Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Darkside… Opinions on Giant Defy 1 & 2 and road bike kit
  • Paceman
    Free Member

I'm after a road bike up to approx £1000 for commuting (26 miles on road / sustrans), winter training, and some sportive events. I'd like something more race orientated than most winter/audax bikes, but with the ability to fit proper mudguards, and possibly a rack in the future.

The Giant Defy range seems to fit the bill and looks good value. I think a medium compact frame with effective seatube 50cm and effective toptube 54.5 should be right for me at 5'10. I'm not sure whether to go for the Shimano 105 equiped Defy 1 or or Tiagra equiped Defy 2 though. Both are a similar weight at around 19 lbs. Also not sure on double or triple gearing. I'll mainly be riding around the Sussex Downs so plenty of hills in there. I have a good level of bike fitness riding 4-5 times a week.

Any help and suggestions from those with darkside knowledge much appreciated! 😀

wors

They look really nice bikes lbs sell them, i think either one will be fine. I have a OCR which is a few years older but geometry is more or less the same. Go for it.

Paceman
    Free Member

Is the Defy 1 worth the extra £200?

druidh
    Free Member

I'd go for a compact double unless you're planning on loading it up and touring.

midlifecrashes

Tiagra works great, so no worries there, but if you are a serial upgrader, it's the highest 9sp group. STIs are so huge a part of the price of a bike or upgrade that you're building in a big hike if you don't go straight to 105. 105 STIs will do a triple anyway, so switching chainset to a triple or compact wouldn't break the bank. I'm very happy with my Tiagra SCR2 (Defy replaced SCR) and though I'm an inveterate upgrader on my mountain bike, just don't feel the need on the roadie. I'm 6'1" and have a large on Giant sizing. Almost never used the granny ring on my triple.

Paceman
    Free Member

Sounds like the compact double might be the way to go, and probably the Defy 1 10 speed Shimano 105 group over the 9 speed Tiagra kit on the Defy 2.

Davros23
    Free Member

I have the 2009 Defy 2 with compact chainset and it's a great bike but I will warn you the wheels aren't all that great, I've had to replace the rear wheel after less than a thousand miles due to popping spokes. It could just have been a bad build of course but I thought I'd take the opportunity to upgrade to something a bit better. Nevertheless I completed the Devil Ride last weekend and the bike performed admirably.

Paceman
    Free Member

Cheers Davros, if I take the plunge I may well get my LBS to hand tighten the spokes etc as factory built wheels aren't always the best in my experience.

If you don't mind me asking, what size frame are you on and what height are you?

oldgit
    Free Member

I had the SCR Ltd with Tiagra and compact, it was a fine all round bike, I even raced it.

Davros23
    Free Member

I'm 6' 0" and I got the ML (53.5 cm). It's a lovely fit.

mugsys_m8

They don't come with Giant's 'wheels' do they?
    If they do. Good Luck.

Having said that, Mrs Mugsy got £120 towards a wheel set of her choice from JE James after problems with the front wheel after having the rear re built on a Giant road bike with Giant wheels. I know of 2 other people who have got a similar deal from different LBS's.

wors

yeah, wheels were my first upgrade.

TheGingerOne

Be aware that you are highly unlikely to find a 2009 model year anywhere. They have been very popular according to my local lbs and you will more than likely have to wait for the 2010 bikes to turn up and the spec / price might not be as good.

trail_rat
    Free Member

unless your local bike shop has the bike in question in stock id look somewhere else. Unless you can wait till end of summer Defys were real popular due to rave reviews and giant have been out of stock for a fair while

Excellent bikes – Getting onto the 10spd system is worth while. As for compact vs triple i have a tiagra equiped SCr (like the chap above bought when 10 speed came down to ultegra and 105 was still 9speed ) and the triple has a 52 outer ring which when im TTing and group riding i find i like compared to a compact. weight difference given the range of gears is negligable really for a good all round bike. Touring/TT/Duathlon/Road racing/audaxing – mines done it all !

Was thankfull for my triple when climbing the lecht after 200k ….watching the guy infront double his milage by zig zagging up it

Paceman
    Free Member

The Defy 1 & 2 come with these wheels:

Rims – Mavic CXP22
    Hubs – Formula sealed Cartridge Bearing 24/28h
    Spokes – SAPIM Race, 14/15g

Lower down the range its Alex Rims, Formula 32H, and stainless spokes.

metalheart
    Free Member

I'd recommend a giant road bike to any mountain biker.

I have an 08 TCR2 (M/L as I'm just shy of 6') and I love it.

Had an ONCE team TCR before it so its not just luck.

I guess for me Giants are just the right bike. No desire for Italian booteeeq, or nothing as the G does everything I want it to (well I prefer it went up hills faster but suspect the bike itself may not be the reason)

I'd second going for compact chainset as it gives flexibility without ruining the aesthetics… 🙂

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

I have a Giant Defy 2.5. I swapped the FSA triple for a Tiagra double and find the ratios fine. I live in North Devon which has considerably bigger hills than Surrey and I've had no problems. There are a few 1:4 climbs on some of my training routes and I can get up these so long as I'm out of the saddle.

Paceman
    Free Member

Will I be able to spin up South Downs climbs with a compact double? Or will the gearing require out of the saddle power?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Darkside… Opinions on Giant Defy 1 & 2 and road bike kit’ is closed to new replies.