Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Dartmoor Princetown Conditions
  • eviljoe
    Free Member

Anyone up there? We’re planning a ride round Burrator tomorrow, however there is a sensible bit of me that doesn’t want to get completely stuck…

What are the roads like around there?

Cheers

Joe

snaps
    Free Member

Joe, This webcam is near Princetown – most roads will be a bit iffy but the main road from Tavi to the prison is always cleared/gritted as a priority.

eviljoe
    Free Member

Cheers Snaps- good footage on the webcam of a black cat on a black night there 😀

snaps
    Free Member

Yes not a lot of good @ night but have a gander in the morning & decide.

bagpuss
    Free Member

Only 4×4 with proper tyres in Princetown earlier today, Trails magnificent though.
    Dartmoor Today

Not sure I’d want to drive anywhere up there tomorrow, road around Burrator was thick with ice/snow mix that will be frozen solid now. There were no cars there at lunchtime when we rode past the dam.

crispybacon
    Free Member

Personally I’d start at Yelverton/Dousland & not chance the drive to Princetown.

eviljoe
    Free Member

Dammit Bagpuss, those are good pics. Very tempting. But I think you’re right- discretion is the better part of valour

bagpuss
    Free Member

Cheers 8)

We went from Yelverton and the main road was ‘ok’, still any number of halfwits who think they are descended from Finnish rally champions on it though. You could try parking at or near to the Burrator Arms then head along to Iron Mine Lane, which will be like an ice rink but it’s only a short climb. Up that and off you go, on foot of course as there’s no legal trial there 😉

carlphillips
    Free Member

supposed to be fairly windy tomorrow too, was fine around cann woods this morning if not bloody hard work in powder snow!!

just walked back from a friends house, event he roads that were gritted earlier today are frozen solid now, i wouldn’t fancy driving up there…

Del

we were up around lusteigh/maniton today. plenty of fun, but not in a car. helped some chap in a 320d with m5 alloys and a set of rubber bands, who’d put it into the hedge intentionally, not realising the hedges tend to be quite solid round there…
    GF turned back @ ashburton. apparently cars were struggling to make the slope into the petrol station.

neilb67
    Free Member

Im going down to Penzance on Boxing Day and Im looking at doing something similar on Monday or Tuesday on my way back home. Just wondering if the road conditions have got any better in Princetown. Anybodys info would be appreciated.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Main road to Widecombe is fine but off it no chance – and at least 8 inches of snow up on Haytor – just managed a descent but its hard going!

jam-bo

Most main roads on the moor are clear, snow has either been stripped bare by the wind or drifted. I found some thigh deep stuff on the western side of the moors yesterday,

Off the gritted routes it’s like a skating rink.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Dartmoor Princetown Conditions’ is closed to new replies.