Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Daughters first day at nursery
  • LoCo
    Free Member

Having dropped my daughter off at nursery for the first full day today, I’m wondering how long it takes for a child to get used to different surroundings.
    She’s really adaptable and loves other children but still worry how she’s going to cope at 10 month old.
    Any thoughts and/or experiences?

maxray
    Free Member

Ours was fine, I found it hard to leave her the first few times but not hanging around and making it a big thing seemed to work best. You could peek in the window once you had gone outside and see she was fine anyway.

Dr_Bakes
    Free Member

To be honest I think it was more of wrench for me when we dropped our son off for the first time *sniff*.

I think it was a week or so before he stopped crying when we left him but the staff were excellent and would distract him as best they could. We were told he soon settled after we had left. After a few weeks he would start to jig and wiggle (clear signs of a happy boy!?) as we approached the nursery!

In my opinion I think being at nursery has made him much less clingy than the children of friends who’ve not been.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    djglover
    Free Member

as above, don’t go in with them, leave them at the door. Any tears are generally for your benefit and they will be fine as soon as they are in. Kids are really adaptable, they are just a bit fickle and stubborn sometimes.

Our twins, just turned 2 were hyper exited to be back at Nursery this week which was a great relief to be honest as you always have at the back of your mind would they be better off at home with a parent. I’m convinced they get a huge amount out of nursery now and you can see their social and language skills come on leaps and bounds on almost a daily basis

doc_blues
    Free Member

she’ll be fine. you’ll feel guilty for a while (I still do, especially when my nearly 3 year old comes home and says ‘daddy, I had a lovely day, but I missed you!’)

10 months is a good age as it is about the time that separation anxiety develops – we found it really helped with our boy (sent at 8 months) – had no such issues compared to folk we know.

also, I see it as the start of ‘informal’ education – socialization with other kids, learning through play etc etc – our boy has thrived at his nursery (but I do think we have been lucky with the nursery). On the other hand a friend who’s boy was born at the same time as mine (literally in the next room in the hospital) has had reall problems with rubbish nannies and getting him to settle in nursery now he is older….

LoCo
    Free Member

Cheers, she was happy when I dropped her off and wanted to play with the other children so I guess she’ll be fine.
    We’d met so many nannies but non fitted the bill hence nursery, still sat here feeling a bit guilty though 😕

ski
    Free Member

Getting our two to leave is a nightmare!

Think they both would prefer to stay there than be at home!

still sat here feeling a bit guilty though

Yea that will go after picking her up tonight, & tomorrow you will be fine.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Don’t feel guilty – but do wish you hadn’t put her in when the bugs follow her home and her illness rate jumps.

Well that’s what we found, but still, it’s ultimately good for them to be exposed to bugs so their immune system can get going.

We were lucky though – having twins means they are still with familiar faces when they go in for their one day a week – but they normally go off to play with other kiddies.

LoCo
    Free Member

She’s only there 3 days a week as we’re both doing 4 day weeks (until the race season starts properly) so she’s with me tomorrow so a good walk round Cwmcarn is on the cards.

LoCo
    Free Member

mastiles_fanylion, we’ve already had the ‘illest’ winter ever due to the amount of playgroups and NCT mums gatherings my wife went too when not working. Just shifting the current cold and waiting to see what I get next week 🙂

mrsflash
    Free Member

I’ve just started ringing childminders in preparation of my return to work later in the year 🙁 I’m sure he’ll be fine but I don’t think I will 😉

geoffj

Junior 1 loved it, Junior 2 hates it with a passion and will scream the house down sometimes when she has to be got ready to go.
    Luckily Mrs J drops her off 8)

LoCo
    Free Member

I think mrs Loco has had a worse time of it as she has had to go back to a pretty stressful job in government and be separtated from her after looking after her for the majority of the last 10 months.

Junkyard
    Free Member

but still worry how she’s going to cope at 10 month old

you miss them much more than they miss you

LoCo
    Free Member

Cheers all 😀

teagirl
    Free Member

Doesn’t get any better, my 11yr old daughter started a new school yesterday, 18miles from home, new friends, going on a bus…. I’m in bits!

sv

The children seem to cope better than the parents!

cbrsyd
    Free Member

think it was a week or so before he stopped crying when we left him

I wish.

Think how the alternative feels.

Only time my daughter ever cried was when we came to pick her up, had to peel her from the leg of her favourite nursery nurse and carry her screaming to the car!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Daughters first day at nursery’ is closed to new replies.