Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Dartmoor – Don't! (well, not in winter anyway)
  • tripler
    Free Member

Attempted a repeat of the ST “Coffin Road” route today across Dartmoor from Postbridge to Lydford and back. It took over six hours to do just 27 miles (had to turn for home at Peter Tavy), which (when you are used to averaging over 10 mph off-road) was crawling; sometimes literally.

Hats-off to the ST team for getting to Lydford; although I suspect they went when the ground was dryer, as I spent most of the day bike-carrying through knee-deep muddy marsh and rivers and battling deeply rutted monster hillsides.

So what started out (at least on my essential OS map) as a challenging but doable ride, the ride turned into a day-long slog and I am now nursing a smashed rear brake master-cylinder and suspected dislocated thumb thanks to an arse-over-bar episode.

So I’ve learned my lesson; consider the prevailing conditions before leaping in.

mark d
    Free Member

Hmm, here for two days, currently sat in a pub in Okehampton researching routes looking forward to an enjoyable ride in the sunshine tomorrow!
    Thanks for the heads up for conditions!

jam-bo

Don’t say I didn’t warn you. It wasn’t that good in summer…

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/issue-98-the-way-of-the-dead

jam-bo

Princetown/burrator loop will be in ok condition tomorrow.

tripler
    Free Member

Brake fixed today thanks to the great chaps at Bike Shed Crediton so I’ll have a crack at the Princetown/Burrator route; can’t be harder than yesterday…

ontor
    Free Member

Yeah – some routes are best avoided if it’s very sloppy. There’re some awesome opportunities in the frost though.

jam-bo

There were some dry-ish patches today

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Dartmoor – Don't! (well, not in winter anyway)’ is closed to new replies.