Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Darkside: is a 10 speed campag drivetrain compatible with a shimano cassette?
  • el_boufador

Hello,

Rear wheel on the road bike has given up. It's a 10 speed campag wheel. All the rest of the drivetrain (shifters, mechs, chain etc) is 10 speed campag too.

If I buy a shimano wheel and stick a shimano 10 speed block on it, will it work or not?

Ta!

dano
    Free Member

no

TheDoctor
    Free Member

dano – Member

no

What he said

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

[/thread]

clubber
    Free Member

Crc do a campag spaced cassette that fits a shimano wheel iirc. Ambrosio maybe?

clubber
    Free Member

This in fact but they don't have it in stock

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=35829

foggy
    Free Member

The chain width and therefore cassette spacing is slightly different so it's a no go with a shimano cassette. Mavic do conversion cassettes as well though. See last comment on here…

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/mavic-m10-cassette-item63290.html

tonyg2003

Marchisio do cassette that work both ways too

el_boufador

thanks all!

aracer
    Free Member

A slight additional point needs making though. A Campag cassette is wider than a Shimano one, so whilst you can get something which fits on your cassette body, that doesn't mean you won't have problems with the rear mech hitting the spokes, or the smallest cog hitting the chainstay.

PaulMcG

Sorry all, gonna disagree slightly….

The sages will tell you 'no', but in practice it's 'sort of'.

I've got a bike with 10-speed Campag Veloce. I've also got a couple of wheels with 9-speed Shimano cassettes. They work fine – a little noisy and ragged, and changes are not always smooth, but it works well enough that I've raced (including a 180mile ultra tri thing) on this combination.

Cheers

Paul

goldenwonder
    Free Member

IF you want it to index & run properly then no, it won't work.
    If you're happy for it to be noisy, clunky & not very nice to ride, then yes it'll get you by.

TheBrick
    Free Member

In what way has the wheel given up? If it's just the rim just rebuild the wheel or get it rebuilt if you can't do it yourself.

RestlessNative
    Free Member

American classic do a conversion cassette to, I have one on my spare shimano hubbed wheels that I use in my campag cross bike for road, works fine

fingers202
    Free Member

see my post re Campag specific wheels for sale….ideal replacments…. 😀

kinger

well despite it not supposed to work….

I popped my rear Chris King road hub with a Sram 10 speed cassette into my Dad's Record 10 equipped bike and it worked absolutely perfectly without even any need for adjustment.
    I know it shouldn't have but it did :-/
    Stu

thesurfbus
    Free Member

I am using an Ambrosio Campag evolution cassette on a shimano wheel, and it works OK, I get slight chain rub on the spokes in 1st gear, and the small sprocket doesn't engage on the cassette body it just kind of dangles on the end, but I have done the lockring up tight and it seems to work OK.

warton
    Free Member

why don't you just buy a campag compatible wheel?

el_boufador

In what way has the wheel given up?

Spokes keep breaking on the non-drive side (fatigue I presume). Rim is very concave/worn. This would be OK if it was a standard rim, but it isn't – It's a campag wheelset – rims are very hard to come by (i have tried)

why don't you just buy a campag compatible wheel?

That's probably exactly what I will do. I just asked the question to see if, in the event of a shimano compatible wheel catching my eye, it would work

aracer
    Free Member

This would be OK if it was a standard rim, but it isn't – It's a campag wheelset – rims are very hard to come by (i have tried)

What's the spoke pattern? If it's something which can be laced onto a normal rim (bearing in mind I'm using a handbuilt rear with a normal rim and a Campag style twice as many driveside spokes), then just replace with a different rim on the hub you already have.

el_boufador

It's a weird spoke pattern. 27 holes – 9 groups of 3. Within each group one spoke is non-drive side and the other 2 are drive-side.

aracer – is this the same spoke pattern as you have? If so what rim have you re-laced with, and how? any pics?

aracer
    Free Member

Mine is a 24 hole rim on a 32 hole hub – I only lace half the NDS spokes on the hub, so effectively 8 groups of 3. 27 is more problematic – should be possible using a 36 hole rim skipping one hole in 4, though you'll need a symmetric rim (ie no spoke offset), which effectively means some sort of deep section. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=17152 is I think a possibility.

Mine is based on the build shown in http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25622

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Darkside: is a 10 speed campag drivetrain compatible with a shimano cassette?’ is closed to new replies.