Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Darkside – whot tyr…
  • singletracksurfer

Got a CX bike that I want to get some tyres for to do some road riding when necessary.

Any recommendations or are they (as they look) all exactly the same?

Thanks

TheDoctor
    Free Member

best road tyres at the moment are continental gp4000s grippy and fast rolling.

Digimap
    Free Member

Or if you don't rate conti tyres then michelin pro race 3 are the nuts.

FuzzyWuzzy

Or as long as you don't get one of the dodgy recall ones then Schwalbe Ultremos every time for me, not that I can tell a whole lot of difference between them and the Pro Race 3's I had on before.

Gary_M
    Free Member

First off how much money do you want to spend? No point in recommending a tyre at £30 if you only want to spend a tenner.

At the moment I'm using Mechelinpro race 3's on my road bike and Michelin Krylion Carbons on my commuter and I'm very happy with both. Use Continental GP 4 Season (Duraskin)on my road bike in winter and they were very good.

Had a set of Schwalbe Stelvios on my road bike a couple of years ago and wasn't very impressed and I usually rate schwalbe tyres.

And if you want to spend a tenner then Bontrager Race Lite Hardcase were pretty puncture resistant, a bit 'wooden' feeeling compared to decent tyres though but fine for £10.

Oh and stop calling it 'the darkside' – its stupid and annoying.

oldgit
    Free Member

GP's, Pro Races all great but I've found that neither Vittorias or Vredsteins seem to cut up quite like Contis or Michelins.
    That's based on using GP's, Pro Race, CX Pros and Fortezas on the same routes.

njee20
    Free Member

I like the Hutchinson Fusion 2s. Never got on with Conti tyres.

singletracksurfer

thanks.

I have no knowledge of road tyres so was unsure of what was 'worth' spending.

got some old 'training' tyres but wanted something bit faster for long / group rides. happy to spend a around £20 odd a tyre so might see if I can find a deal on any mich pro race or conti gp4000s

MrSmith
    Free Member

make sure they are the 's' version not the standard 4000. the 's' have the new black chilli compound rubber.
    with road tyres the higher tpi means more grip and better ride quality.

Digimap
    Free Member

parker international do the 2009 pro3's for £25 notes, which is still pricey for a road tyre but better than the £35 RRP. You might find some 2008 pro3's knocking about still.

Gary_M
    Free Member

You might find some 2008 pro3's knocking about still.

Pro Race 2's?

Digimap
    Free Member

… checks bike… yes your right, pro race 2's.

sq225917
    Free Member

using ultremos after migration from Michelin pros, (slippy in wet) to Gp4000, (decent tyre).

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

gp4000s if you want to spend money.
    or Gatorskins which are a fair bit cheaper

crazy-legs

I'm using Specialized Roubaix Pro on my roadie commuter, they're very good and seem suitably puncture proof while being nicely fast rolling.

anagallis_arvensis

I never liked gatorskins, lacked grip, maybe that has changed

alwyn
    Free Member

I like Michelin pro 3 race, very fast and have a nice feel.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Darkside – whot tyr…’ is closed to new replies.