Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Dashcams ….. Talk to me.
  • letmetalktomark

A friend of mine made a very compelling case / reason for him to start using one and it got me thinking.

Mrs LMTTM travels a fair way for work – too and fro inc visits etc – all insured and declared.

All of this time she is the only occupant.

I can see a dashcam as helping even out a story of events especially in the event of an accident involving a car with multiple occupants.

Apart from connecting the two cameras they look straight forward to install.

So anyone use one …. Any recommendations?

My friends one was about £30 from a petrol station and looked pretty good.

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

I’m looking for one myself,from what I’ve read some of the cheaper one’s aren’t too good in low light situations.
    I’ll look at reviews from Argos & Halfords,they sell enough of the things..
    The Nextbase 312 GW seems to get good reviews.

trail_rat
    Free Member

The nextbase with GPS is buggy as hell locking up all the time don’t trust it at all. I’m sure there is some review editing going on on their website…. Mines not been put up…..

I have a couple of Chinese ones -not cheapys – about 90 quid each with gps and they work fine .the only thing they struggle with and it applys o most dash cam is front number plates at night because the camera focuses to the headlights not the number plate…. Don’t think that’s been solved yet .

grim168
    Free Member

Got a transcend 220 a few weeks ago on offer at currys. Got good review at techmoan. Paid 69.99

letmetalktomark

What’s the consensus on dual or single set ups.

Dual seems almost too obvious.

somafunk

I’d avoid the next base dash cams as despite the glowing reviews I know of a few mates who have had repeat issues, the transcend cams seem very decent, I bought one a few years ago for my dad and it works fine, I fitted a hardwire kit into the fuse box so it comes on automatically. At the moment I have a cheapy eBay £30 special which is alright but I’ll be ordering the new Garmin 55 dash cam this week, I like the voice operation options and the superior video quality

project
    Free Member

Used and bought by aggressive drivers who think they own the damm roads, who roam around looking for trouble and accidents /near mises, to post up the footage on youtube and hope to become famous for five minutes after the footage is shown on itv.

Doh, this is said about us squidgy cyclists, not people driving round in 1.5 tones of steel and plastic.

Tiger6791

Dissapapointed;

Thought this was going to a thread about possessed dash cams that actually talk to the OP

Could just be the Satnav though..

househusband

Used and bought by aggressive drivers who think they own the damm roads, who roam around looking for trouble and accidents /near mises, to post up the footage on youtube and hope to become famous for five minutes after the footage is shown on itv.

That’s your opinion and you are indeed entitled to it.

But it works both ways; it records your driving too and, personally, having one for a few years has made me think more about my own driving and I think it has made me drive more defensively – rather than more aggressively.

letmetalktomark

Put down the Daily Mail Project and breathe 😆

Funnily enough the reason for me contemplating one is as a result of a incident with two cars where one reversed into the other (stationary). Fault lay with the car reversing. Car reversing had three burly chaps in. Stationary car didn’t.

Matters escalated quickly. Fortunately incident (busy supermarket car park) was caught by another car with a dash cam and was able to back up the story of the driver in the stationary car.

If a dash cam could help alleviate confrontation then for me, well my wife, it’s worth considering.

sprinter2139
    Free Member

I have a dashcam fitted (front only), cost me £60 and it took £50 off my insurance premium for having one fitted (even though I fitted it myself).

Had an accident a few weeks ago where a driver slammed on their brakes at a roundabout right at the last second (so late that they ended up half on and half off the roundabout) and I bumped into the back of them.

I was far enough back and well within the speed limit, but despite it clearly being the other drivers fault, my insurance company didn’t even want to see the footage.

So from my point of view it’s been a waste of time, as tbh the only time it would help is in a case where it’s so clearly the other person’s fault they wouldn’t even need your footage, but may use it to backup a story.

bails

I was far enough back

So you could have stopped but decided to ram them on purpose?

Sounds like completely your fault tbh.

Edit: the above is why I think they’re a good idea. Someone can drive into the back of you and say “I didn’t do anything wrong, that’s your fault that is”. The cam will show what actually happened.

If buying from halfords don’t forget 10% British Cycling discount.

somafunk

I was far enough back and well within the speed limit, but despite it clearly being the other drivers fault, my insurance company didn’t even want to see the footage

If you were far enough back then you would have been able to safely come to a stop before colliding with the car in front

bear-uk
    Free Member

I bought 2 from Gearbest. Apart from the startup noise I forget they are there when driving.

sprinter2139
    Free Member

So you could have stopped but decided to ram them on purpose?
    Sounds like completely your fault tbh.

Aah yes of course because the car infront dabbing the brakes on the approach to the roundabout then accelerating towards it, signaling that they had checked and decided it was clear to go, before doing an emergency stop less than 2 car lengths from the give way markings for no reason and ending up half in the roundabout is entirely my fault.

I’m glad you pointed out my error now.

bails

The fact that your insurance company didn’t even want to see the footage and just threw in the towel when you told them what happened tells you everything you need to know about who’s in the wrong.

aracer
    Free Member

Of course what another driver does is not your fault at all, I agree with you totally.

aracer
    Free Member

…just in case you need reminding though, it wasn’t the other driver who drove into you.

sprinter2139
    Free Member

The fact that your insurance company didn’t even want to see the footage and just threw in the towel when you told them what happened tells you everything you need to know about who’s in the wrong.

Actually it doesn’t, in the event of a rear impact the driver behind is automatically at fault regardless of the situation and who actually caused it unless it can be proved it was deliberate.

I’m glad you all seem to have an in depth understanding of this specific incident to the point where you seem to know more about what happened than I do though. 🙄

Wait until you fall victim to a crash 4 cash scam and try to tell your insurance company “it wasn’t my fault, honest”.

aracer
    Free Member

There’s a reason for that – remind me again who did cause it?

Wait until you fall victim to a crash 4 cash scam and try to tell your insurance company “it wasn’t my fault, honest”.

Hopefully as I leave enough space to stop if somebody brakes suddenly in front of me I won’t.

sprinter2139
    Free Member

I leave enough space between me and the car infront, taking into account upcoming obstacles. But you’re a liar if you claim to never at any point in your driving career have been within a distance to the car infront which you couldn’t stop, even for a few seconds. You’ve just been lucky up to this point, as had I.

If I see another car coming round the roundabout, or a car poking out of a side road, I slow down to anticipate the car infront making a sudden change of speed/direction.

This car had no reason to slow down, let alone perform a dangerous emergency stop that left it half in a roundabout, parked over the top of the give way lines.

If I see brake lights on the car infront and there is an obstacle ahead, my brain tells me to slow down fast as they may be coming to a stop.

If there is clearly nothing ahead of the car infront, you don’t anticipate them performing an emergency stop, you assume they are just slowing down for the curve of the roundabout.

This was a roundabout I use frequently, and I know now that the other driver was in the wrong lane and so probably panicked at the last minute.

I’m not getting my knickers in a twist over the accident though, could be a scam, could just be a newish driver panicking at the thought of a lane change on a roundabout. Point is I bet you’d all be singing a different tune if the shoe was on the other foot.

tjagain

Nope – drive into the back of someone its your fault. Simple as.

sprinter2139
    Free Member

Evidently so, I guess trying to find sympathy as a car driver on a cycling forum was never going to work. 😆

aracer
    Free Member

except you apparently didn’t

But you’re a liar if you claim to never at any point in your driving career have been within a distance to the car infront which you couldn’t stop, even for a few seconds. You’ve just been lucky up to this point, as had I.

I’m not claiming that, but I don’t need to be that lucky because I don’t do so routinely. The majority of other drivers I see on the roads do though.

Point is I bet you’d all be singing a different tune if the shoe was on the other foot.

I’d be irritated with myself, but I wouldn’t be trying to claim to be innocent given an incident which was clearly my fault.

Can I check again – who ran into who?

Bad luck. Hope your silly mistake isn’t costing you too much.

alpin
    Free Member

sprinter2139 – Member
    Evidently so, I guess trying to find sympathy as a car driver on a cycling forum was never going to work.

Dude, this is tj you are arguing with. Give up now and save yourself a world of pain

sprinter2139
    Free Member

except you apparently didn’t

Since when did an empty roundabout class as an obstacle which requires an emergency stop? lol

Can I check again – who ran into who?

No, you may not. Because any one of you who has responded has just given the same industry standard response without any actual evidence or knowledge of what actually happened.

People get scammed by these idiots all the time, making sudden stops with a car full of people to make whiplash claims. If you were there and saw how these people acted before and after the accident you’d be pretty convinced it was deliberate too.

Anyway I’m off to bed, got to be up early to tailgate people during rush hour apparently. 😆

Dude, this is tj you are arguing with. Give up now and save yourself a world of pain

Who is tj? And why should this be an issue? ❓

alpin
    Free Member

Find out at your peril…..

Have you not got work in the morning?

Joe

Life is far too short.

sprinter2139
    Free Member

Find out at your peril…..

It would have to be a name that linked to someone in real life, otherwise could just be another keyboard warrior? 😉

And yes I do, which is why I’m bidding this thread farewell to get some rest.

aracer
    Free Member

Idiots? They’re the ones raking it in with a successful scam, not the ones enabling the scam by driving too close (I imagine it’s quite easy for them to find suitable “victims”).

Well you should have said earlier about how they acted – clearly that makes all the difference to whether or not you could stop in time.

sprinter2139
    Free Member

So anyone use one …. Any recommendations?

Anyway, in summary yes you should buy a dashcam. I have a Transcend DrivePro 200 and it’s been fantastic.

Low light clarity could be better though, wouldn’t want to have to read a number plate at a distance from it.

I’m thinking of upgrading mine as it only films 1080p 30fps I think, but I’m unsure whether 1080p 60fps or 4k 30fps would be the more useful framerate/resolution.

frankconway

You asked about TJ – argumentative, always right; some people say he’s ok but I have no evidence……………….

njee20
    Free Member

I wholly agree with his (and aracer’s) comment here though!

retrorick

I use a xaiomi yi dash cam.
    Not hard wired but uses the cig lighter socket.
    I just plug it in every trip.
    Picture quality is very good and low light is also good.
    Not told insurance co and not had to use in the event of an accidental either.
    All cars will eventually have built in cameras and data recorders so I might as well use one now.

tjagain

Oi
    this is the new improved less argumentative me!

woody74

I don’t see the point of them unless to prosecute someone. From an insurance point of view, insurers use the knock for knock system so irrelevant of whose fault it is they pay out and the claim goes against your policy. This stops them getting into expensive legal arguments with other insurance companies. Just because you have video showing it was not your fault makes no difference in 99% of cases.

They do of course capture great video for YouTube!,,

tjagain

insurance companies will and do use them to avoid payouts and “knock for knock” as the cameras will sometimes allow blame to be attributed fairly.

some insurance companies offer a discount if you have one. I think in 10 years they will be all but compulsory as insurance companies insist on them

trail_rat
    Free Member

Those that don’t see the point in them I guess have not had to deal with a lying **** playing the system despite being wholely at fault ….. Think magicing up witnesses who were not present at the time.

-she drove into passengers door g the wife’s car and somehow that was our fault.

This also happened a few weeks ago ….called it into the cops and was asked to send over the footage . Lad was driving down the wrong side of the road directly at me and swearved at last minute.

cultsdave
    Free Member

I would like a dashcam but it would have to be one that automatically turned on when I started the car otherwise I wouldn’t bother using it. How easy is this to achieve. Car is a 63plate mondeo if that makes any difference. Would also like it hidden behind the rear view mirror.

redthunder
    Free Member

@sprinter2139

Post your video. 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Dashcams ….. Talk to me.’ is closed to new replies.