Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Darkside MTBers… Saddle Recommendations Please.
  • Shibboleth
    Free Member

I have a Spesh Toupé on my road bike – fine for shorter rides but I find that the edges start to rub after 50 miles or so, so looking to change it.

On my offroad bikes, I use SDG Bel Airs and Charge Spoons but don't get on with WTB Rockets. Hopefully someone else wheel have similar preferences and can point me in the direction of a roady saddle that's comfy.

(I've tried a Fisik Aliante – awful, and used to use a San Marco Rolls which was fine, but looks a bit crap on a carbon road bike!)

Thank you!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I have bel airs on my mtb's

I cant stand san marco saddles

I get on really well with the OEM cannondale saddles on the older bikes (wing on the MTB's and wing-ti on the road bikes) , to the point where I hoard them!

I might be interested in the toupe if your selling it.

leggyblonde
    Free Member

why not use a charge spoon?

druidh
    Free Member

I just love the Toupe actually. Done 100 mile days on it and it's just great. The new Specialized Romin SL looks great too, but I can't really justify changing.

paulfulford
    Free Member

I find Brooks saddles very comfortable but some may disagree 🙄 but that might not be the 'look' you want on a carbon bike

njee20
    Free Member

I also love my Toupe, but the Romin looks good and is getting excellent reviews, both from friends of mine and from the press. Maybe worth a look, more rounded than the Toupe.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Ignoring the fact that you said 'darkside' I'll give you my answer.

I use a selle italia slr c64 on my road bike and a slr kit carbonio on my cx bike – which I commute on a fair bit. Both are very comfortable for me.

You may think a full carbon saddle would be uncomfortable but it really isn't at all. Not cheap though.

anc
    Free Member

Sella italia slr xc gel on both my road bike and mountain bike, brill saddle just don't notice it which says a lot.

matthewlhome
    Free Member

i have bel airs on my mtbs too, why not use them on the road too? I do.

druidh
    Free Member

matthewlhome – Member

Well, I sit in a completely different position on a road bike than on a MTB, so it's very unlikely that an identical saddle would be best for both. Of course, if you don't mind compromising…..

traildog
    Free Member

I quite liked the Toupe, but recently changed it to a Phenom and find it much more comfy.

hp_source

I must admit I swap one of my saddles from my on-one to my road bike when I go out on it, the seating position will be different, but I still find it the most comfortable option, it's nothing special, just a bodyfit ti railed job.

Have a Charge spoon on my FS that I couldn't get on with on my road bike though so I guess it's just a case of suck it and see (not literally, that's be pretty manky!)

MrOvershoot

matthewlhome – Member

I used to manage almost any saddle but now have SDG Bel Air on all my bikes now MTB, CX & Road 🙂

Kuco

On my CX bike Very very comfy 🙂

On my mtb I have a SDG Bel Air which it nice.

trail_rat
    Free Member

ommm nom nom — perfect clash of old and new …. carbon + brooks 😉 super comfy

Mister-P
    Free Member

I have one of these and I like it a lot. I had a ti railed Aspide before it but this came along at the right price and was a few grams lighter.

Andyhilton
    Free Member

I have a charge spoon on my mtb and a charge knife on my roadbike. Both are really nice and comfy. I don't even notice the knife which has got to be a good thing.

nickc

I beam SDG I Fly solid enough to put the power down squidy enough to be comfy on long rides

MikeWW
    Free Member

I have a Toupe and really like it. However my son was suffering from exactly what you describe and went for the saddle that Kuco posted up(below) Its a slightly narrow cut and he thinks its great

matthewlhome
    Free Member

matthewlhome – Member
    Well, I sit in a completely different position on a road bike than on a MTB, so it's very unlikely that an identical saddle would be best for both. Of course, if you don't mind compromising….

I agree about the different positions, but after no end of different saddles, the bel air works for me on my singlespeed, 'normal' mtb and road bike. my old cross bike did have a flite on it, but it was white and matched the bike, and only had to be sort of sat on for up to an hour in cross races!

dustytrails

I'm with kuko – Flite ti on 1 mtb slrxp on other & flite carbonio on road

dustytrails

Oh I prefere the flites!! Is toupe right width??

Waderider
    Free Member

I started with a Brooks on my tourer. Now I just put them on all my bikes, don't care what it looks like. If I owned a time trial road bike and it didn't have a nice comfy weighty Brooks on it I'd regard it as an incomplete bike.

alexxx
    Free Member

i find my slr really uncomfortable, fizik saddles seem to do me proud tho

epicsteve
    Free Member

Brooks B17. They do weigh a fair bit but once they've done a few miles they're amazingly comfortable.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Thanks for all the pointers chaps, the Toupé is 143mm which is the right width for my sitbones, I just find the sharp edges on the cutaway sides start to rub, and it wears the stitching on my shorts very quickly.

I tried the Toupé on my RoadRat and it was horrifically uncomfortable, but fine on the road bike, so the different posture makes a huge difference to saddle choice.

Off to Ribble Cycles now to see if I can try any of the ones mentioned.

Cheers!

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Darkside MTBers… Saddle Recommendations Please.’ is closed to new replies.