Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Darkside – Where to get STI shifters cheaps?
  • paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Any ideas? I need some road brake lever/shifter things, but they seem rather pricey. Any forums for roaders I should look at etc?

Ta.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Actually CRC have some Ultegra 10 x 3s for £140 down from £300, might give those a pop.

Could do with knowing how well they will work with my current 3 x 9 setup though? Also noticed that I’m two gogs behind when it comes to road! How has that happened?!?

If I want to go 3 x 10, do I need anymore than a new cassette and chain?

Cheers

cp

they wont work with your 9 speed. Spacings are all different – rear cogs being closer together to fit in the same space.

you either need 3×9 sti’s (Tiagra for new ones) or change rear cassette, chain, chainrings & probably rear mech as well…!

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Rear mech will work won’t it as the indexing is in the shifter? Or is it a different actuation ratio too?

Front chainrings? Will they not work? Could do with being able to order some bits now and the rest at the end of the month!

Cheers

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Shit me, chainrings are expensive! Looking at almost £100 for a set of three! I can get a Sora Triple chainset inc rings for £40. What’s the world coming to?

MrTall
    Free Member

I put a wanted ad up on here a few months back and got quite a few nice 9 sp pairs offered to me at a decent price.

Went for some mint all black 105’s in the end for £85 which have been perfect on my Fargo with Road BB7’s.

There will be plenty of people on here that upgraded to 10 sp and still have their old shifters knocking about. All the ones i bid for on ebay went for more than i paid and were in worse condition.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Yeah, everything on ebay keeps going for mega money. Going to order the 10speed Ultegras on CRC I think as it’s worth the extra for new shinyness and warranty. My whole drivetrain has never been touched (cleaned, serviced, replaced) in 6 years, I think I’ve oiled the chain twice. It’s all shot, so I’m going replace the cassette, chain, chain rings when I get paid.

I’ve got tri bars and shifters on, which I need to take off, hence the need for shifters, but it makes sense to combine with an overhaul. Once I’ve got that done and the extra gear that will satisfy my upgrade/new bike cravings for at least this year, so I can carry on with my off-road collection expansion.

MrTall
    Free Member

I looked at those shifters on CRC as they are a good deal and my road bike is still 9 speed.

By the time i added all the other bits i needed together it didn’t seem much cheaper buying it seperately than just grabbing a full groupset off Merlin etc.

Only thing i could have kept was the brake calipers but figured i’d end up upgrading those as well so everything matched. In the end i decided against it and it remains 9 speed.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Merlin have the 105 groupset for £350, which is a very good price, but it’s going to work out cheaper to go with those Ultegra shifters I think, I can get a suitable cassette for £30, chain for £20, then the front rings will either be fine or I’ll get a second hand 10 speed chainset from somewhere. The front rings have to be pretty battered not to work. That’s the good thing about road bikes, they don’t break as much!

anc
    Free Member

With dura-ace the 7800 9 speed front mech’s won’t work with the new 7900 10 speed shifters they’ve changed the pull ratio and done away with the trim facility you got with 9 speed shifters. Not sure if ultegra is the same but worth checking 😉

bullheart
    Free Member

+ 1 for the microshift range.

Get ’em on ebay from Hong Kong for very little with full warranty.

I like them better than tiagra/105

peachos
    Free Member

anc – FFS! You’d better be wrong!

anc
    Free Member

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/components/groupset/road/product/dura-ace-7900-groupset-09-34164

Mentions the revised pull ratio in this review, plenty on weightweenies about it too, not sure exactly how critical it is in the real world.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Thats Dura-Ace though innit, praying they didn’t filter the tech down to Ultegra, the swines!

Where’s a good roadie forum? Is there such a thing? I imagine it’s full of wierdos that know the answer to this….

anc
    Free Member

Looked into it last night, think your OK. From what I can gather they have only changed the pull ratio on the 7900 front mech. The swines(another how can we get people to spend more strategy) 😉 Sorry for worrying you, just thought it was worth checking out.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Yeah, no worries and thanks. I’ll apply my ‘I’m busy right now’ strategy to the situation. That is, I’ll hope it’s ok and swear a bit if it’s not. At the end of the day, I don’t use the front mech much anyway, so little that I can change gear and adjust the indexing each time to get it right, while I’m finding a new mech.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Darkside – Where to get STI shifters cheaps?’ is closed to new replies.