Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Dartmoor – where to start?
  • jamescoulson
    Free Member

Starting a new job in Plymouth next week and will be staying in a B&B near Yelverton for a week or two until I get sorted with somewhere to rent. I don’t know the area so any pointers as to where to start for some evening rides on Dartmoor?

snaps
    Free Member

You’ll be ideally situated for the Burrator/Princetown/Widowmaker trails – details Here

jamescoulson
    Free Member

Oooh, sounds good. Anywhere I can view them on an old fashioned map rather than a gpx file to download? Not got one of them new fangled gps things yet 😉

snaps
    Free Member

Try this done clockwise you can extend it by going straight on @ the stone cross near Whiteworks & do the decent down past the scout hut to Sheepstor.

ltheisinger
    Free Member

I am probably riding the route mentioned above not this Saturday, but the Saturday after – so if you want me to guide you then no worries – just send me an email (my email in profile) and we’ll sort it out.

We (me and a couple/few mates) ride all over Dartmoor and I think the following week we are doing the ‘Stepping Stones’ route from Postbridge if you fancy that?

Anyway buddy – if you’re interested let me know.

Cheers
    Leon

carlphillips
    Free Member

when you move closer to plymouth give me a shout…we are a small group based in plympton we ride 2-3 times per week mainly tues/thurs and sunday early morning, alternatively if you fancy a quicker paced ride then look up the yogi’s who ride tues evenings from 6pm in the b&q car park in plympton.

next sunday i should be riding out somewhere (if i finally finish off my stupid extension)…do you have transport? could meet somewhere and go on up to east dartmoor somewhere…

jam-bo

Grenofen woods is rideable from yelverton and good for a hour or two.

steel4real
    Free Member

Don’t get too excited by that ‘widowmaker’ tag, it’s about 20m of trail which qualifies for ‘technical’ by some folk and I suppose that for a lot of Dartmoor it is.

As da Jam man said above you are even closer to some sweet single track and a load of fun exploring between Yelverton and Tavi ie Grenofen area.

ltheisinger
    Free Member

My GPX says the widowmaker is 1.5miles long? But steel4real is right also as the Grenofen area is fun too!

steel4real
    Free Member

Deffinately different ‘widowmakers’ although the popular one also only seems to have about 20m of ‘interesting’ trail – the rest is just fast double track/fire road.

Always fun though 😀

jam-bo

The one I know is pretty rough and you wouldn’t want to come off on it but it’s not difficult.

Liking the cheeky descent off the mast at princetown at the moment.

crispybacon
    Free Member

James – another Dartmoor regular rider here. It maybe a bit short notice but i’m taking another STWer out on Dartmoor next monday 15th we are starting from Princetown @ 5 pm, if you are interested email me addy in profile. I maybe able to do other rides too in E.Cornwall.

Jam bo – the TV mast descent is a hoot & running fast in the dry. The top is a bog-fest in the wet tho.

julianwilson
    Free Member

I always understood the ‘widowmaker’ as being a bit of a tounge in cheek name for it. Its just doubletrack with lots of 10-30cm rocks, some fixed and a few loose, seemingly easier the faster you go but with a higher ‘failure penalty’, as in if you lost your front wheel you would be more than likely to land on something hard and pointy. Gives your bingo wings a bit of a shaking on the way down, and a moderately satisfying climb if you do it the ‘wrong’ way.

Loads of semi-cheeky round there too. Lights and someone to show you round when all the walkers have gone home would be ace. Yogi cycling do a not-too-strenuous group night ride on a thursday usually meeting at the car park in Yelverton. Never done the thursdsay rides, a few different faces from the ones I know but apparently they are a nice bunch.

slugwash
    Free Member

The Widowmaker…… quite steep and technical if you tilt the camera and take the shot from close to the ground 😉

jam-bo

the TV mast descent is a hoot & running fast in the dry

be careful, they’ve ‘modified’ it a bit and put some drainage channels in nearer the bottom. I hit one flat out and nearly ended up in the bottom of the big dip off the the left last time.

jamescoulson
    Free Member

Cheers all – can only do mid-week evenings at the minute until I get moved down properly. Carlphilips – will give you a shout!

carlphillips
    Free Member

mid week evenings is fine buddy, tues/thurs evenings someone should be about…

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

mid week evenings is fine buddy, tues/thurs evenings someone should be about…

I could potentially be working in South Devon on Thursday.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Dartmoor – where to start?’ is closed to new replies.