Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Data recovery firms – any recommendations
  • mtbvision
    Free Member

My external hard disc drive (Lacie Big Disc Extreme) packed up last night:
    – faint ticking noise
    – blue flashing light
    – write fail message before it stopped working
    – not recognised by my computer.

I want to recover the data on it, but a quick google search revealed quite a few data recovery firms. Does anyone have experience of them and recommend any to use/avoid? Also, if anyone thinks that this can be repaired for less than data recovery, then I’d like to hear suggestions.

Thanks!

uplink
    Free Member

Bung it in the freezer for a couple of hours

bassspine
    Free Member

vogon used to be good. But how much do you value the data, because they start at something scary like £50/mB

schrickvr6
    Free Member

I365 are good, they will quote before going ahead as well.

If you try the freezer trick make sure you seal it in a bag and suck the air out lol.

Is the drive recognized in the bios?

It may be worth taking the drive out of the enclosure and plug it in directly to an ide or sata cable.

As said depends it how much you value the data, the more you mess about with it yourself the worse the drive will get.

Tommdr
    Free Member

I work for the technical wing of a film company and from my experience, these companies generally just use software to extract the data. We use macintosh systems and use software called Data Rescue 2 by Prosoft Engineering Inc.. Apparently this is the main software used by these recovery firms and they do have a PC version. I’ve used the mac vers. on a few lacie drives with simillar issues as your drive and been able to get most of the data from it intact. You can get the mac version here and pc version here

Hope this helps.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Data recovery firms – any recommendations’ is closed to new replies.