happily part ex’d my complete old rear wheel for a shiny new build.

I’m happy, but then I’ve never used their on-line services

skink2020

Just recived a set of wheels from them.
    Perfectly built and beautiful.
    Took them nearly a month to get here however. No reply to 4 emails.
    Wheels are perfect however.

imnotverygood

As has probably been said before: Clearly not every customer who uses Dave Hinde gets ripped off: Otherwise they wouldn’t remain in business. You can’t tell from the internet what proportion of their customers have a problem, although Hinde certainly seems to get a lot of complaints. The point is that when it does go wrong you can almost guarantee the sort of rude, abusive, deceitful behaviour you see reported here. So for me the question is: ‘Do I want to give business to a shop which treats (some) customers like this? (even if I might be lucky & have no problems at all)’

edhornby

…. the last person I spoke to was bloody rude.

guess who !!!

wrecker
    Free Member

This needs to be a sticky.

hora
    Free Member

Just proves how much new/churn customers there are for bikeshops out there

acehtn
    Free Member

I can join in too.

Used once a long time ago.

Telephone order.
    Expected delivery within 5 days.
    7 days phone up, and the fun begins….

Took 3 months to get visa to get my money back.

Lied to at the point of ordering.
    Lied to everytime i phoned to chase order.
    **** quick to take my money, although nothing was actually in stock that i ordered even though they stated it was.
    Staff are so rude if you lived local you would go down the shop and find the little big man on the other end of the phone and demand your money back out of the till as no one is capable of doing a credit card refund until the end of the month when they do them en-masse, funny how quick they take the cash !

Pre-email days for me, so had to write letters and keep copys to send to visa to get my money back. Not a single reply.

If someone riding a Dave hinde bike burst into flames in front of me i wouldn’t urinate on them to put it out, thats there lasting legacy, the absolute worst experince of mail order i have ever had and put me off mail order for many years.

Bunch of money grabbing barstewards.

Off to read the ebay feedbacks 🙂

eskay

Seems to me this is exactly what trading standards was invented for.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Used once many moons ago, fobbed, parts delayed, arrived evetually, think I was lucky unlike most, never again.

crikey
    Free Member

Seems to me this is exactly what trading standards was invented for.

I think they know where he lives; google Dave Hinde Trading Standards.

eskay

It appears I paid through Paypal so maybe all is not lost.

acehtn
    Free Member

Kinda thought they might have managed to work out customer service.
    ebay feedback is a few years old, but thats shocking.

Same old things.
    If they where the last bike shop on the planet with the last available part i needed……still wouldn’t use them.

eskay, good luck old bean, maybe it’s in the post right NOW 🙂

Things i was told.

I could never talk to the manager, even when i phoned back as requested.
    Refunds couldn’t be done over the phone ? had to write and request it.
    Refunds can only be done by certain staff who are not in at that moment, phone back later.
    Refunds on cards are done at the end of the month only, you will have to wait until the end of the month (refund dosen’t happen, repeat above)
    unhelpful, rude staff that actually start baiting you for a laugh, because they know your a few hundred miles away and not about to come down and vist them.
    Also had “waiting on parts” be the end of the week, etc etc etc.

yossarian
    Free Member

Nowadays I order stuff from merlin, CRC and Charlie the bikemonger. CRC have dropped the ball a couple of times but sorted it out very quickly and at no cost to me. The other two have been faultless.

Edit: and all-terrain too actually. One of their blokes spent 15 minutes weighing cannondale rizes for me over the phone and was not every slightly pissed off when I said I’d need to mull it over. I’m sure he had a little swear under his breath after hanging up though, I would have! 🙂

terrahawk
    Free Member

I saw Dave and his henchmen at a cycle jumble last year. He looked like a right hard nut.

hora
    Free Member

That got cracked?

samuri
    Free Member

There was a rumour going around that if you were a roadie he’d treat you great and if you were a mountain biker he’d treat you badly.

I don’t care though, there’s so much bad press about him I’d never use his shop. There’s simply too much bad press about his shop to consider using him. My advice would be to follow suit. There’s plenty of shops out there with none or very little poor feedback.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

There’s plenty of shops out there with none or very little poor feedback.

And plenty more with a lot of good feedback.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

It might seem like a daft question but how can a muppet like that with possibly the worst feedback I’ve ever read about a shop still be in business?

imnotverygood

Regular ads in Cycling Weekly…read the OP

hora
    Free Member

Again. It shows just how much businrss there isfor a bikeshop if you sell online.

A bikeshop owner recently won the lottery, said he was poor but his wife already owned NINE horses.

The clue is to go mail order/online. Endless customers. There will always be someone new etc who has never heard of him.

Threats to customers? He’d have the Police called on him surely.

RoganJosh
    Free Member

Reply by number1bikebits (Jun-18-08 06:07):
    Poor communication?! The man speaks not a word of English! My fault obviousley!

That reply is class!

londonerinoz
    Free Member

A certain Dave Hind holds most of the Strava KOMs on the Kalamunda (mtb) Circuit here in Perth, Western Australia. I had idly fancied it could have been the man himself, but sadly there’s no e on the end.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘Dave Hinde’ is closed to new replies.