Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Darkside No Aero/Road Bikes only Time Trials
  • dsb181
    Free Member

I’ve seen a few of these run alongside regular time trials, does any body know if CTT have guidelines to equipment & clothing limitations? I can’t seem to fine any info on the site and wonder if it’s down to the discretion of the individual event organisers?
    Just after information relating to maximum rim depth and if skin suits would be permitted ect ect.

Very darkside I know and apologies to the mud kids.

phil40
    Free Member

UCI have rules, CTT are weirdly accepting, partially based on it is almost impossible for the national executive to agree on anything, so most things get by eg Nick Bowdlers weird and wonderful TT rig from last year BBAR!

Skin suits are fine, deep sections are fine, there are a couple of track front wheels that go over the line due to the amount of shielding.

My local club …a3crg have a variety of local rules, like having to ride with a working rear light, which we enforce during our summer weekly evening 10’s but even this is tricky to enforce for open events.

Time trialling was a real underground activity (hence the codes for courses) and I think a little of that anti disestablishment spirit remains…..or no one knows how to get the rules changed 🙂

phil40
    Free Member

Sorry just re read your post!

They will be subject to local rules, which will be made clear when you enter.

Our typical road bike rules are:
    No tribars
    Wheels can be a maximum of 30mm deep rims

That’s about it! It would be too hard to enforce skinsuits etc, our racers would start applying gaffe tape to hold down any flapping jerseys anyway!

lazybike
    Free Member

I’m not aware of any non aero classes…nothing stopping you from riding a road bike in a club/open TT. The race is against the clock, not the other riders 😉

njee20
    Free Member

I’m not aware of any non aero classes…

And yet the OP is asking a specific question about the events he’s seen!

As they’re run alongside a normal event there won’t be specific CTT guidelines – they won’t be officially licenced events. You’d have to ask the organisers how draconian they’re being re modern equipment.

They’re often called “Mercx Class” events I believe.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Usually local club events. I’ve not seen any printed rules (I don’t think ours has any) but you’re expected to compete in the spirit of the event. It is an interesting point though with road bikes getting more aero. I reckon 50mm wheels borderline. Skin suits not really in the spirit of things, even though there’s not a huge difference between that and a skin tight jersey and bib.

dsb181
    Free Member

Ah brilliant thanks for all the info guys. I did a couple last year (G10/42 & H10/17r) so they are out there lazy!
    Keen on doing more and agree it’s against the clock but also good to have a bit of competition rather than being down on anybody riding with tri bars.

Interesting phil CTT are talking about making a rear light compulsory and the helmet issue has been brought up again as far as I know.

lazybike
    Free Member

I did a couple last year (G10/42 & H10/17r) so they are out there lazy!

Thanks for making me aware…everyday’s a school day 🙂 I’ll look out for them..

mrblobby
    Free Member

Lazybike, check out the websites for your local road clubs. They often run non-aero TT out of season.

phil40
    Free Member

We run a summer league and kne tuesday evening is road bike night. It makes no difference which bike i am in though i am still slow 🙂

I think the national exec should put in helmet and rear light rules, they might be forced to if insurance requires it. Personally i think the rear light is more important than the helmet on DC courses.

lazybike
    Free Member

Lazybike, check out the websites for your local road clubs. They often run non-aero TT out of season

Cheers…will do.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

Our club does them to add a bit of variety to the normal club 10. Rules are no aero; no bars, deep/tri wheels, skinsuits, lids, shoe covers…
    Just turn up with your road bike and whatever you’d normally ride in. Normally quite well attended and the results are different from the usual.

TiRed

Westerly run TTS at Hillingdon circuit on every other Wednesday evening. This year there will be a pure road bike category. But I shall be riding my retro Shorter.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Darkside No Aero/Road Bikes only Time Trials’ is closed to new replies.