Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Darkside mudguards
  • BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Any recommedations on roadie mudguards? A standard plastic set were fitted on delivery of new bike, but they looked cheap and I never really liked them. Never got round to changing them but following a bike/lamppost interface (don't ask), I need to replace them and have been looking at clip-ons as they look ok. SKS race blades and Crus catchers both look ok. Bike is Specialized Tri-Cross and has eyelets.
    Cheers

cynic-al
    Free Member

Full length sks FTW.

trail_rat
    Free Member

tricross will take full length sks – only mudguards worth having – everything else is a compromise. raceblades are a token effort – as are cruds.

crikey
    Free Member

Cruds are way more than a token effort; I speak as someone who has used full length guards for winter training for years. Cruds, especially if you bodge a piece from behind the rear brake to the BB, provide pretty good rain protection and are easier to remove if the weather is good..

ourmaninthenorth

Full length, always. I'm a fan of Tortec's model with the reflective strip along the side and built in rear reflector.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Cruds, especially if you bodge a piece from behind the rear brake to the BB, provide pretty good rain protection and are easier to remove if the weather is good..

Why not just get the real thing (cheaper?) rather than bodge?

trail_rat
    Free Member

good luck getting cruds on a 32mm tire ….. then going off road- i forsee an accident wibble wobble – crunch !

0091paddy
    Free Member

SKS Chromoplastic. The only guards you'll ever need!

firestarter
    Free Member

another shout for sks here too

midlifecrashes

I have SKS and Zefal. Both are strong and up to the job, but the Zefals are much neater to look at, and doesn't catch on stuff. The clamp at the guard end of the stay is tapered so if you trim the stays (I used bolt cutters) so they don't protrude through you get a really neat job. The 45mm wide ones should do the job on a Tricross.

BenjiM

+1 for SKS

convert

Raceblades are silly and only should be considered as a compromise for bikes not designed for guards in the first place.

I've used SKS (esge in old money) at different widths for years and always done me proud.

If you have a proper special bike (tbh, no offence, but a tricross might not fit the bill here) a pair of these look more than a little tasty even if the price is eye watering.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Cheers folks, I'll have a look at the chromoplastics

takisawa2

SKS Commuters here. Rear has wrapped around the frame once & straightened up ok.

mieszko
    Free Member

SKS are great, they just work. Unfortunately new bike's fork does not have enough clearance for a full SKS on the front so I have to use the Crud Road, better than RaceBlades but not as good as the proper SKS chromoplastic guard. Also I did put the rear tail on the front guard for better cover so it doesn't spray as much water on my shoes.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Darkside mudguards’ is closed to new replies.