Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Darwen to Rivi
  • bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Anyone got a good route. To the barn and Healey Nab from Darwen Tower.
    Also I know of San Marino and Ice Cream run, but what’s the Shoulder and kennels run?
    Also from the barn a route back to Darwen or the A666.
    30 years of living in the area and I’ve rode Rivington well San Marino descent twice.

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

Not got a GPX but we do a route from Rivi to the Rocketship.
    Have a look at a O/S map.
    From what I remember you do the San Marino & cross the road at Belmont going past the little industrial estate then pick up the Witton Weavers way.From what I remember you then go through an area near Roddlesworth reservoir & head to Darwen moor,on the way back from the tower we go across Roddlesworth reservoir,into Abbey village turn left at a big pub & go past a big timber yard before going off road & ending up passing the cricket pitch at White Coppice.
    When you come out on the road, do a right & you’ll end up going up the bridleway where you can take a right & that takes you to Healy Nab.
    I know that’s a bit vague but if you can read a map you’ll work out the route..
    If you look on strava you should find something,HTH

flashpaul
    Free Member

Have a look on ViewRanger , my route is called tockholes to healey nab

There are a few other rivi routes on ViewRanger as well , just search for rivington , you can export gpx from the ViewRanger website

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Will I be able put a gpx file on my garmin edge 1000 from view ranger and follow it. If so how?

jonnym92

Not sure if you can see this but a strava route of a similar ride i’ve done here.

I’ve just started from the Darwen side.

lowey

Shoulder (take the road to the top then follow on the path along the edge)

Kennels

Rivi to Darwen, best route if dry is over Great Hill and through Roddlesworth IMO. Or San Marino to Belmont, over the dam, then Witton Weavers to Darwen Moor.

simmy
    Free Member

Like has been said, San Marino to Belmont road then I’ve been through Belmont village and keep to the right and drop onto the dam where the 50 mph sign is.

Keep left, through a farm and between the buildings push up the footpath onto witton weavers,

Onto the road then either drop down left into the woods and come back out onto the road near the pub or stay on the road till the pub.

At the side of the pub, there is a bridle way which takes up towards Darwen Tower. Can’t remember exactly the way, but think I went near a United Utilities compound.

chakaping
    Free Member

+1 Simmy’s route, is how I’ve done it.

Lowey’s suggestion of heading up Great Hill gives ypu a cracking descent to White Coppice then a road and off road climb to Healey Nab.

There’s a couple of options from there to Rivi, you probably know those already.

Doing that as a loop took me five hours-ish, with a lot of mucking about and getting lost in Tockholes.

jonnym92

I wouldn’t bother with Great Hill just yet as it’s an utter bog. Especially heading down the Roddlesworth side. They are putting the slabs all the way across though which should make it rideable year round.

I would do San Marino to Witton Weavers, up to the tower via Lyons Den, mess about around the tower if you want and then down Stepback Brook to the Royal, into Roddlesworth woods and over up to Great Hill, this way you get the White Coppice descent in too, minus the bog. From the Coppice follow the Goyt to the reservoir and you’re more or less at the Nab.

I think, Simmy, you’re referring to the climb from Sunnyhurst woods, which heads near a UU place.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

pretty much what they all said^^^
    Darwen Tower to Roddlesworth by whatever route suits best.
    Roddlesworth to Abbey Village
    Abbey Village to White Coppice via Wheelton Plantation and the Goit
    Healey Nab then Heapey Fold lane
    Climb from to Anglesark Res to Yarrow Res
    Rivington
    Lower Barn to Pike
    Down Wilderswood
    Back up and over Wilders Moor
    Burnt Edge
    Shooting huts climb to Winter Hill
    San Marino
    Simmy’s route from Belmont res to Witton Weavers

carlos
    Free Member

Did something very similar to this a number of years back. Started in Darwen somewhere and headed over to Whittlestone Head and Entwistle before passing the tower, but I can’t remember that bit.

Takes in Healy Nab, kennels and San Marino. Its easy enough to add the Ice Cream Run and/or more bits in the Gardens. Great Hill is a nice short cut to White Coppice but is going to be a very boggy mess for quite some time, or at leats until they finish slabbing it.

can’t see an email in your profile and can’t seem to add a GPX from bikehike. Post up email and I’ll send it over if you want it

Cheers
    Carlos

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Email is marcgardner868@yahoo.co.uk

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Darwen to Rivi’ is closed to new replies.