Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Darkside sizing Q.
  • Jamie
    Free Member

Thinking about getting a road bike/hybrid thing for some training miles in the foreseeable. Never had a road bike so was hoping someone could give me a rough idea of what sizing i should be looking at, as it appears to be done different to good ‘ol inches.

I am 5’7″ with a 30″ inside leg in me cottoned socks, ride a 15″ Dialled Alpine. Thinking around a 46cm-ish should be about right. Is that correct?

woody2000

If it’s a horizontal top tube, then I’d say 50cm(ish).

aP
    Free Member

Go to your LBS and ask there.

baldSpot
    Free Member

same height as you and ride a 52cm road frame.

aP
    Free Member

Just to add another comment I’m 5’8″ and ride 56.5 top tube road bikes.

glenp
    Free Member

As with all bikes, the size is expressed in a totally useless way – the height of the bike is pretty irrelevant, since the seat pin does go up and down! I’m a shade over 5’8″ and I like a 53.5cm top tube with a 100mm stem and compact (drop) bars. Stem length and handlebar type are very important, because they can vary more than the difference between frame sizes.

I’d have thought you would need something like a 52cm top tube with maybe a 90mm stem and compact bars.

Personally I think hybrids are pointless, so I won’t comment on that save to mention that you need a longer top tube to get the handlebars where the hoods would be on a proper road bike.

glenp
    Free Member

aP – crikes! you must have long arms and torso.

aP
    Free Member

Yarp, although the scabs on my knuckles keep my fingers warm in the winter.

daveh
    Free Member

“Just to add another comment I’m 5’8″ and ride 56.5 top tube road bikes.”

And yet I’m 6ft 1in and ride a 56 top tube. A ‘real’ road bike will have you long and low, if like me you rate comfort over speed, a shorter reach higher front end is the way to go. There’s only one way to find out I think, find a good shop and try some out. As stated though keep and eye on stem length and bar ‘length’, they may confuse the comparison.

vdubber67
    Free Member

I’d give up with guessing based on height etc – go to a decent bike shop, sit on a few bikes, ask the salespeople to see what you look like pedalling etc.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Darkside sizing Q.’ is closed to new replies.