Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • darkside tyre advice
  • chriswilk
    Free Member

Looking for some tyres to stick on the cross/commuter bike.
    I will use them for:
    a few club TT
    tour O the borders sportive
    commuting – 20k each way

so want something that has reasonable performance and reasonable pucture protection. Also need them to be on the cheaper end of the price spectrum.

having zero knowledge, some basic pointers would be much appreciated.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Gatorskins prob the std advice, but £30 each.

It’s like “cheap. light, strong – pick 2” though.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Conti GP 4000S is the default roadie tyre, can usually find pairs for 50 quid.

J E James have the Michelin Pro 4 SC for something like 15 quid each but only in red 23mm. Very good tyres at bargain price.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

How often will you be using them for commuting? As mentioned Michelin Pro 4’s are available at bargain prices from a few places but I’d not really want to commute in them. A compromise might be a 25mm Schwalbe Durano or even the Michelin Pro 4 Endurance.

chriswilk
    Free Member

commuting will be the majority of the mileage

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Conti GP4000s 23mm on my road bike.

Conti GP 4 Seasons 28mm on my winter road bike/light commuter/general use bike.

Both have been pretty faultless.

ProBikeKit/Ribble etc doing them for less than £25 an end.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

I’d say the Michelin Endurance or Schwalbe Duranos are erring on the racier side. The GP4 seasons are an excellent tyre which errs on the robust side.

warton
    Free Member

GP4000s

I race on them, TT on them, club run on them and commute on them. fast rolling and durable.

back2basics
    Free Member

conti gators + 2

tthew

Conti Sport Contacts. Been using them for years, can’t remember the last time I had a puncture even after rollng over broken glass on a dark cycle path. http://www.wiggle.co.uk/continental-sportcontact-city-road-tyre/

edit – and signficantly cheaper than the GP 4 seasons.

TiRed

25mm Durano plus if you are really TT’ing. Folding Durano plus otherwise. Can’t get on with Continental. Whatever you go for, 25c should be the width.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘darkside tyre advice’ is closed to new replies.