Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Dartmoor- teh rad
  • trailmonkey

Two days of the best riding I've had on Dartmoor in years. Baking hot sun, dry, dusty superfast trails, great company ( yes, even all day with Laurel and Hardy yesterday) 😉 and even found a new way to get up to the top from down below, well, as long as the rangers aren't looking. Marvelous. Any other Darty Moor types out at the weekend ?

qwerty
    Free Member

tis well wicked, nuf makes you stoked to da max man

simonralli2
    Free Member

Sounds excellent. Can you please arrange for the whole of October and November to be like that please, apart from the days I have to write essays and not get distracted by amazing riding 😀

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    sharki
    Free Member

i've always prefered staying down below once i'm there, heading to the top on some rides can prove a little off putting depending on the level of beer intake…..this is all better as the night draw i and the early morning walk is still in the dark.

carlphillips
    Free Member

mr monkey ive always been searching for a decent way up from reddaford water if you have any suggestions which dont involve cars i'd be interested..!!!

no riding for me this weekend, the mrs is away and i got the kids…

trailmonkey

apart from the days I have to write essays and not get distracted by amazing riding

That was my mission for the day. Sadly I failed. I'd been writing for 3 hours then got the call about a half 12 meet. Paying for it tonight though. Just about to wrap this assignment up for the night.

fmh, far be it for me to suggest such a move, but if you were to peel away from the Reddaford Water BW and to follow the Templr Way up to Haytor, it may just ease your climb a little. Of course I wouldn't personally ride on the Templer Way 😳

carlphillips
    Free Member

oh god no heaven forbid…(scuttles off to check my maps)

cheers

tim41
    Free Member

Trailmonkey did indeed spend the afternoon studying hard…..for new routes up to the top.

I took a few photos of our afternoon jaunt. My photo locations weren't very well planned in advance, more a case of, 'I've brought the camera so better get some shots, I'll go first and stop in the ferns somewhere halfway down the trail' The results aren't particularly picturesque, but we enjoyed the ride.

Trailmonkey 'studying hard'

Del

Shinythings

Anna

dramatic sky over yarner

a few more here

sharki
    Free Member

Whats with all the armour these days on dartmoor, what's wrong with the devon health care…..do you have inside information?

bassspine
    Free Member

Looks like a good day!

brambles, gorse, nettles, granite boulders. shinpads are just sensible.

sharki
    Free Member

ah, sensible, dunno what that, lots of letters in that one.

carlphillips
    Free Member

trailmonkey have you checked out the ace descent from OS edit:grid ref removed due to it being in one of sharki's photos!!the one of del) down to the river? quality little bit of quantockesque singletrack.

is that easdon in the background of TM studying? if so i think i know where that is and i normally have the pleasure of pushing/riding up that one my rides

i take it your non suggestion of not using the TW tops out at the top of yarner wood(after ahem 'not' going through it?) then take a little left on the road then hang it over the top down to smallacombe rocks? looks really good but i'll never use it as its cheeky! 😉

trailmonkey

some great photos tim,loving this one, nice new desktop for me 8)

fmh,yes it's easdon in the back. the trail is bowermans nose.

Burchy1
    Free Member

Good study session, i'm struggling a bit to work out which bit of Bowermans the pics are from, i've never noticed riding that close to a wall. Must pay more attention i guess.

slugwash
    Free Member

Looks like you all had a good day. I hope the weather holds out a few more days for the Welsh road trip 🙂

I didn't swing my leg over a bike this weekend 'cos I was out on long distance nocturnal kayak manoeuveres on Saturady night and aching all over for most of Sunday. It was a nice group paddle up to the pub at Tuckenhay for a meal and a few beers and then a starlit return journey with our kayaks and paddles causing trails of phosphorescence as we moved through the water. Magical 🙂

Anyway, here's a few piccies from a recent Dartmoor trundle I've been looking for an excuse to post. It's the Redlake/Avon Dam area if you're interested…

[img]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3480/3901383730_ab659a90a0_b.jpg[/img]

spacemonkey

Me and the gf rented a cottage near Crediton a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately couldn't take my bike but did manage to spend a fair bit of time on Dartmoor (and Exmoor) – cracking scenery it must be said.

Only saw one MTBer all week – and he was on the road.

Am thinking about heading down that way specifically for some riding. What's it like? Typical XC/endurance mixed with technical stuff? A fair amount of climbing and descending methinks?

SM

foxyrider
    Free Member

Yup I did a quick loop from Jays Grave, up onto the moor to Grimspound then aroud the bottom to challacombe down then up to Warren house then back over towards Manaton and back to Jays grave – about 2 hours loop – lovely weather – bone dry – Fantastic!

trailmonkey

dave – the wall is down the bottom end, after 'the bush' around about where the rock gardens start again.it's sort of behind you as you ride and you've ususally got other things to focus on.

spacemonkey – there's a huge variety of riding on offer. Tis true that there is plenty of gradient to be had but you can make it as hard or as easy as you like. As for the type of riding, again you can make it as hard or as easy as you like. You can just keep to forest roads or old railways if you're not after anything too demanding or you can scare yourself silly on some highly technical granite boulder fields. Plenty of locals on here to give you route advice if you do come down.

spacemonkey

Cheers Trailmonkey, I'll stick a post up when I know I'll be in the area.

julioflo
    Free Member

Trailmonkey, could do with being shown around a bit by you guys! Have ridden a fair bit on the moor, but need some new routes. Live in Plymouth but moving to Buckfastleigh soon, where are you guys based?

foxyrider
    Free Member

Bovey Tracey here!

sharki
    Free Member

Bridgwater…..HTH!

trailmonkey

julioflo – there are some guys on here based in plymouth and the west and some guys based around the east. I guess from Buckfastleigh you're kind of in the middle. Look out for rides on here and jump in if you can make it.

slugwash
    Free Member

….there are some guys on here based in plymouth and the west and some guys based around the east…

Not to mention some based around the South.

Dart Valley, julioflo, a bit further downstream from Buckfastleigh where the water's more saline!

trailmonkey

sorry rich,i'd just lumped you and si in with the east side posse dem 😳

slugwash
    Free Member

sorry rich,i'd just lumped you and si in with the east side posse dem

Kool, ma blood! Does that mean that I have to wear a Tupac T-shirt or a Biggy Smalls T-Shirt. Best I know to avoid drive-bys in the Denbury Projects 😉

Del

biggy smalls t shirt might be alright, but i'd go for a large if i were you 😉

carlphillips
    Free Member

plymouth here buddy, mail me if you want, we have a twice weekly nite ride (short most of the time 1hr-2hrs) around cann woods and surrounding, very social lots of stops and pith take. sunday morning rides on't moor but very early starts.

try the yogis also they have tues/thurs and weekend rides you could attend.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Anyone around Bovey? – 2 or 3 of us go out most sundays around the cleave, Manaton, Hound/Haytor, green lane etc – or blast it around Planation is weather bad,

ackie
    Free Member

Hey Sharki are you a Bridgy boy born and bred?
    If so what school did you go to?

julioflo
    Free Member

Fat-M-H, what nights,what time, Tues and Thurs? May well join you soon before I move to Buckfastleigh.

Slugwash – I work in Totnes, must be a little bit of riding around Totnes?

Shinythings
    Free Member

Only just seen this and have to add to the bigging up.
    As Le Singe said, that's two of the best wknds I can remember, with conditions near perfect and coinciding with everyone riding well and prepared to scare themselves (hence the armour). Almost every trail is running superfast and dusty dry!

Like the Yarner view Tim and Gold badge to Anna for effort. At this rate you'll following her 😀

Foxyrider, think I've ridden with you before along with Simon and Neil?

julioflo, plenty of good fun BWs around Totnes, Ashprington, Littlehempston

Slugwash, Drive-bys in the Denbury projects involve being mirror clipped in the arm by fat matriarchs cruising their Range Rovers

carlphillips
    Free Member

the yogi's ride tues around 6.30 in B&Q car park they have 2 groups normally fast (read bloody fast) for the whippet racers and steady group for the mortals.

thursdays i think is 7.15 at yelverton roundabout, best google them and chk their website

slugwash
    Free Member

I work in Totnes, must be a little bit of riding around Totnes?

I work in Totnes as well, and there's plenty of green lanes and bridleways in the area you can cobble together to make up a few routes. Where abouts do you work? I'm in Fore Sreet and cycle in from near Dartmouth most days.

sharki
    Free Member

ackie, no born Taunton, bred just south of Taunton and edificaed loosely at Heathfield in the 80's.

The caution signs on dartmoor need changing, 'no moor care'

Burchy1
    Free Member

Foxyrider – Member
    Anyone around Bovey?

There's only one man i know of…Some say he can steer his bike using only his lobster claws and that his brother in law is the missing link between man and chimp. All i know is he is called 'The Douglar' 😉

Olly
    Free Member

I moved down here (10 miles other side of exeter) 3 months ago and havent been over there yet. (or anywhere really) mainly cause no one to plaaayyy wwiiiitth :'(

any friendly weekend groups willing to show me the sights?

i notice that your all on big ish bikes and pads on your corners, is it "gnar to the max"?

Del

Olly,
    anyone's welcome at the church of d'mo, so long as they wipe their feet. there's riding every w/e, but sometimes organisation is somewhat last-minute ( and drunken ). we also ride haldon quite a bit. be up there riding on the ( very ) long-standing wednesday night ride tomorrow. ley arms cp in kenn at 6.30, or top of the cycle path by the a38 flyover/racecourse @ 7.

Del

oh yeah – i wear pads because i'm a big girls blouse and cos i can't ride a bike for toffee.

Olly
    Free Member

cool 🙂 im away as of lunch time today, and this weekend, but i will certainly aim to join some time 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Dartmoor- teh rad’ is closed to new replies.